DSG sportline in my future??

Hi! 

I have a 2016 mk3 VRS Octavia tsi. I'm heading towards three years of my PCP and given Skoda seems to have 5 months wait for anything with a decent petrol engine I'm starting to look around.

I've got the DSG sportline on my list. The 220 variant in dragon yellow to be exact and I've been getting some carwow quotes already. 

I don't want to take a backwards step in specification or engine. However I'm torn, Im sick of the local roads that don't lend themselves to harsh riding cars. I feel like an SUV like the Karoq might be a better idea but then I'm forced down the dirty diesel route (Low miler here so dpf is a no no) or a gutless 1.5tsi. I just know I'll regret it!

So there must be a question somewhere! Are the superb sportlines with their 18" wheels and lowered suspension potentially any quieter or refined than my current VRS without going down the DCC route? If I add on heated seats am I far away from my VRS spec? 

I do love the look of the car inside and out but at the moment I'm comparing it to other cars in the same price bracket which are all smaller but seem to be a bot more advanced. Any advice here is greatly appreciated!

I have the sportline 220 dsg hatch and it comes with 19inch wheels and i dont have dcc, i find the ride to be very nice tbf.  I had a mk2 fl octavia vrs and that was hard and horrible on our terrible roads. Thuds into bumps and feel everything. The superb is still setup as a comfortable car even in sportline trim with the slightly lower suspension. 

Imo i find it a good compromise between a vrs octi and a non sportline superb.  But test drive one for yourself to make a judgement. 

• Like 1

If you want a 220, it'll have to be a stock model as you can't factory order them anymore. New equivalent will be a 190 once they get round to finalising the full spec. Skoda UK aren't taking orders for petrol engined Superbs until 1st October so they've told me.

• Like 1

Thanks for the information guys. I'm guessing the superb is suffering from the same problems as the other skodas with model changes and engine availability.

@themacster do you mean my only option currently would be a 190 for an order or that the sportline is never returning at all in the 220 trim? If that's the case then sadly I might have exhausted my options with Skoda and I'll be changing manufacturers altogether. I don't want to but I'm not compromising to that degree :( 

The 280 (or 270ish in new format) will still be available . I changed up from 220 to 280 and fuel consumption has only dropped about 4mpg overall  ,  huge difference in the grin on my face though :biggrin:

• Like 1

I've just moved from a MK2 Octavia vrs to a 220 sportline hatch. Performance is about the same, comfort far superior in the superb. Love it. You might pick up a bargain if you can get the spec you want on a pre built 18 plate. 

Sportlines have 19" wheels as standard.  Tyre price is the only major downside IME. 

The Sportline is set up to to be a nice compromise between the soft, cushioned suspension of the standard Superb and a hardened hot hatch.  It still has a bias towards comfort though. 

To get a more refined car, you'd have to spend a lot more on an E Class, Lexus or Volvo.  Most of the other 'affordable' cars can't get close. 

• Like 1

Totally agree penguin, having had a mk2 octy vrs with rock hard flintsones suspension for 6yrs the softer superb suspension in the sportline is just right for me lol.  Good compromise between sporty suspension and comfort.  Loving the superb, only had mine less than 2 weeks

That's exactly what I was hoping for to be honest. I'm not willing to go backwards on power or be spending upwards of 35k for the 280. It's back to the drawing board for me!

5 hours ago, ExSEAT said:

Sadly that's an entirely different price bracket! 

Not if you look at sub 12 months old / 6000 mile ex management / demos currently out there at c. £26/28k .   I'm possibly selling a September 2017 280 Sportline soon at c. £27k with just over 6000 miles , as new with a two year service plan and a few nice extras inc. Canton Sound / Front and Rear sensors / Heated Front Seats and a few more bits .  

• Like 1

Hi @Boxerdog1 that is all absolutely true. It's just not in keeping with how I approach cars these days. I don't buy cars I loan them from the finance company. I haven't had a car older than 3 years since I can remember and I treat them no different to gas bills or a subscription. If I was in it to buy a car then I would be right there for that kind of deal. For me though it would mean changing cars again in 2 years before warranty expires and mots begin and I have to start worrying about expensive modules and wear and tear components.

I'd also have to look at my options for 27k, a lot of very good cars in that range to compete with. All pie in the sky for me as I don't buy to keep sadly.

Just to chip in, I find the ride in my Sportline to be quite jarring, especially in comparison with the Yeti (and Citigo).

It's certainly a sporty ride, rather than a limousine ride.

Yep the 220 Sportline is now only available from stock. Had the same issue with mine and had to cancel my order and go for a stock one. Managed to get a Dragon Skin Green one with 90% of the spec I wanted so very happy. Fab car, love it. Ask your dealer you might be lucky, mine was the only Dragon Skin one in stock in the UK a few weeks ago but more stock might have arrived. Good luck. 

12 hours ago, ExSEAT said:

Thanks for the information guys. I'm guessing the superb is suffering from the same problems as the other skodas with model changes and engine availability.

@themacster do you mean my only option currently would be a 190 for an order or that the sportline is never returning at all in the 220 trim? If that's the case then sadly I might have exhausted my options with Skoda and I'll be changing manufacturers altogether. I don't want to but I'm not compromising to that degree :( 

No more 220s or 280s - they'll be 190 / 272 now. Don't know what versions each will come in but both will probably be available as Sportlines. We've yet to see how the 190 stacks up against the 220 performance-wise, but I can't see it being a direct replacement. My Octy comes up for renewal at the end of the year and I was going for a Superb 220 next as we need something bigger. Really may have to push the boat out for a 272, we shall see!

Edited by themacster

@themacster thanks for clearing that up. I had heard about a petrol version of the DPF so I guess this is the impact? I'm not going to splash out on another skoda hatchback with less power than I have now, my current 220bhp version is almost pedestrian by modern standards so to go back as far as 190 seems pointless.

The reality of it is starting to dawn on me. My skoda has been the most reliable car I've ever owned and the only one I haven't wanted to get rid of after 18 months but I'm going to have to change to a different manufacturer. I don't know who yet but it's a shame all the same.

38 minutes ago, ExSEAT said:

@themacster thanks for clearing that up. I had heard about a petrol version of the DPF so I guess this is the impact? I'm not going to splash out on another skoda hatchback with less power than I have now, my current 220bhp version is almost pedestrian by modern standards so to go back as far as 190 seems pointless.

The reality of it is starting to dawn on me. My skoda has been the most reliable car I've ever owned and the only one I haven't wanted to get rid of after 18 months but I'm going to have to change to a different manufacturer. I don't know who yet but it's a shame all the same.

Yes, its the need to comply with WLTP. A GPF (gasoline particulate filter) will be fitted, although I believe these dont suffer the regen issues of DPFs. I'd be interested to know which manufacturer you go with.

Edited by themacster

@themacster I literally have no idea where to turn. Can't go SEAT because the local dealer is a shockingly bad, VW is pointless as they will have the same ordering problems and bigger prices. Not an Audi fan or Ford fan, nor French for that matter. I'm running out of options! 

Thanks for the technical information though and I hope I haven't been asking questions that have made you and the other forum members repeat common knowledge! 

Do you need the space?  There's some very good non-VAG hot hatches around at the mo.  If I didn't need the space to carry family, bikes, dog then there would be an i30N on my drive now and not a Superb. 

@penguin17 the space is nice to have but not essential. I'm not really looking for a 'performance' car as such just something comfortable with decent overtaking potential. Where I live I make frequent journeys on a road that has no duel carriageway, lasts 40 miles and is littered with tractors, wagons and people doing 40 in a 60. Hot hatches don't do it for me as much as they used to but as impressive as the Hyundai is on paper it breaks a few of my OCD rules, like not buying early editions of a new car for example. I've heard that they are pretty poor inside and a fast engine isn't enough for me to overcome the thought of a Hyundai quality interior for the next 3 year's.

@Adrian55555the local skoda dealer has just told me they are looking for me. To be honest I'm not sure if I'll go for it anyway. The idea of a factory order was for it to line up the delivery time with close to 3 years ownership and getting a very expensive wedding out of the way. Unless they turn up a 6 month old absolutely stacked to the gills with spec 220dsg at an unmissable price I'll be sticking with my octavia for a few more months.

I don't want to go backwards on spec from my VRS and heated seats are an absolute deal breaker. I have an occasional back problem and they really help me (apart from being awesome in winter). I haven't fully explored the spec @Adrian55555 or the options but the camera would be a nice benefit as would a heated screen and android auto. I will need to look at the brochure I guess.

I've just had an offer on an AMG line A250 mercedes. Same bhp as my VRS but the spec is way off. I need to add a 2300 package to get the heated seats and folding mirrors, then 500 to get android auto. It's not worth adding 3k onto a 30krrp car for what should be basic specs!

Spec is king though.

My stock Dragon Skin 220 had heated seats, heated windscreen, rear camera, Columbus system, wifi and front parking sensors. And 11 miles on the clock. So a decent spec stock 220 can be had. When I chose mine from stock several weeks ago the dealer had access to fourteen 220's in the country at the time so I had a fair choice.