Non starting fabia - help!!

I have a 2007 Fabia 1.4 16V. 3 days ago it would not start (no sign off life from either starter or solenoid) I have fitted new starter & battery, still nothing, lead into solenoid is not broken (have removed some insulation as far back as I can & checked continuity to plug end which there is). All dash lights come on I can hear fuel pump priming but no life at starter. I have put a multimeter to solenoid plug lead with key in start position and could not get any voltage signal. Any ideas...?

I have just removed positive fat black lead from starter (presume goes direct to battery)  and done a continuity test between it and the engine block - there is a continuity signal. So my positive starter lead is earthed somewhere...?

There are two fat black leads, aren't there? One with a protective cover over it, one going to one of the starter mounting bolts. Which one have you removed?

Tempted to think ignition switch.  Not sure how easy it is to access, but pin 5 of an 8-way connector on the ignition switch is the inboard end of the solenoid wire.

• Like 1

There are two fat black leads one is to the motor mounting bolt (earth) which is securely connected, I have disconnected the other one which is definitely the positive to the battery. I get continuity between the disconnected positive cable & the engine block, so this cable must be shorted somewhere between starter and battery?

Nope. The battery is removed. I have even disconnected the other end from the plastic battery cover so I have both ends not connected to anything. Still gives continuity between the cable and engine block.

1 minute ago, Wino said:

Weird. Is the battery completely flat then?

It was 3 days ago. I charged it overnight & it went dead again over the course of the next day. I can only get it charged upto about 10v which is no good to anyone. Guess the voltage is leaking away due to a shorted positive cable....

Update - dead battery caused excess current through ignition switch, cost of switch £46 via Skoda dealer. My costs are auto electrician £45 call out, £80 labour so far (waiting for switch from dealer) plus approx £75 new battery.