Fuel cap seal

Tttthhhh

Hi All,

My wife’s 1 litre citigo (14 plate) failed its MOT today solely due to a split fuel cap seal (rubber washer on inside of fuel cap). A replacement cost me £25. 

If it has happened once it will doubtless happen again in a few years so I want to be prepared. Can anyone advise where I can buy a replacement. They must cost about a quid at the most and take 30 seconds to swap over.

Many thanks,

Many thanks Wino. It is indeed part number 7 in that schematic. It is a sort of double washer and this is shown in the diagram so I have confidence it is correct. 

As per the description in your second link I shall phone them with my VIN to confirm it is the correct part before ordering. As you say £8.20 isn’t quite as cheap as I expected but it’s still better than £25. Whether I order one immediately or just monitor it I am unsure. But at least I now know how to get hold of one, so very many thanks indeed.

I am amazed that the seal failed. A four year old car with 21k miles on the clock. But the garage showed me the old one and it was cracked in several places all the way around. The garage seemed to think that their supplier having that part in stock for immediate delivery indicated that it wasn’t a totally uncommon problem, but who knows ....

Many thanks again.

Edited by Tttthhhh
  • Like 1

Perhaps other Citigo owning members could have a look at theirs?

Thinking about it, it's both a safety and an environmental concern; so ought to be publicised if it is a widespread fault.

Thanks again Wino. I would be very interested to hear of any other experiences. 

I run an 11 plate Fabia and a cursory look at that fuel cap shows a different design with no rubber washer to perish. So I am left wondering if this is another “improvement” in later models which turns out to be a backwards step. 

We bought my wife’s car in August 17 as a three year old used car with 18k on the clock. It passed last years MOT before we bought it at the dealership but one year, 3k miles and maybe ten fill ups later and this rubber ring was split all over. Strange.

Thanks oxon,

How weird is that ! Hopefully mine was defective and the issue will never happen again. Very odd. Maybe the original owner swapped it before part-ex ing back to the garage ? If so it should have been picked up at last year’s MOT by Skoda Doncaster.

Cheers

• Confused 1