Scout traction control switch light

Hi all,

i thought I'd turn the traction control off for a while to see if the MPG improved.

I couldn't really give it a good test because I immediately got stuck in roadworks!

When I first pressed the button it lit up but I noticed that it went out after a while and any amount pressing the traction control button on & off didn't light the button up again but the maxidot indicated when I turned it off/on so it presumably is working.

Is this normal or do you think that the bulb has blown?

Cheers,

John

Mine stayed lit.

When I was running on my spare the tyre pressure warning came up and I could feel the car braking every now and then. I presume circumference was different (maybe was a bit soft). Anyway I turned off the ESR and the switch light came on and stayed on.

I think you may have a loose connection or duff bulb in the switch. 

(I'm a 64 plate but the 15 build so I'd expect functionality to be the same)

I'm interested in your findings about fuel economy. I spend my days in eco mode and drop into sport when I feel I need to 'go'. I think the coasting in neutral can only help. With winding roads around here you have to be patient and the car is so comfortable it really helps me do that. But then.....

Many thanks Hermit

I've just started the car in the drive and turned off the engine on/off mode (which I always do) & the button lit up as usual.

I pressed the traction control button and, although both the maxidot screen and the infotainment screen acknowledged it the button remained unlit.

So it appears that there is a either a dodgy connection or the bulb has blown.

As it is still under warranty maybe the dealer will sort it out FOC!

Not critcal but just annoying!

(BTW is it an easy job to replace the bulb myself?)

Cheers,

John

Good question John. It probably is quite straightforward but I haven't a clue. I'm always scared of snapping bits off but it seems if you can just pull up panels in the right places they pop off. It might need the shift gaiter pulling off to get to screws underneath but I'm guessing. There have been posts about mods to the centre console which included getting it off. 

A great source of info is "Sashas Octavia vRS" - she is always swapping bits around. Maybe someone else will pipe up with how to do it.

Of course if its a warranty issue then its not for you to fuss over.

The various parts of the ESR system typically maintain control and balance by braking individual wheels as well as the haldex clutch (in scout and 4x4) distributing power. Any braking will be lost energy hence decreased MPG. I don't suppose it would be a measurable amount unless you're doing some off-road rally driving.

I think the ESR light should flash on the dashboard every time its taking some action. From my long experience  with my Mk2 4x4 that is very rare thing - even when driving on the snow. So unless that light is flashing a lot then there won't be much braking or loss of MPG.

But what do I know - always looking to learn something new.

Re the MPG I've only ever had rear wheel or front wheel drive cars before the Scout and it was always said that 4x4 cars were much juicier. 

This was only an experiment to see if there was any perceivable difference either way. 

As Hermit says under normal driving conditions the traction system wouldn't kick in very often so probably not much difference in MPG.

Cheers,

John

19 minutes ago, Hermit said:

The various parts of the ESR system typically maintain control and balance by braking individual wheels as well as the haldex clutch (in scout and 4x4) distributing power. Any braking will be lost energy hence decreased MPG. I don't suppose it would be a measurable amount unless you're doing some off-road rally driving.

I don't really understand where you are coming from. If you are activating the stability control or ABS you are driving aggressively in order to do so. Under normal driving the systems won't do anything at all so turning it off won't make any difference to mpg at all.

Edited by SuperbTWM
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Johnfella said:

Hi all,

i thought I'd turn the traction control off for a while to see if the MPG improved.

I couldn't really give it a good test because I immediately got stuck in roadworks!

When I first pressed the button it lit up but I noticed that it went out after a while and any amount pressing the traction control button on & off didn't light the button up again but the maxidot indicated when I turned it off/on so it presumably is working.

Is this normal or do you think that the bulb has blown?

Cheers,

John

Driving in this morning I looked at mine.  With the traction on the button is not lit in anyway (unless lights are on in which case its green as with other switch gear).  If i turn traction off, I get a light on the dash and it shown on my Columbus under the car menu but again, the actual button is not lit in anyway.  Mines a 65 plate Scout.

Yep, me too - I've been out this morning and tried this. The switch doesn't illuminate but you get the sign on the dash. I had thought the switch was lit too but it seems not. As the other switches illuminate its a bit odd.

So there is nothing amiss with your Scout John.

Thanks people. I'm glad that all is well but I could have swarn that the button lit up in orange when I first pressed it. I must be going (even more) senile!

Cheers,

John

• 1 month later...

A bit late I know, but in order to make the ESP kick in and start braking individual wheels you have to be driving in a somewhat enthusiastic fashion.  I got it to noticeably kick in once when I got to a corner which was tighter than it first appeared and a lorry was coming the other way.