Where has my brake pad gone?

I get always get my car serviced at a Skoda main dealer in the hope that everything will be thoroughly checked. Just a week ago my near side rear brakes started grinding a bit and I thought that it might just be a bit of grit between the pad(s) and disc and that it would drop out as usually happens. The grinding got worse this week so I took off the wheel and there is no outer pad left whatsoever and there's the start of a bit of cutting into the disc - not too bad yet when I run my finger over it, but it can be seen (and heard). Is it possible that it has just come away altogether? or maybe the inner part of the caliper has seized and the outer pad worn away quicker? The technicians report when I had the car serviced in December last year 2017 said that the outer pads were only 20% worn. Obviously, I need this sorted very soon, but I doubt that Skoda  or the dealership will take any responsibility, or guarantee the parts. When I last had pads replaced it was an expensive exercise, so, as the car is 10 yrs old and due to be replaced this year, will it be a cheaper option to go to somewhere like Quick Fit?  Oddly enough, the car electronics gave me no warning of wear.

Edited by BorderCollie

Kwik fit will not be cheaper. You would be better off getting discs and pads from euro car parts and have a reputable garage or decent mechanic fit them.

5 hours ago, gav_is_con said:

Also check for signs of a sticky caliper as the likely cause of your issues. 

I've had to take it to the main dealer as it's just across the road & the only way of getting it done quickly enough. They say that caliper is seized. I still cannot work out how that can happen with regular maintenance at the main dealership. Also don't know why brake wear indicator didn't indicate wear. Is it absolutely necessary to change pads on the off side as well - the garage insist it is, they are hardly worn and not a problem.

Edited by BorderCollie

22 minutes ago, BorderCollie said:

I've had to take it to the main dealer as it's just across the road & the only way of getting it done quickly enough. They say that caliper is seized. I still cannot work out how that can happen with regular maintenance at the main dealership. Also don't know why brake wear indicator didn't indicate wear. Is it absolutely necessary to change pads on the off side as well - the garage insist it is, they are hardly worn and not a problem.

I don't think any routine service would spot this happening. Unless the brakes were binding when the wheels spun or they spotted increased wear on one side. It's all visual checks. 

You need to change pads on the complete axle both sides front or back. Pad wear indicators are usually only fitted to one side of the car. 

26 minutes ago, gav_is_con said:

I don't think any routine service would spot this happening. Unless the brakes were binding when the wheels spun or they spotted increased wear on one side. It's all visual checks. 

You need to change pads on the complete axle both sides front or back. Pad wear indicators are usually only fitted to one side of the car. 

Thanks for the info. I'm not so displeased with the garage now.

Genuine VAG parts have a 2 year/mileage warranty as far as I'm aware.

You could say the friction material delaminated from the backing plate due to a manufacturing flaw.

Then again how old are the pads and is the caliper actually seized or are they just saying so.  Most garages these days don't bother refurbishing calipers with new seals etc as it's cheaper/quicker just to junk them for a new item, and so the profits and excess manufacturing and recycling goes on...

As far as brake pad wear indication goes, only the front pads have this.

Calipers can appear to be seized and bind through no fault of their own, the cause being an incorrectly adjusted handbrake or rusty actuator cable.

Edited by MicMac

1 hour ago, MicMac said:

Genuine VAG parts have a 2 year/mileage warranty as far as I'm aware.

You could say the friction material delaminated from the backing plate due to a manufacturing flaw.

Then again how old are the pads and is the caliper actually seized or are they just saying so.  Most garages these days don't bother refurbishing calipers with new seals etc as it's cheaper/quicker just to junk them for a new item, and so the profits and excess manufacturing and recycling goes on...

As far as brake pad wear indication goes, only the front pads have this.

Calipers can appear to be seized and bind through no fault of their own, the cause being an incorrectly adjusted handbrake or rusty actuator cable.

The rear discs and pads were replaced in 2015 at 78,500 miles (these were the original pads), and at 99,300 miles the outer rear pads were observed to be 20% worn. The car has now 104,000 miles on it. It strikes me as odd that the outer pad only has gone and the inner one looks to have lots of thickness to it. When I say gone, I mean there's only the backing plate remaining. Surely, if the caliper had seized, then both pads would be affected. Another thing that makes me wonder at whether or not the caliper has seized is that the brake only grinds when I apply pressure to the pedal, yet once I stop braking, the noise stops, as though the caliper is releasing the pressure as it should. 

Regarding your comment about refurbishing. In the past when I was younger, I used to dismantle the calipers and replace the seas and apply grease where necessary. It is far too easy for garages to just renew parts, but then maybe the labour costs for refurbishing them are greater.

13 minutes ago, BorderCollie said:

Surely, if the caliper had seized, then both pads would be affected.

Not with single piston calipers /  and caliper sliders. If the caliper slider has siezed then the piston side pad will wear more.

Edited by bigjohn

Sounds like the caliper carrier(s) were in need of a clean and lube to allow more even pad wear.

The heat from a binding pad will cause the  friction material to overheat and come away from the backing plate, not in one go but with repeated overheat cycles. Corrosion build up in the cracks will accelerate the disintegration.

You can get a genuine refurbed caliper or new Chinesium item delivered to your door for £40 ready to bolt on, the labour costs at a garage are...

You do the math!

12 hours ago, BorderCollie said:

They say that caliper is seized. I still cannot work out how that can happen with regular maintenance at the main dealership. 

It's one of those things.  The rear caliper in my Fabia started to seize - it'd return fine with the handbrake cable off, but as soon as you attached the handbrake cable, it would nearly but not quite clear the disc.  The cause was one the internal springs going tired.  

In terms of spotting it, the rear wheel radiated heat after being driven, and there was a lot more brake dust on it, but it can come on fairly quickly.

12 hours ago, BorderCollie said:

Is it absolutely necessary to change pads on the off side as well - the garage insist it is, they are hardly worn and not a problem.

It's generally advised, but it's a common sense judgement call.  When I replaced my caliper, I also replaced the pads on that side - I didn't do the pads on the other side (as they had very minimal wear), nor the other caliper.  It was MOT'd within a month, and the brake balance was literally perfect.

5 minutes ago, BorderCollie said:

Regarding your comment about refurbishing. In the past when I was younger, I used to dismantle the calipers and replace the seas and apply grease where necessary. It is far too easy for garages to just renew parts, but then maybe the labour costs for refurbishing them are greater.

IIRC, a caliper's £120 or so and Skoda charge labour at around £80 + VAT. If it's going to take more than about an hour to dismantle, refurbish, and re-assemble it, it works out cheaper to replace the part.  Not so good for the environment (unless the parts are sent off to be refurbished), but I can see the economic reasoning,

Thanks all for your comments and advice, very useful information. I've had to bite the bullet and get the Skoda dealer to do the work tomorrow as I need the car repaired for a longish journey and the noise is horrendous and will attract the wrong kind of attention.

Thanks again everybody.