Removing the cup holder by the handbrake

Hi guys, I'm looking at installing an ipod in the cupholder next to the handbrake (laying flat with foam inlay and cabled to head unit). I have a few questions that I would be grateful if you could give me some pointers on:

1.) Is there a haynes manual or equivalent for the superb... if not is the 2004ish passat manual good enough (I know the chassis and engine are similar but is the interior)

2.) The cup holder appears to be a separate component to the rest of the handbreak area, how easy is it to remove?

3.) Are/were there any alternative shapes for this holder released that I could order (a simple rectangle would be easiest)

4.) How difficult will it be to run a cable to the HU under the center console/handbreak area (from said cup holder)

Cheers,

Jim B

Hi guys' date=' I'm looking at installing an ipod in the cupholder next to the handbrake (laying flat with foam inlay and cabled to head unit). I have a few questions that I would be grateful if you could give me some pointers on:

1.) Is there a haynes manual or equivalent for the superb... if not is the 2004ish passat manual good enough (I know the chassis and engine are similar but is the interior)

2.) The cup holder appears to be a separate component to the rest of the handbreak area, how easy is it to remove?

3.) Are/were there any alternative shapes for this holder released that I could order (a simple rectangle would be easiest)

4.) How difficult will it be to run a cable to the HU under the center console/handbreak area (from said cup holder)

Cheers,

Jim B[/quote']

I am afraid that I can't answer your questions direct mate but as far as I know there is no Haynes Manual available and the Passat interior will definately be different.

As for running a wire from the head unit to the centre console, that will not be a problem, installing my car kit was very easy and that's a similar process.

If anyone can answer these questions then I'd be interested to know though.

I think I can remember seeing that arrangement of cupholder on another VAG car but can't remember which one. Easiest way is to just look in a few parked Passats to see. As for running the wire the surround (wood or plastic) can easily be prised up and the cable run under it as long as it is not too thick.

I have a Passat manual and most of the interior stuff is similar, the thing is the centre consul is the other way round in a Superb compared to a Passat (like its handed).

I would like to remove that shoddy cup holder, id like a covered drawer (like the new passat has there)

Hi guys, thanks for all the info... I'll get a passat haynes manual and have a play.

"installing my car kit was very easy and that's a similar process." - I've been looking at installing my ericsson HBH30 but was unsure of where to wire the microphone up to as there are airbags everywhere!

"As for running the wire the surround (wood or plastic) can easily be prised up and the cable run under it as long as it is not too thick." do you mean the part surrounding the handbreak/gearstick area or the fascia around the radio?... what is the clipping mechanism... is there any danger of me breaking it by prising it up?

Many thanks,

Jim B

Bugger, got brave and started looking pulling bits off... the veneer bits (black on mine) come off really easily which is a pleasant suprise (thanks for the tip guys).

I then decided to take the armrest to pieces... I removed the velour interior of it no prob, and was just poking around to try and get to the cup holders when I knocked something and now the little tray at the front of the armrest won't stay closed:mad: I'm not incompetant but I can't for the life of me see the mechanism that catches it shut... I guess it must have fallen off through my oafing:(

Anyway... after all that I still couldn't get the sodding cup holder out (looked from both the gear stick and armrest side... I guess it is screwed on from underneath and you have to remove the whole handbreak surround!! Oh well I'll get there!

The three things I intend to get done are... Ipod dock in the cup holder (proving to be a pain), playstation 2 in the glove box (that should be easy enough.. I have all the bits), and install a car kit (everything fine apart from where and how to wire the microphone up)

Cheers,

JB

Good luck with your progress mate, I'm guessing that the return catch which is stopping your little tray in front of the armrest is part of the toothed cog that opens the mechanism? - Just a guess mind as I have seen that type of mechanism on similar things.

I haven't long put a Parrot car kit in mine. The microphone lead I have run inside the windscreen pillar trim, and placed the mic at the top of the trim as the wire comes out from under the trim. The panel above the knees was interesting, as was the dash lower half (with the light switch in) which you need to remove to easily run the wire. The main control box is inside the central console on the right side, but the hardest thing was getting the radio plugs all pushed back in and the radio sat right.

I would say now though that the Parrot kit is way way easier to fit with its inline plugs than any of the 4 Sony HBH 30 kits I fitted to our VW vans...no cutting of wires involved, and a much better conversation too.

• 2 weeks later...

Re the little toothed cog, that just damps the opening so it feels more quality... apparently the catch is integrated into the opening and closing system.

Kentish, does running the wire up the windscreen pillar not effect the air bag that claims to be there... or is that just a badge?

Cheers,

JB