Auto/remote start

I have just realised that I will almost probably miss my heated front screen (had one In every car for the last 15 years) when the winter months come. Being a shift worker I’m often out before the sun rises over the house opposite and will have to learn how to scrape a windscreen. Have any of you had any form of auto or remote start fitted or know of a decent system that will be compatible with the car? 

54 minutes ago, Offski said:

One bottle of Night-Before De-icer would do the job for every winter in your area would in not?  £2.99 a year.

Ain't gonna get your interior all nice and toasty though, is it? ;)

Edited by juux
typo

2 hours ago, Offski said:

Juux,  Location location location,  like how many nights this winter were at 0*c or lower in the south of England?

So looking at the Webasto fully fitted  for a couple of grand,  I could scrape some ice off. 

I have found a place that charge £400 for a Clifford Viper remote start system fully fitted, I’d pay that but my missus will still have me scrape the ice off and keep the money

Thats crazy! Its a 7900sek (£675) factory option on a new Superb here.
Thought it might cost a bit more to add later but not more than triple...

Edited by ewlmr

7 minutes ago, ewlmr said:

Thats crazy! Its a 7900sek (£675) factory option on a new Superb here.
Thought it might cost a bit more to add later but not more than triple...

I would suggest a large number of the Webasto units are fitted to cars in your part of the world and therefore give VAG massive buying power and slotting it in during build is effectively free fitting compared to after market fitment. 

13 hours ago, Offski said:

One bottle of Night-Before De-icer would do the job for every winter in your area would in not?  £2.99 a year.

12 hours ago, juux said:

Ain't gonna get your interior all nice and toasty though, is it? ;)

neither is a heated windscreen.  :shake:

My KISS for many winters now is a Green House Fan heater and outside waterproof extension cable.

(People worry about insurance, fire etc, but no different from using in motorhomes / caravans in colder / damper weather IME.

Just for when parked up at home or other locations.   Cozy above freezing setting keeps the glass frost free. 

Good practice for when i go over to a EV. 

DSCN3534.JPG.45cb5698af6ed19b5ccc6f23f94bf14e.JPG.42814815a7350f1a66a6b4ffbf28af01.JPG

7 hours ago, Offski said:

Juux,  Location location location,  like how many nights this winter were at 0*c or lower in the south of England?

It doesn't need to be freezing to use it, I find I use it whenever it gets 'a bit parky'. Even used it this month.

We had relatively few freezing mornings this year here and it still got used most mornings through the winter. Would actively spec it in any new car I can get one in, which surprises me as I thought it would be a gimmick for use only a few times a year.

Great value as a factory option, maybe not so much if it's a couple of grand aftermarket!

Edited by juux
type, formatting

Where i live or park we had 7 weeks of 7 days i& nights n a row and nights between November & April with a 0*oC or lower average. 

More where there were not 7 days and night to trigger cold weather payments by weather stations.

Then more after March.

But then that is in the North of the UK where there is no options on pre-heaters etc. 

Great factory options are good where offered and someone wants them.

When you use different vehicles on different days, weeks or seasons sometimes you just go with what you have.

Edited by Offski