overheating advice

Saw the oil & coolant temps shoot up yesterday on my Mk3 1.4 TDI fabia, does this sound like water pump issues?

Coolant normally sits bang on 90C all the time but was probably up and down to as much as 120C, oil temp normally varies 95-97C occasionally 100C but I saw this at around 117C

As soon as I noticed I backed off and did numerous stops so it didn't ever get as far as any warnings or faults, but the problem eventually cleared and temp levels started to come back down.

Left it with Skoda now, but as the fault seems to have cleared are they likely to say nothing found?  Any thoughts if it's likely to be pump, stat or other?  No leaks or low oil / coolant levels, regular services and various 'skoda updates' done during services, still under warranty.

Thanks

LC

Edited by louigicornetto
  • Like 1

?

Were you made aware at the Skoda Dealership at the Service Desk about the Service Campaign on 1.4TDI Mk3 Fabia.

The Coolant changed.

There is the pinned thread at the top of this section of the forum.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/426322-recall-on-diesel-cooling-issue 

Only a Recall when they Recall them, otherwise Service Campaigns or *Skoda Secret Service Campaigns.....

http://master.skoda-auto.com/mini-apps/recall-actions 

Do not accept the car as repaired until it is repaired, otherwise it is still faulty and not as intended as the manufacturers engineers meant it to be,...

?

When was your car built and first registered, how many miles covered?

Edited by Offski

I had identical issue with my 2015 plate 1.4tdi VW Polo car only had 20k, 1st time dealer could not find any issues, 2nd time when it happened could not restart the car and it had to be recovered back to them by AA. Lucky it was a lease car and I left the lease company to argue the case with the dealer as they were aparently aware of 1.4tdi water pump/coolant issues. Glad the car went back last year, as I have read on UK polos.net that the problem has been re-accruing to some members on that forum. Good luck.

My 1.4 tdi was exacly the some. Took it in to skoda this morning and a recall has been carried out. Complete flush of the cooling system and a programme update. Very common, may need to replace water pump too. The dealer were brilliant. Updating me every 3-4 hours. First class. 

Edited by aep937

On 09/06/2018 at 09:49, louigicornetto said:

Saw the oil & coolant temps shoot up yesterday on my Mk3 1.4 TDI fabia, does this sound like water pump issues?

Coolant normally sits bang on 90C all the time but was probably up and down to as much as 120C, oil temp normally varies 95-97C occasionally 100C but I saw this at around 117C

As soon as I noticed I backed off and did numerous stops so it didn't ever get as far as any warnings or faults, but the problem eventually cleared and temp levels started to come back down.

Left it with Skoda now, but as the fault seems to have cleared are they likely to say nothing found?  Any thoughts if it's likely to be pump, stat or other?  No leaks or low oil / coolant levels, regular services and various 'skoda updates' done during services, still under warranty.

Thanks

LC

If the water temp has gone beyond 90ºC then you have a water pump issue and don't let them palm you off with the 'nothing wrong' speech.. low revving will help stop the water pump temp climbing, but if you don't get it fixed you'll just end up damaging the car..

you can read all about my issues in the pinned thread at the top of the forum as mentioned.. I am on my 3rd water pump.. so you've been warned! 

Just to note, it's only diesel Fabias and Rapids with this issue - although I have known someone with a vRS Octavia having a similar pump issue.

• 9 months later...

Hi all

Skoda Fabia 1,4 TDi  2015  with 19k miles on the clock.

Had this problem few times.

Seems like pump not always working.

In the service they asking £90 for diagnosing problem and if it's pump,then 350 for replacing.

According to what I read here and in other place they might not be able to find problem.

Thinking to ask in other garages on diagnostic and solution.We will see.

Not sure can I post youtube link here.I recorded the overheating moment and at the end how temperature is dropping.I suspect what pump eventually started and brought temperature down.But why it didn't work before?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFucwWR5YKo&feature=youtu.be

Hope youtube video will work.

Welcome.

Read the pinned thread at the top of this section. Have you read up there?

So a known issue, the car should probably have been in for a coolant change.

Pay nothing, have Main dealers only look at it, and ones with all the gear and employees with something between their ears.

see what Skoda are saying.   

There is a TPI (techinical product information)   eg crap pumps, crap information to owners, crap dealerships.)

Skoda can pay for a water pump, a new engine, a replacement car if the fault is not found, not repairable.

But the faults are repairable, and not after you pay £95, after Skoda / VW pay.

Edited by Skoffski