Which tyres?

Hi Folks,

I have been reading about tyres on the forum after a search but there have been some new tyre models released so:

I have tyre size 235/45/18 on the Superb 3. I live in the UK and do a combination of country B roads and prime motorways.

Currently looking at:

• MICHELIN CROSSCLIMATE+ XL - 235/45/18 98Y

• Michelin Primacy 4 235/45 R18 Y
  • Continental ContiPremiumContact 6 235/45 R18 98Y XL

Want I want is tyres that will give me a lot of mileage. I do 16000k miles a year. I don't want to be spending £800 a year on tyres.

Thoughts? 

The Country B roads suggests you should go for all season tyres like the cross climates, as not always treated in winter

Hear very good things about Vredestein Quatrac 5s and Cross climate plus

There is older cross climate (without plus), and Nokian weatherproof also get good ratings,  others in that size include Kleber quadraxer and Goodyear vector 4 seasons (Generation2)

Its a good idea to swap front to back between 10k and 12k Miles, will make them last much longer, otherwise 2 will wear out.   (If you have 4x4 don’t let tread depth vary by more than 2.5mm as the different circumference will stress the 4x4 system, and what you save delaying the tyre swap, might come back to bite you big time in haldex repair)

If any tyre tyre looks like it is wearing quicker on its shoulder then get a 4 wheel alignment done ASAP.  Much cheaper than replacing a tyre month later.

Edited by SurreyJohn

I have Uniroyal Rainsport 3 fitted now.  Part of the Continental tyres family.  Fitted as a set (4x4) in order to avoid any possible issues with tread depth winding up the transmission (though it shouldn’t these days).  Only done around 1,500 miles on them and the car goes to auction shortly so someone is getting almost new tyres.  Previous set (Pirelli) were on their last legal microns of tread so needed doing.

I have a uni royal on my back left. Due to my continental picking up a puncture and the garage wasn't able to get a replacement in time. It is wearing out noticeably faster than the continentals. So won't be getting it again. 

How do people find wear on the cross climates? I had read that wear wasn't great and that when the tread started to go down the tyre wasn't as good on the road. 

Edited by neonplanet40

Just to add another option to the mix...

Nokian Weatherproofs are available in 235/45/R18 98 (~£150/corner). Another all season tyre, but a winter tyre adapted to summer use. I expected the wear to be poor, but it's anything but. 25K on the fronts before swapping at 4.5mm. The rears went to the front, and 5K later they are still on 6mm (MOT done today - they were 6.5mm 12K ago). A-rated wet grip, and as you might expect from a Finnish tyre company, very competent in the snow.

I've fitted the CrossClimate+ and I'm very happy with them, but I can't yet comment as to longevity. Handling is fine, snow performance really good, and road noise down quite a bit.