Ordering Issues - VRS Estate

Be gentle with me, its my first post!

I currently own a 2016, quartz grey diesel VRS estate. I am delighted with all aspects of the vehicle and have been looking to change it for a new 68 plate.,  

After placing my order for a TDI VRS Estate with Skoda in Derby late last month, I was informed last week that they cannot now process the order as the factory are not accepting any new orders for diesel models - I can't quite understand why?  However, I subsequently pursued an order for a petrol variant VRS which was again accepted.  Dealer now tells me that it is not possible to order any VRS models at this time and that I need to wait until August when Skoda might/might not decide to take future orders.

Has anyone else experienced this/been contacted by their dealers with a similar story. I just want to make sure I am not wasting my time waiting for the dealer to come back to me?  

Cheers

This will happen at all dealers and is due to new regulations coming in that means all variants (not just engines) of cars have to be tested. This has meant they have stopped new orders on most cars at the moment until the testing is done. You would have the same issue ordering a non VRS Octavia or a Superb etc. You will either need to wait until the order books reopen (expected to hopefully be September) or you will have to look at another make of car (all VAG cars are affected by this to a greater or lesser extent).

Thanks PSM, that's really helpful and whilst it's frustrating, gives me some reassurance that its not just an issue with my dealer.

That said, others elsewhere on the forum seem to be indicating they have been able to place orders.  I guess in time, they will be told the same.

There could be some old stock that needs to be sold so a common variant with no extras maybe able to be ordered but will need to be delivered before the 1st September I believe. Any car that is made before the testing has been done and not sold by that date will have to be destroyed as it can not be sold. This is why they have closed their books until the testing has been done. The testing has to be done on every single variation so you have to test the base model with each engine but if you can add a sunroof for example to each model then this also needs to be tested and so on. I think the Audi A4 has something like over 800 variations that need to be tested which is why you can see it is taking some time. I believe Seat have sped their testing up by greatly reducing the options list at the moment and hence reducing the number of possible variations to test. 

Thanks, that would explain the delays.

Dependent on pricing when Skoda complete this mammoth task, there could be a significant number of buyers placing orders at the same time with perhaps elongated waiting times :mad: 

Ah, this would explain why one dealer I visited was trying very, very hard to get me to consider a Fabia instead of an Octavia.  The reason being that he already had pre-built Fabias en route to the showroom....

1 hour ago, PSM said:

There could be some old stock that needs to be sold so a common variant with no extras maybe able to be ordered but will need to be delivered before the 1st September I believe. Any car that is made before the testing has been done and not sold by that date will have to be destroyed as it can not be sold. This is why they have closed their books until the testing has been done. The testing has to be done on every single variation so you have to test the base model with each engine but if you can add a sunroof for example to each model then this also needs to be tested and so on. I think the Audi A4 has something like over 800 variations that need to be tested which is why you can see it is taking some time. I believe Seat have sped their testing up by greatly reducing the options list at the moment and hence reducing the number of possible variations to test. 

Just to clarify it further, it is not all variations, as some can be grouped, if they don't change weight or aerodynamics, or performance

example :  changing dashboard colour doesn't matter, but changing the material and thus significantly affecting weight does  

Some manufacturers are using the option pack solution, effectively dozens of previous options now grouped into handful of packs, which gives less variations

Edited by SurreyJohn

13 hours ago, Offski said:

What kind of Dealer, a drug dealer?

Actually one might know more about what will be on the streets later this year than a Skoda Sales Executive.

MY19 Changes .pdf

Interesting doc. 

So, the TSI vRS goes down to one exhaust pipe. Shame. 

And the estate roof rails change to matt black.  Shame no. 2. 

On 19/07/2018 at 16:59, Skip66 said:

I tried that Mikervrs but nothing suitable in stock. My dealer also mentioned that a 245bhp unit was likely.

Is that Bristol street in Derby? I dealt with John until the day I collected the car - handover guy was ****.

Was going to mention Rainworth have a 245 Meteor Gray Manual with 4,000m on it advertised but it’s a saloon.

That MY19 changes manual is really helpful, I have been waiting to order a petrol vRS since the beginning of the year (the week the order books closed I went to look at one without knowing that they had). Very glad they will have the 245 as standard. Went to a dealers at the weekend to have a look and enquire about the current status and availability and they informed me that there would only be a 190.... and no longer doing a vRS in any shape or form....

It wont put me off getting one :-) just cannot wait to be able to order one, especially liking the digital display option! Might have to add a few options after such a long wait.

Thank you to everyone on these forums, I don’t think dealers seem to have a clue what’s going on.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KevC_Derby said:

Is that Bristol street in Derby? I dealt with John until the day I collected the car - handover guy was ****.

Was going to mention Rainworth have a 245 Meteor Gray Manual with 4,000m on it advertised but it’s a saloon. 

Yes it is. They had been really helpful until the phone call cancelling my order- they now say they know nothing with any degree of certainty and to wait until August for an update.

Thanks for the tip on the saloon but it is the estate I'm after.