Tyre wear

Looking for some advice please. I'm looking at a 190 SE L Executive, manual Feb 2017, 24500 miles, my one reservation on the car is that it has 3 budget tyres on it. The spare shows that it's been used so guessing one budget could be down to tyre damge, it has a pair of Lassa?? Tyres on the front. The whole point of my essay is this... is it reasonable to expect a 190 with 24500 miles on it to have worn the fronts out already, advise greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

33 minutes ago, Blackray said:

Looking for some advice please. I'm looking at a 190 SE L Executive, manual Feb 2017, 24500 miles, my one reservation on the car is that it has 3 budget tyres on it. The spare shows that it's been used so guessing one budget could be down to tyre damge, it has a pair of Lassa?? Tyres on the front. The whole point of my essay is this... is it reasonable to expect a 190 with 24500 miles on it to have worn the fronts out already, advise greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

I would be very disappointed if the original fronts lasted that sort of mileage, they could if they were rotated front to back but if kept on the front you would be driving like a vicars grandad to do that many miles.

Has for fitting budget tyres to a nearly new expensive motor, what were they thinking about. If its the dealer they are cheapskates and you should insist on 4 new branded tyres. If it was the previous owner, if they used cheap tyres what else did they do on the cheap, best run away.

The spare may be either a space saver (obvious that one) or what Skoda call a "temporary spare". Its a proper tyre on a proper (steel) wheel (205 55 16 in ours) but its not the same size as the other 4 (215 55 17 on ours). Its way better than a space saver but your speed is still restriced to 50 mph. Its not something you can keep of the car for weeks on end, its smaller, the car would be at an angle.

I have 40K miles on mine, split with winter tyres so lets say around 20K on the Pirellis which are about half worn... I certainly do not like a ‘vicars grandad’ but I also do a fair bit of dual carriageway / motorway driving.

I personally wouldn’t buy a car with 3 budget tyres on it, however when we sold the TT to WBAC the front tyres were on the limit that WBAC accept, they didn’t care what was fitted, so it was either fork out £150 per tyre for matching tyres or buy a pair of budgets for the same price, no prizes for guessing what I did, WBAC wanted to knock off £200 per tyre if they bought the car on the old tyres.

24 minutes ago, skidpan said:

I would be very disappointed if the original fronts lasted that sort of mileage, they could if they were rotated front to back but if kept on the front you would be driving like a vicars grandad to do that many miles.

Has for fitting budget tyres to a nearly new expensive motor, what were they thinking about. If its the dealer they are cheapskates and you should insist on 4 new branded tyres. If it was the previous owner, if they used cheap tyres what else did they do on the cheap, best run away.

My thoughts too about what else has been done on the cheap. Also discovered it's been owned by a leasing company, think we've decided to give it a wide berth despite an attractive price. Thanks for your help. 

9 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

I have 40K miles on mine, split with winter tyres so lets say around 20K on the Pirellis which are about half worn... I certainly do not like a ‘vicars grandad’ but I also do a fair bit of dual carriageway / motorway driving.

I personally wouldn’t buy a car with 3 budget tyres on it, however when we sold the TT to WBAC the front tyres were on the limit that WBAC accept, they didn’t care what was fitted, so it was either fork out £150 per tyre for matching tyres or buy a pair of budgets for the same price, no prizes for guessing what I did, WBAC wanted to knock off £200 per tyre if they bought the car on the old tyres.

We've decided to avoid it, thanks for your help. 

I'd love the 190 l & k, is it worth the premijm over the se L?

Edited by Blackray

2 hours ago, Blackray said:

We've decided to avoid it, thanks for your help. 

I'd love the 190 l & k, is it worth the premijm over the se L?

Depends on the deal. Both are lovely cars, but it's difficult to do a like-for-like comparison. What options are included with the SEL? I'm assuming from the first post that you are looking at used models?

4 hours ago, Blackray said:

I replaced the factory Conti Sports with a set of Lassas and they are one of the best tyres I've put on any car.  Lassa is part of the Bridgestone group.  I wouldn't consider them a budget tyre at all and even price-wise, they are not the cheapest (but much less than premiums).  Wear rate is phenomenal and very comfortable and handle well in all conditions.  Many of the main tyre manufacturers have other divisions/companies that just use some of the older technology from the main brand.

Regarding tyre wear, I struggled to get 35k kms (22k miles) out of the last full set (rotating them mid-way) and I'm a careful enough driver doing a lot of motorway driving.

On 01/07/2018 at 17:38, BriskodaJeff said:

Depends on the deal. Both are lovely cars, but it's difficult to do a like-for-like comparison. What options are included with the SEL? I'm assuming from the first post that you are looking at used models?

The SE L only has 1 electric memory seat, no heated winddcreen, steering wheel, heated front seats only. Three driving modes as opposed to 4 on the L & K. Different alloys. Se l has no vented seats, among other things.

Regarding the tyres, when a car goes back, you put whatever you need to be over 2mm.

If lassa we’re in stock and cheap so be it.

Usually lease cars are well serviced by the leasing company.

Also, 30k isn’t bad for a front set of tyres.

Finally, at least in the octy a 204/55/r16 has the same rolling radius as a normal tyre, just a smaller wheel, with a larger (sidewalk height) tyre.

So no the car won’t be leaning.

Also have a look at new, because the deals I saw a brand new L&k was about the same money as a 14 month old one including the finance incentives.

Edited by cheezemonkhai

12 hours ago, Blackray said:

The SE L only has 1 electric memory seat, no heated winddcreen, steering wheel, heated front seats only. Three driving modes as opposed to 4 on the L & K. Different alloys. Se l has no vented seats, among other things.

As you might expect, I'm biased towards the L&K. I can't speak highly enough about mine, but whether it is worth the premium over the SEL is purely personal. The advantage of the L&K is that you know in advance that any one you choose will have all of the toys without wading through the spec sheet, making it easier to compare cars and prices. The disadvantage is that those prices will be higher than the SEL. Conversely, comparing second hand SELs is trickier as they are likely to all have different specs. But they are cheaper. 

The other thing you will need to think about with a 190 is 2WD v 4WD, especially if you do a lot of miles. My experience is that the 190 2WD delivers 5mpg less than the 150 and I am led to believe the 190 4WD delivers 5mpg less than the 2WD. Mine is 2WD and I've never felt the need for 4WD, but the 4WD drivers on here swear by them so again purely personal choice. And having switched from manual to DSG I'd never go back, but that's a whole different discussion!

Good luck with the search and enjoy whichever car you end up with :).

• Like 1

Hi

My car (Superb 2.0 SE technology) is 6 months old with 19k on had the fronts changed 500 miles ago. Unfortunately my car is a lease car and they choose what they want on. however, I now have a set of Hankooks on the front and the difference in noise is remarkable. Not had chance to try them in the wet.