Front Number Plate

RichardPB

I've just replaced the front number plate on my Karoq as some numpty hadn't put the original one on in the centre of the bumper. It was a good 2 to 3 inches to the left.

When I took the old one off they hadn't even used the drill holes pre marked on the bumper but instead decided to drill a couple of random holes.

Luckily when I installed the replacement using the correct holes, the plate covers the old ones.

I thought I may have been unlucky and it was just the dealer who I had bought it from that couldn't be bothered to put it on properly, but if you look at some of the current Karoq's that are for sale there are a good few where the number plates are off centre.

It's not difficult to get it right if you understand the technical principals of using a tape measure, but so many dealers seem to struggle with the concept.

I hope you are going to let the Dealer Principal know so that their employee can get some re-training if they ever were trained and the workshop manager / supervisor can get a rollicking. Maybe retraining as well if they were ever trained in the first place.

I would have expected the drill spacing to be the same on all Skoda's and for the dealers to have a template to drill the number plate. Very basic engineering principal.

14 hours ago, RichardPB said:

I've just replaced the front number plate on my Karoq as some numpty hadn't put the original one on in the centre of the bumper. It was a good 2 to 3 inches to the left.

It's not difficult to get it right if you understand the technical principals of using a tape measure, but so many dealers seem to struggle with the concept.

Add a spirit level to the template and tape measure. I don't know who dealers get to do this job, the number you see that are ****-eyed. OCD should be part of the job requirement for number plate fixers.

It might just be me, but it just gives me the impression they're a shoddy dealer, who couldn't care less. I replaced my no plates on my Octy for a private reg, the dealer not only made the reg plates up but also gave me the sticky pads to put them on. A bit of measuring and a spirit level made the job perfect. 

Edited by Keithjock

5 hours ago, Keithjock said:

It might just be me, but it just gives me the impression they're a shoddy dealer, who couldn't care less. 

No, its not just you. Who could deduce anything different.

Simply poor workmanship, from a supposedly fully trained Skoda "technician"

It's not just Skoda.

On the way home from work I spotted quite a few number plates not in the centre of the front bumper of a number of well know franchise dealers.

I can only think it must be a required skill. 

Mine was not registered at the dealers as i could not pick the reg it was registered 2 days before the dealer got it but with the dealers reg mark so i don't think the dealer put the number plate on but it is centered

Edited by skoda1982

Think yourself lucky it was the plastic front bumper.

Simpsons Skoda in Preston (many years ago when they were under a different name) couldn't be bothered to use the factory's pre-drilled holes for the rear number plate.

Oh no, a couple of self tappers straight through the bodywork will do it. Not happy with the first botch, they did it twice! :dull:

IMG_1648.thumb.JPG.fb9befb41c447905a533dc0de2e650a6.JPG

IMG_1651.thumb.JPG.bc85b919212e0d3ba8997bceb370764f.JPG

Edited by silver1011
  • Confused 1

If I was fitting number plates day in day out I would make up a template with the holes to suit the pre drilled centres. Overlay the template on the number plate and drill the holes.  

• Like 2

Is it a Skoda thing? When I picked up my ex demo yeti  (3 months old) with my plates on ,it’s front number plate wasn’t quite right so I removed it only to find 6 holes in the front bumper,being plastic not a major worry so filled with silicon ,luckily the rear plate was fitted ok in the metal boot but it does make you wonder when you see all the new cars in a garage where the hairy assed mechanic with the drill in their hand waiting to pounce on all the new cars.

On 06/07/2018 at 22:29, moley said:

If I was fitting number plates day in day out I would make up a template with the holes to suit the pre drilled centres. Overlay the template on the number plate and drill the holes.  

Far too sensible. 

There's fun to be had with people like me who are OCD on level and symmetry.

Not a Skoda thing. I had brand new Fabia and brand new Yaris, so it has to be the first plates for both. Both vehicles they drilled the plates, then the holes that really did not need drilling! (Fronts, at least). I think Skoda got the rears correct as they have pre-fitted plugs and a history of corrosion! 

Over the years of pre-loved (And pre-hated) motors, I cannot remember a single one where I have removed a plate and NOT discovered multi-holes where the plates have been fitted and re-fitted. Some may be by previous owners but my guess is some came like that from the factory, too!

I do get that the manufacturer supplies vehicles for many markets and that our plates are huge, compered to some but still, if you are going to do it, do it right or use sticky pads and plenty of them!

Edited by mrgf

A few points to add on this one. Firstly we should be using mm and not inches. Secondly the dealers are trying to sort out a **** up caused by Skoda as the pitch between the factory fitted mounts is not great enough. If these are used you will have a gap behind each end of the number plate and the car body as the bodywork is convex. I solved this by using a strip of glazing tape behind the ends of the plate. What ****ed me off on my Yeti is when the dealer drilled the plates the plastic delaminated. I got another set off them and did the job correctly using a lip and spur drill bit.

Colin

'We' went Metric and kept MPH and buy fuel in litres.

Plenty still can judge inches and fractions of an inch and do not see stuff in mm or cm or even a metre other than a yard and some. 

No excuse for someone not knowing if something is a ba's hair off, and measure 3 times and only drill if you need too.

ARNOLD CLARK only employed fitters that could fit squint registration plates.

Edited by Offski

It makes no differ whether the centres are measured in mm or inches as long as the holes are in the right place.