ECU Location

Hoping someone can advise where, and how to get to the ECU on my Superb..?

I believe it is under the windscreen scuttle but haven't gone digging for the moment.

In my research ahead of emissions roll back the fix file on my car is 9978, which I am informed may be an issue as there was no prior update from the factory build software...still not 100% sure.

I know that all files before 9976 are pre-fix and what you should aim to have.

Anyway, if I can get a look at the ECU, it will have the original hardware and software file details on the label which will go a long way to getting the correct roll back file.

Thanks

20180628_204431_resized.jpg

Hi

Pull that rubber trim off that runs along the front edge of the plastic scuttle and if you lift the edge of the plastic you'll see it just to the right of center where the two trims join (flat plastic in the middle of pic without the holes) there is then a silver metal box with the ecu in it with a wide plastic clip along the front edge that you pull towards you and down to release

Ps easier to get to if you remove the wiper arm and trim, but you wont need to just to read the label on top

Edit - you can just see the edge of it in the extreme left of this picture 

Edited by a666andy
  • Thanks 1

That's great, thanks for that.  Looks a bit of an awkward job to get into.  I will investigate when I have a bit of time without distractions.

I imagine the dealer would have all the details based on your VIN number but I doubt they will be willing to give it out knowing that the likely reason is for a rollback...!

4 hours ago, a666andy said:

It's really not that bad at all to be honest, I'd say 5 mins tops to get to it

Will give it a go soon.  Do I have to remove the two round clips ?

4 hours ago, langers2k said:

Have you got a VCDS autoscan? What does that say your ECU is?

Not got VCDS as yet, something I will look into.  Have VAG DPF which gives the current details but not the original file info.

Thanks

If you mean the round star clips in your picture (pushed on to the end of the screws / bolts) then no, not at all. Just the rubber seal along the top front edge, it should come off quite easily

• Thanks 1

Finding the ECU was much easier than I thought, I managed to get a pic of the label, its a terrible angle as it is buried under the windscreen so much of it is unreadable.... but its below.  There was no outer casing, just straight onto the label as you can see...

Would the 5386 code under CFFB be the original software file ? 

Thanks

ECU Pic.JPG

Edited by TasMan

Yup, looks to be 03L 906 018 SA which probably shipped with 5386.

I'd agree with your original post that the only flash file from Skoda/VAG is 9978. The only obvious way to revert the fix is to find someone who backed up a matching ECU before the fix was applied.

Might be worth contacting Shark or similar :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, langers2k said:

Yup, looks to be 03L 906 018 SA which probably shipped with 5386.

I'd agree with your original post that the only flash file from Skoda/VAG is 9978. The only obvious way to revert the fix is to find someone who backed up a matching ECU before the fix was applied.

Might be worth contacting Shark or similar :)

Thanks for that....and you have got the SW code spot on :).....also confirmed against a VAG DPF screenshot.  Getting somewhere now, but the tricky bit will be finding someone who has a 5386 backup.  Shark were suggested over on the FB EA189 emissions forum so will pursue that route.   Luckily I have a fairly local Shark franchise nearby that could possibly do the necessary.....

I still can't quite get my head round why some folk can easily have the rollback, but I have an issue.  There must be 1000s of cars where the fix was applied over the original shipped software, and no backup was taken.  Its probably my train of thought not clicking onto what is being described...!

There are lots of different hardware and software versions on EA189 engines, some of which needed updating prior to the fix. If the ECU needed a previous update then that flash file can be used to remove the fix...

In your case, the 03L 906 018 SA ECU seems to have shipped with 5386 and was updated once to 9978 so there are no other files.

I have a 03L 906 018 C ECU which VAG released 7100, 9813, 9978, 9979, 9980 and 9981 for. Apart from suggesting they've had some issues with the fix (4 different releases), it means it's trivially possible to downgrade to either 7100 or 9813 as the files already exist. Strangely, 7100 appears to be the original version so I'm not sure why that was released.

VAG wont take a backup of the software when the update it. However, any decent tuning company should be taking backups of any ECU in case of failure. Assuming anyone with a unfixed ECU matching yours have been through, I'd hope they'd have a copy of the original firmware :)

• Like 2

There is an update file for 03L 906 018 RT to 5385. This is a very similar ECU to yours as it runs on the same hardware (03L 906 018 MH) but is for an 2WD DSG rather than a 4WD manual Superb.

I've no idea if it's possible to modify it to support a manual car but I thought I'd mention it...

• Thanks 1

Thanks for that very useful information, I now fully appreciate the issue. Just typical I have one that's now as straightforward to sort! I will get in touch with Shark to begin with to see what they can offer, I am hopeful a copy exists with a tuner that I can access. Appreciate the note on 5385, will bear that in mind for discussion with a tuner if it gets to that stage.  Will update this post when I have any further news. Cheers.