New tyres - really quiet now!

16 hours ago, alf.onso said:

Could you explain? I haven't seen variable boot floor for some time so I might be mistaken but when I look at the pictures, then in case of variable boot floor both floors (boot and the false floor) are flat. It means that real boot floor is exactly the same as any Superb without variable boot floor. 

Ordering you can’t have a full size steel only a space saver with the variable boot floor.

So I am assuming that a 205 wheel/tyre would push the carpet up into the space under the variable floor.

26 minutes ago, cheezemonkhai said:

Ordering you can’t have a full size steel only a space saver with the variable boot floor.

So I am assuming that a 205 wheel/tyre would push the carpet up into the space under the variable floor.

That is most odd as it would mean the variable boot floor version of Superb would have different body panels or some extra stuff in spare wheel well. That is rather unlikely. 

@cheezemonkhai do I remember correctly that you are still ordering your new Superb? If there was anyone with variable boot floor to help, I could measure my spare wheel well height and we could see if it is different from variable boot. 

2 hours ago, RCW89 said:

Good morning Pentaxian, I am unaware of which S3 u have can I ask is it the 220 that you have? 

yes 2.0L 220TSI

• Like 1

I travel 10 miles to and from work on Lincolnshire "B" roads and then into a town and average 36mpg - essentially get around 550 miles to a tank without much effort and without driving like a saint.  Other journeys it heads well over 40mpg with no problems.

Have no complaints at all for fuel economy.

2 hours ago, pentaxian said:

I travel 10 miles to and from work on Lincolnshire "B" roads and then into a town and average 36mpg - essentially get around 550 miles to a tank without much effort and without driving like a saint.  Other journeys it heads well over 40mpg with no problems.

Have no complaints at all for fuel economy.

No worries, thanks for that. So far in town I'm only getting about 27mpg with BP 95 (I am going to start  using Tesco momentum from tomorrow though as I generally find that she'll and BP are not that great anyway and I was actually getting beat fuel economy etc on my previous car with tesco fuel. I was getting 46mog on a long run on the motorway the other evening before my tyre blew out left in cruise control at 75mph.

Do you know if smaller tyres would help or it doesn't make a difference? 

I want to get 18s anyway as tyres for the 19s 245/40/R19 W are hard to come by for some reason but 18s are easier to get according to 10 of my nearest tyre shops.

Edited by RCW89

My experience matches Pentaxian; similar journeys, driving styles and results. On longer journeys with a high percentage of motorway/dual carriageway I have achieved as high as 47 (on the maxidot measure). Mind you that was in 'Grandad' mode as my grandsons describe it :biggrin:

On 28/06/2018 at 07:16, alf.onso said:

That is most odd as it would mean the variable boot floor version of Superb would have different body panels or some extra stuff in spare wheel well. That is rather unlikely. 

@cheezemonkhai do I remember correctly that you are still ordering your new Superb? If there was anyone with variable boot floor to help, I could measure my spare wheel well height and we could see if it is different from variable boot. 

I have a full size 18” Pegasus as my spare. It sits a couple of cm above the wheel well so the carpet covering it is slightly raised. But since it is under the variable boot floor, it doesn’t matter to me. 

It was, however, a very tight fit initially, interfering with the plastic trim along the back edge of the estate boot. It has a V notch in the middle, right at the point where the tyre touches, so I slightly enlarged the notch using a Dremel. Then it was much easier to get the wheel on and out.

Edited by Ivan8192
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Sagalout said:

My experience matches Pentaxian; similar journeys, driving styles and results. On longer journeys with a high percentage of motorway/dual carriageway I have achieved as high as 47 (on the maxidot measure). Mind you that was in 'Grandad' mode as my grandsons describe it :biggrin:

Hmm today has been the worst yet I've been driving around 15 miles most around 20mph and I'm averaging 18.7mpg I mean when I left work at 1855 I had 220 miles remaining. Computer shows I have travelled 15 miles but yet my remaining range is 170!!!!! This is Tesco momentum 99 fuel aswell. I ahve no out my foot down either been driving like a grandad!! So far really not impressed especially when I'm reading of others getting 30+ mpg around town driving even when not driving like a grandad.

Edited by RCW89

12 hours ago, Ivan8192 said:

I have a full size 18” Pegasus as my spare. It sits a couple of cm above the wheel well so the carpet covering it is slightly raised. But since it is under the variable boot floor, it doesn’t matter to me. 

It was, however, a very tight fit initially, interfering with the plastic trim along the back edge of the estate boot. It has a V notch in the middle, right at the point where the tyre touches, so I slightly enlarged the notch using a Dremel. Then it was much easier to get the wheel on and out.

Then it means the original Skoda "full size" (205/55 R16 or whaterver it was) should fit just perfectly under the variable boot floor without raising floor carpet. 

Probably it's somehow simpler for Skoda not to offer "full size" spare wheel with variable boot floor then. The same as they only offer rear view camera with rear window wiper. 

20 hours ago, RCW89 said:

Hmm today has been the worst yet I've been driving around 15 miles most around 20mph and I'm averaging 18.7mpg I mean when I left work at 1855 I had 220 miles remaining. Computer shows I have travelled 15 miles but yet my remaining range is 170!!!!! This is Tesco momentum 99 fuel aswell. I ahve no out my foot down either been driving like a grandad!! So far really not impressed especially when I'm reading of others getting 30+ mpg around town driving even when not driving like a grandad.

Whats your current mileage on the car, mine changed dramatically at around 2500 miles.  To begin with it was not great and all I seemed to be doing was putting fuel in the car.

29 minutes ago, pentaxian said:

Whats your current mileage on the car, mine changed dramatically at around 2500 miles.  To begin with it was not great and all I seemed to be doing was putting fuel in the car.

13580. I got it used as couldn't afford a l&k model which ATM all I can find were about 7k more expensive for similar age and mileage. But my plan is to upgrade this to the new model l&k when that comes anyway.

On 29/06/2018 at 20:19, Ivan8192 said:

Didn't want to "adjust" the car.  

See: