Data connection icon (globe) is red

Hi everybody, 

I have a weird situation with my Sportline. So when you are on the navigation screen in the upper bar you have this data connection icon. Usually, I had a white globe with 4G LTE written next to it, in addition to the white car icon (indicating location services). I am using a SIM card for the network connection. All services work fine, both the infotainment online and the care connect.  

However, recently that white globe icon became red, indicating there is no data connection available. This is super strange since my online service work perfectly. I can read the news, find petrol stations, import online destinations, etc etc., however the icon is still red. All services work fine, but i cant get the icon back to white.

I tried removing the sim, resetting the data connection, turning the car on and off, turning the infotainment on and off...nothing helps... even connecting it to wlan (with the sim car removed) shared from my mobile phone... the icon stays red...

thanks for the help!

Seems to be a (relatively) common complaint.

See here, selecting the 'Restore Factory Settings' seems to have 'reset' the system and fixed the same issue for this member...

12 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

Seems to be a (relatively) common complaint.

Happened to me too. I can't remember what fixed it, but some combination of pulling the SIM out and doing the magic button combo to hard-restart it did the trick.

If i do a factory reset, will that reset my registration for skoda connect (will I have to do it again)?

or more precisely, what are the exact things that are going to be reset?

Thanks...

I really want to avoid going to the garage again. I ve already been there since the buttons on the wheel (left) were a bit loose. So they changed the whole part.

i did the factory reset on network wlan and telephone suboptions (since i really dont want to do a full factory reset - dont know how it would affect the care connect and skoda connect registrations)...

That guy in another topic also says he did a factory reset but doesnt say if it was the full one or some specific ones.

• Like 1

I had this exact issue: SIM Card, seemingly perfect network services and a red globe driving me crazy.  I did a full factory reset which worked.  You then have to go into the Skoda Connect Web Portal and delete your car from your Skoda Connect account.  You then re-add the car (copy the VIN number to notepad or similar) to your Skoda Connect account which produces another registration pin to use on the Columbus.  Go back to the car and go to Skoda Connect and enter the new pin.  It gave me an error but when left alone for 20 mins it seemed to reactivate, generate a flurry of emails and all is now well again with the world.  I would suggest all of the above but instead of a full factory reset, just do a factory reset on Skoda Connect.

• 1 year later...

It's a bit after the fact for those above but this has happened to me in my superb 3 a couple of times recently. I removed the sim card and turned off the ignition and left the car long enough for all the electrics to power down. Then next time I was in the car I put the sim card back in after the ignition went on and it seemed to sort the issue out. 

• 1 month later...

I had exactly the same, red globe for a few weeks, system operated as normal. Also the Skoda connect app continually reverted to metric units even after being set to U.K. imperial units.

I used the ‘i’ button next to the spanner and SOS, explained the issue with the red globe and the app. The app issue was already known and was being sorted, however I got a call back from Skoda 2 days later and they asked me some identifying info and low and behold the globe issue is corrected. The white 4G LTE globe is back. I presume that it must have been corrected remotely.

So I can’t explain why it was faulty but can explain how to get it fixed.

• Like 1

I thought that the globe indicated that the system was connected to the Skoda connect servers, I find that whenever the server is off I get the red globe.

John

• 3 years later...

Apologies for resurrecting a zombie thread, but I came across this discussion when I had the same issue of the white globe icon staying red on the Columbus Infotainment system when there was an active data connection and all the Connect services were working fine.

The solution that worked for me was:

Menu, Settings, Skoda Connect (Online Services), Service Mode - I changed the setting to 'Private Mode' (after which I received an email to say my Skoda Connect services had been deactivated).

I then re-ticked 'infotainment online' and 'care connect' and the white globe instantly came back and has been working fine ever since.

I think the solution was to deactivate and then reactivate the Skoda Connect services through the infotainment system.