Just bought myself a bike for recreation and fitness - Newbie Q's ahead !

Mr Grump

Ok so its around 18 years since I rode a pushbike in earnest, and decided I needed to rectify that and get some cycling done with a mate for fun and exercise.

I have ordered a Hybrid - Cannondale Speed Cx4.

3 questions to start with:

1.  I am not a light bloke, what sort of tyre pressures should I run (700c x 38c is the size I believe).

2. Does anyone have any recommendations or knowledge of a suitable stand for this bike ?

I like the look of this but no idea if it will fit or is suitable: https://www.amazon.co.uk/BV-Kickstand-Bicycle-Center-Mount/dp/B00LNLXML4/ref=sr_1_2?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1527014743&sr=1-2&keywords=bike+stand&refinements=p_89%3ABV

3. Best oil for chain ? (preferably a non fling one).

1) - Also depends on the (unstated) tyre and valve types. Some tyres will state a recommended pressure.  Presta valves will allow higher pressures than Schraeder (car tyre) or Woods valves.

2) My preferred stand when away from home is called a "steel railing". Chain the bike to the railing.

3) A very light spray grease.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Mr Grump said:

1.  I am not a light bloke, what sort of tyre pressures should I run (700c x 38c is the size I believe).

My Cyclocross (CX) bike [A Boardman CX Comp] has its tyres (700cx37) at 65PSI which is the maximum for my Schwalbe tyres - I'm 130KG (also cycling for leisure and fitness)

I would suggest that you would be fine at a pressure around the same as mine.  Though if you are lighter than me (most people are!), you could drop the pressure a bit for a more comfortable ride on rougher stuff.

2. Does anyone have any recommendations or knowledge of a suitable stand for this bike ?

I like the look of this but no idea if it will fit or is suitable: https://www.amazon.co.uk/BV-Kickstand-Bicycle-Center-Mount/dp/B00LNLXML4/ref=sr_1_2?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1527014743&sr=1-2&keywords=bike+stand&refinements=p_89%3ABV

If you have large feet, be careful when using any kind of stand.  I have size 11's and just bought and fitted a side attached stand, and I occasionally catch it with my cycle shoe/trainers (doesn't matter which I'm wearing)

3. Best oil for chain ? (preferably a non fling one).

Depends on time of year and weather.  My winter lube is Ceramic based wet lube (same as THIS one). my summer lube is also wet (THIS ONE)but doesn't have the nano-ceramic bits in.  Your local independent cycle shop would be able to advise on performance/price comparison.

I just ordered an Ursus Wave stand, will have to see how I go as I have size 11/12 feet !

I can make you feel a bit better, as I carry another 5kg over you ;)

I also found I have some Muc-off Dry lube that I bought for another hobby use, so as bike chains are its intended purpose, I will try that first.

Edited by Mr Grump

47 minutes ago, Mr Grump said:

I just ordered an Ursus Wave stand, will have to see how I go as I have size 11/12 feet !

I can make you feel a bit better, as I carry another 5kg over you ;)

I also found I have some Muc-off Dry lube that I bought for another hobby use, so as bike chains are its intended purpose, I will try that first.

Let me know how the Ursus Wave stand goes, as I might swap mine for one if you don't catch your cruise ship sized feet on it :) 

Edited by hwr1983
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...

Update as I have been neglecting this for a bit.

Regards the stand, I can not find anything to fit, or at least could not when I was looking at the time I got the bike. I have since given up and lived without.

I did a handful of trips last year, probably not much more than 100 miles all in.

The bike has been good so far, I mail ordered it so had to set up the gears myself, as they were not set right although everything was supposed to have been done.

Wheels were OK although not perfectly straight, but I did have one spoke work loose in the rear which I fixed at the expense of trueness, I really should take it to someone who knows what they are doing and get them trued !

I also added a more comfort oriented seat !

In September I moved house, about 7 miles from were I was, and thought I lost my cycling partner in crime, but no, being as he is much fitter than me he often passes past my new area on his journeys. :)

I knew from googling beforehand, there should be some nice quiet roads out this way, and he found a nice route for me which we both tried out last week.

Today I did it solo, a 10.5 mile round trip which I completed in 58 minutes (not bad for a 52 y/o, overweight, unfit bloke, I thought), and managed to get some mud on the tyres !

Its also pretty flat, so that helps !

The route has about 3 miles of grass/dirt track, A small probably less than a mile section of standard width B road. and the rest comprised of narrow, mostly traffic free country roads.

A quick breather at a passing spot halfway along the route:

EUIstfs.jpg

There is a variation on this route which adds about another 8 or so miles, and has a nice riverside pub, incentive enough for a nice summers day ride with a pint before the return leg ;)

Edited by Mr Grump
  • Like 1

Enjoy yourself.

I would recommend getting someone just to tweak your gears and get them right, and do not put off getting the wheel trued. A 5 mile walk home is a PITA.

Had to do that.

That seat / sofa fitted is supposed to be for comfort, worth getting rid of.

• Like 1

OK why would my slightly out of true wheel do anything worse than be a little wobbly ? … I do intend to get them done, just curious.

The gears I believe are now correct, not had any issues since I set them up following some you tube instructional vids,, but might ask the shop to check it over when they do the wheels.

Whats wrong with my seat ? I ain't gonna want to be on the bike long with something uncomfortable !

Yes the  Selle Royal may be not as aesthetically pleasing as the supplied unit, but my derriere and man-parts thank me for that (although even that could be improved) :D

Meat space ?  that's a term I have not heard before !

Well, this may sound counter-intuitive, but I always found a wide-backed saddle uncomfortable for riding with rather than just sitting on.

"Meat space" is the opposite of "cyberspace".

On 01/04/2019 at 15:00, Mr Grump said:

Yes the  Selle Royal may be not as aesthetically pleasing as the supplied unit, but my derriere and man-parts aren't very aesthetically pleasing either.......

That's what i thought you were going to say. :giggle: ......................... Sorry.

Oh yes, if you are happy with your gears i would suggest not asking the lbs to check them.

It would depend on the ability of the technician / mechanic, but why mess with if they are good.

i wouldn't worry of a slightly out of true wheel tho i would worry why a spoke had come loose in the first place.

I've been riding for many years and never had a spoke come loose (excluding the time where i totaled my DiamondBack Sorrento bike after trying to descend a boulder track meant for testing off road vehicles.

i have rebuilt a wheel before, that was fun.......

On 03/04/2019 at 16:57, Tilt said:

Oh yes, if you are happy with your gears i would suggest not asking the lbs to check them.

It would depend on the ability of the technician / mechanic, but why mess with if they are good.

i wouldn't worry of a slightly out of true wheel tho i would worry why a spoke had come loose in the first place.

I've been riding for many years and never had a spoke come loose (excluding the time where i totaled my DiamondBack Sorrento bike after trying to descend a boulder track meant for testing off road vehicles.

i have rebuilt a wheel before, that was fun.......

It was sadly a reasonably frequent problem when I was racing in the eighties and nineties, but only with racing wheels. I used 18mm Mavic CX18 rims, 24 spokes and Wolber Record Piste tubular tyres, inflated to around 170psi. Used to have the wheels trued every couple of weeks, fortunately a few guys in the club had trueing stands and the knowledge.

A 'larger' chap riding stock machine built wheels, with potentially low spoke tension, you can often get enough tension off a spoke for it to go loose and unwind a bit. A bit of wobble isn't likely to be fatal and for what you are doing it will almost certainly be fine. If it bothers you, then take them to a good wheel builder and ask their view. it might be that a re-tension and true up is all they need to make them perfect.

Just had the LBS true the wheel for me, cost £16 which I thought was pretty reasonable as I just wheeled the bike in and picked up later.

He has done a great job,  so once I got it back I gave it a wash and re-lubed.

As my brakes have been groaning since I got the bike and haven't desisted as I thought they would after some time, I took out the pads and sanded them, cleaned disks and reassembled.

I didn't have any copper grease. so used some spray lithium grease on the back of the pads and pin/retaining clips, if that doesn't cure it some copper grease is on the way :)