Tinted windows

34 minutes ago, uchuff said:

Fine, similar to tints really. Will take a couple of pics.

We don't have the rear window pieces fitted in the Octy, however as the rear is a two piece there's a bit of a strip down the middle that might annoy some.  It didn't annoy me when we had the rears fitted in the Astra, what did was the sticky pads coming unstuck in hot sun - thankfully the Octy is all clips.

I've got these, on the whole they're really good, but the clips on the rear ones keep popping out, which is really annoying. The 5mm that the clip goes into the bodywork doesn't seem to be enough to hold in the blinds, as you have to manipulat the rear ones a little more than any of the others.

2 hours ago, BriBri said:

These look good - whats the view like from inside the car when these are "deployed" ?

Rear door and quarter panel fitted. Not fitted to back window. Factory "sunset glass":

IMG_1984.thumb.jpg.ca63b01a4f56630262d52cbf5dbd1007.jpg

Edited by uchuff
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, j1mg said:

I've got these, on the whole they're really good, but the clips on the rear ones keep popping out, which is really annoying. The 5mm that the clip goes into the bodywork doesn't seem to be enough to hold in the blinds, as you have to manipulat the rear ones a little more than any of the others.

That sounds like a pain. Still might give the back window ones a go, didn't fit them in the first instance as we already have the factory tints and they were bought mainly to keep a bit of extra sun off the kids / block the sun with the windows open. 

With the Astra I had issues with the back window as the clips were held on with sticky pads, I emailed the company (different URL to the new ones but look like more or less the same gear) to complain and they sent me a jiffy bag with a load of extra clips free, still fell off eventually though. 

Edited by uchuff

19 hours ago, uchuff said:

Rear door and quarter panel fitted. Not fitted to back window. Factory "sunset glass":

IMG_1984.thumb.jpg.ca63b01a4f56630262d52cbf5dbd1007.jpg

what do they look like from the oustide compared to the standard factory tints?

I've got an SE L on the way and the factory standard does look a very light tint - the current Mrs Cakemonster is a triathlete so we do a fair bit of camping with bikes etc in the boot

ta

51 minutes ago, Cakemonster said:

what do they look like from the oustide compared to the standard factory tints?

I've got an SE L on the way and the factory standard does look a very light tint - the current Mrs Cakemonster is a triathlete so we do a fair bit of camping with bikes etc in the boot

ta

I tried to take a photo showing that when I took the above but all I could get were reflections in the window, will have another go.

Darker for sure, but still not limo-tint dark up close.

Edited by uchuff
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, uchuff said:

I tried to take a photo showing that when I took the above but all I could get were reflections in the window, will have another go.

Darker for sure, but still not limo-tint dark up close.

cheers

• 1 month later...

Hi, some of you will know that I started this thread a few weeks ago.  Well, I've now renewed my insurance through a different company, Hastings Direct, and they'll include tinted windows in the policy.  And it's £200 cheaper than the renewal from my present insurer so that'll pay for window tints :)  I've had a quote of £162 from Global Tint from the b pillars back.  Seems ok to me.  Has anyone else used Global Tint and what was your thoughts on them ? 

On 18/07/2018 at 16:05, silverden said:

Yes, looks really good.  You're just trying to make me jealous because I'm not allowed to have mine done  :envy: :envy:  Out of interest, did you inform your insurance company about the "modification" or does your policy already allow that ?  I've been back onto mine trying pressure them into allowing me to have tinted windows but they won't budge.  My insurance is due for renewal in September so I'll try and move to another company that will allow it.

Yes.. Hastings Direct.. they are happy with rear tints .. no loading