Looking to replace a CRV

Hi,

we are looking to replace a 2016 CRV, we went to the dealership to cross the Karoq and Kodiak off the list as the oh 'didn't ' like Skodas.. Well we were pleasantly surprised. It  looks like the 2.0 TSI DSG has jumped to the top of the list. We don't do lots of long journeys do petrol was preferably, though we could do diesel at a push though we would have to make special trips to give it a blast through.

Is there anything we need to be mindful of when choosing a model/ extra packs?

We want memory seats, heated screen, xenon/hid lights, that sort of thing..

any advice  is greatly received.

cheers

Rich

45 minutes ago, rykard said:

we went to the dealership to cross the Karoq and Kodiak off the list as the oh 'didn't ' like Skodas

Yeah, that happened to me when I got my vRS. And now I'm onto my Kodiaq...

If you want memory seats, then you're looking at an Edition (or L&K when it comes out) - or spending enough on options that it makes sense to just start there anyway. However, ordering petrol engines seems to be a challenge at the moment (see other threads on here) due to them changing over to the new 1.5/150 + 2.0/190 units.

• Like 1

The Honda is due to go back march next year, but we are looking now so we don't have to make a rush decision, but due to a few niggles it has fallen out of favour.

The value of the Kodiaq surprised us tbh and the reviews we later read and watched all seemed pretty positive.

The Kodiaq has different versions than Karoq, specs vary

Split your list on options into : must haves; indifferent (wouldn't pay extra for); unlikely to use

Try and optimise the spec to get first list cheapest, middle list just take whats fitted as standard but don't pay extra, ignore third list

The biggest problem is going to be availability, some petrol specs are 4-6 months wait.

Storage compounds are awash with diesel distressed stock that is unwanted and unsold, but common sense will explain why.

3 minutes ago, SurreyJohn said:

The Kodiaq has different versions than Karoq, specs vary

Indeed - the Edition spec on both has different stuff. And you can't get the bigger engines on the Karoq.

But I think the first question should always be 5 seats or 7. I know people buy 5 seat Kodiaqs, but I don't see the point when the Karoq isn't actually all that much smaller. If you don't want/need 7 seats then you're possibly better off with the lighter, cheaper Karoq that will always be slightly more economical to run.

Having said that, if you frequent Ikea and have kids, then the flexibility of the 7 seats cannot be beaten, even if you don't use all 7 at the same time very often :D.

Surprised to hear that it's reliability that's forcing someone out of a CR-V, that in itself is unusual.

If you can find a petrol, or stomach the current factory lead-times I'd avoid diesel on low mileage, even modern diesels and their DPF's are much improved, but if the car is a keeper then I'd wait.

Worth noting that the Scout gets electric drivers and passenger seat adjustment too, this is the model I ordered.

For the LED headlights you need SE-L or above.

The heated screen isn't standard on any of the range (will probably be on the L&K when that arrives later this year), which forced me into a factory build, as (at the time) there were no used or demonstrators with it fitted.

3 hours ago, silver1011 said:

Surprised to hear that it's reliability that's forcing someone out of a CR-V, that in itself is unusual.

If you can find a petrol, or stomach the current factory lead-times I'd avoid diesel on low mileage, even modern diesels and their DPF's are much improved, but if the car is a keeper then I'd wait.

Worth noting that the Scout gets electric drivers and passenger seat adjustment too, this is the model I ordered.

For the LED headlights you need SE-L or above.

The heated screen isn't standard on any of the range (will probably be on the L&K when that arrives later this year), which forced me into a factory build, as (at the time) there were no used or demonstrators with it fitted.

it isn't unreliable, its just rattles and creaks, the sat nav doesn't always work properly - this is a known fault that they can't fix? We both liked it when we bought it, but it's just fell out of favour.. our other vehicle is an 05 Discovery 3 and this has more 'personality'.. hence why we are now looking for a replacement..

10 hours ago, rykard said:

Hi,

we are looking to replace a 2016 CRV, we went to the dealership to cross the Karoq and Kodiak off the list as the oh 'didn't ' like Skodas.. Well we were pleasantly surprised. It  looks like the 2.0 TSI DSG has jumped to the top of the list. We don't do lots of long journeys do petrol was preferably, though we could do diesel at a push though we would have to make special trips to give it a blast through.

Is there anything we need to be mindful of when choosing a model/ extra packs?

We want memory seats, heated screen, xenon/hid lights, that sort of thing..

any advice  is greatly received.

cheers

Rich

Elec drivers seat is std on the Edition

heated screen is a £200 option on the karoq, and about £350 on the Kodiaq

You can't get Xenon/HiD headlights...................they are either Halogen on the base model, LED headlights are an option on the SE L and standard on the Edition.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Macdemon said:

LED headlights are an option on the SE L and standard on the Edition.

Hope this helps.

LED headlights are standard on SEL and Edition Kodiaq’s.

Did you check the Kodiaq door handles, they creek too, hoping for a BY19 redisign. No rattles though (knock on wood).

Yeah getting petrol will be a challange if you don't mind waitting for you car a bit longer. The full LED lights are a must-have.

Amundsen vs Columbus choice of navigation -> go for amundsen. It's cheaper and offers the same basic features/size + you have buttons! There are few features columbus has but you have to deicde are they worth the price difference.

• 2 weeks later...

That's always the cheaper way to buy, unless you want a specific engine/gearbox combination, options or colour.

There were a couple of manual 1.4 TSI Scout's around when I was looking, but not in magic black with the heated windscreen and towbar, hence a more expensive factory order for me.

19 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

That's always the cheaper way to buy, unless you want a specific engine/gearbox combination, options or colour.

There were a couple of manual 1.4 TSI Scout's around when I was looking, but not in magic black with the heated windscreen and towbar, hence a more expensive factory order for me.

Had a quick look and there are no 2.0 tsi around, and the 1.4s don't look that much cheaper tbh...

Yep, you've very little choice on the petrol's since production stopped last month, combined with the delays to the restarting of production due to the WLTP laboratory testing requirements...

http://wltpfacts.eu/what-is-wltp-how-will-it-work/

Still a good chunk of diesels around though.

for the type of driving we do diesel won't work for us unfortunately. Most of our journeys are short 10-15 miles so we would always be mindful of needing to give it a run at some point.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2018-06-19 at 19:46, rykard said:

What are the preferred colours? We were thinking business grey  but meteor grey has poked its head in....

Ordered a Kodiaq Syle 190 TDI last month. And after a seen a Karoq in Steel Grey (Meteor grey) at the dealer both me and my wife were sold on the color. Since we didnt choose the sportline version its not colored all the way down. But i think it will be awesome anyway!

Edited by Plask
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Plask said:

Ordered a Kodiaq Syle 190 TDI last month. And after a seen a Karoq in Steel Grey (Meteor grey) at the dealer both me and my wife were sold on the color. Since we didnt choose the sportline version its not colored all the way down. But i think it will be awesome anyway!

It definitely will be awesome :) 

4D8EBAFB-5C06-495C-944A-5B61F2F260D0.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, curious_george said:

It definitely will be awesome :) 

4D8EBAFB-5C06-495C-944A-5B61F2F260D0.jpeg

Man that truly looks awesome, haven't seen it in reality yet cuz they are not common and you can't really tell the end result in the Skoda build your car app! Don't be shy to post more pictures of it :)

49 minutes ago, Plask said:

Man that truly looks awesome, haven't seen it in reality yet cuz they are not common and you can't really tell the end result in the Skoda build your car app! Don't be shy to post more pictures of it :)

There you go :) 

FE20E979-6EA0-4828-A493-40B69F67EE9C.jpeg

09808D40-ADD9-4F60-B67A-FE22F4C922AF.jpeg

73AB94AE-AED6-455C-8B28-61CA48D89142.jpeg

• Like 2