Touareg rearview mirror - yes, it can be done

Just upgraded to a black Touareg mirror today from the standard auto dimmable mirror. 

It's a straight swap and you get to have the ambiental lights shining down on the dash.

Waiting to get dark now and check the effect. will add more pics. Really excited about this because I have the superb cat vision both front and back. The mirror lights should shine down on the dash while the ceiling lights shine down on the gear stick/cupholder area.

Mine came from a 2007 Touareg and cost 40£ shipped to Dk - part number:  7L6 857 511

IMG_20180516_161937.jpg

IMG_20180516_162058.jpg

• Like 1

Yes - it was a straightforward fit. Worked out of the box.

I don't know about the exterior mirrors as mine are not dimming but I would think it does as it's the exact same part with just two extra lights in the bottom. Same plug, same number of cables - same everything. 

1 hour ago, chrisvectra said:

Shame you didn't do a How too as that mod looks fantastic

I will make one when I get the chance these days :)

6 hours ago, Inex said:

Yes - it was a straightforward fit. Worked out of the box.

I don't know about the exterior mirrors as mine are not dimming but I would think it does as it's the exact same part with just two extra lights in the bottom. Same plug, same number of cables - same everything. 

The only way to tell is to open the mirror up and see if it has 6 wires all connected as 2 of them do side mirrors, but easy change over if plugs are the same 

Yep, plugs are thee same. The entire thing is the same except that it has these red LED's which seem to be always on with the ignition. As opposed to the ceiling red lights that are only on with the side lights or headlights

So what did the led cable plug into then cos obviously there's nothing there to power in the octy version? On the superb mod you splice it into the lighting loom to give it power so is this similar?

I would want the lightning operation of LED's to be selective and for me the red color doesn't match the current lightning of the interior and philosophy.

Just an opinion..

Otherwise the mod is nice..