Garage done right or wrong?

Last Monday I took my 1.9 sdi estate for its MOT and it failed on two broken springs, one front and one diagonally opposite on the back. He suggested we replace all four which I agreed to. When I picked up the car the following day it looks markedly lower than it did before, and now the plastic tray below the engine catches on all the speed bumps as I pass over them. Someone suggested to me that they have fitted the wrong springs, maybe ones meant for a hatchback, not an estate. Could this be right?
Also the chap who did the work on the car told me that a bolt or nut had sheared off when removing a CV joint so this joint had to be replaced too. I am not technically minded, but again the same friend (he's a mechanic) suggested that they didn't need to remove the CV joint - again is this true? (The front spring to be replaced was offside, the CV joint replaced was nearside.) Please don't laugh at my ignorance if the answer is obvious!! :) Am I being paranoid or do I need to go back and see them? ...

The front springs can definitely be replaced without removing the hubs and not disturbing the CV joints but it's easier in the long run to remove the whole hub with strut still attached which means pullling out the CV joints from the hub. The driveshaft nuts must be replaced if removed as they have safety ratchet tags on them which engage with the hub splines and break off or deform on removal. I don't know why he would need to replace an actual CV joint though unless he chewed up the thread on it.

tags76789.png

It does sound like they've fitted the wrong springs. I replaced all four of mine and had no problems with ride height. They might have fitted springs for a petrol engined model which have lighter engines.

Edited by TMB

27 minutes ago, TMB said:

The front springs can definitely be replaced without removing the hubs and not disturbing the CV joints but it's easier in the long run to remove the whole hub with strut still attached which means pullling out the CV joints from the hub. The driveshaft nuts must be replaced if removed as they have safety ratchet tags on them which engage with the hub splines and break off or deform on removal. I don't know why he would need to replace an actual CV joint though unless he chewed up the thread on it.

tags76789.png

It does sound like they've fitted the wrong springs. I replaced all four of mine and had no problems with ride height. They might have fitted springs for a petrol engined model which have lighter engines.

I too suspect they have fitted springs for a lighter variant if it it lower.

Just now, alfalincs said:

I too suspect they have fitted springs for a lighter variant if it it lower.

Yeah, seems very likely.

Thanks, I'm going to ask another friend tomorrow (also a mechanic) to have a look. To be honest the chap I am seeing tomorrow is the one who I would have preferred to have done the work in the first place, but the chap who did the MOT pretty much made me believe that I would be illegal on the road if I took it to him, even though the previous test certificate doesn't run out til 23rd May. Not sure if he was talking gibberish or not.

He might be being a bit wary about the conditions surrounding the latest update of the MOT regs, so was playing safe.

I'd be very concerned about giving any work to a mechanic that slapped on any new/used springs they had lying around and sent you on your way car now very much lowered, unless you had confirmed that you'd really appreciate if it was lowered while replacing all the springs!

Another thing to think about is if the springs are sagging because they aren't rated for your vehicles weight, then it won't be long before they snap too and then you are back to square one. Also they will settle so will only get lower.

• Like 1

if you take your car for an MOT before the test certificate expires and you get a fail iirc it's illegal to drive on the road as technically it's been tested and isn't roadworthy regardless of having a week or w/e left on the current cert.

@Xoij, it depends whether the failure(s) are classed as dangerous or not. This is from gov.uk website

Driving a vehicle that’s failed

You can take your vehicle away if:

• your current MOT certificate is still valid
  • no ‘dangerous’ problems were listed in the MOT
  • Otherwise, you’ll need to get it repaired before you can drive.
  • If you can take your vehicle away, it must still meet the minimum standards of roadworthiness at all times.

The minimum standards of roadworthiness link takes you here: https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-safe