Is my local service department pulling a fast one?

Hi all,

Was hoping for some advice?

I have an Octavia VRS, and was booking it in for a major service  (3 years old, 47k).

I decided after paying a lot for oil last time (£68) that I would supply my own ( Castrol edge 5w30 works out at  about £30 cheaper).

I phoned to see what they would knock off the fixed price of the major service, which according to their site is £279. They advised me they would deduct £45....but when I told them they had charged me nearly £70 for oil on the previous service, they tried to argue that oil prices fluctuate!

Anyhow, I got through to the manager who agreed to honour the price that they had charged me, and reduce the bill by £68.....so far so good.

However, he then advised me that I didn't need a major service until 60k miles or 6 years, and an interval service was appropriate. He advised that this would cost me £199, minus the amount he agreed to knock off for oil. Agreed and booked in....

However, I double checked Skoda's site, and was surprised to see that the fixed price for an interval service is not £199, but £159!

I phoned him back, and he said the extra £40 was because my vehicle needs a pollen filter (possibly true). However, it seems from the Skoda site that this fitted as part of the service cost, NOT as an extra. I suspect he was pulling a fast one to recoup some of the money from not being able to fleece me on the oil.

Any advice?

Are pollen filters included in the interval service?

Is an oil change service appropriate, or do I need a major?

Cheers!

Chris 

You can buy pollen filters from  ** Euro Parts at a fraction of the price Skoda charge. Quality makes, Mann/Bosch. Fit it yourself 5 minute job 

**. Other Motor Factors are available along with different brands of Pollen filters 

Edited by Auric Goldfinger

1 hour ago, Bertieboy74 said:

Hi all,

Was hoping for some advice?

I have an Octavia VRS, and was booking it in for a major service  (3 years old, 47k).

The reason I've stopped reading here is to ask what services has your car had already?

1: If on fixed service intervals, yr1 is oil service (basically a minor), yr2 an oil + inspection (basically a major) and yr3 back to minor.

2: If on longlife you'd have a long life service yr 2 and 4  

(all above is time or 20,000 miles whichever comes first.)

But neither service regime should warrant a major service at yr3.   So why are garages quoting you for that?

I decided after paying a lot for oil last time (£68) that I would supply my own ( Castrol edge 5w30 works out at  about £30 cheaper).

I phoned to see what they would knock off the fixed price of the major service, which according to their site is £279. They advised me they would deduct £45....but when I told them they had charged me nearly £70 for oil on the previous service, they tried to argue that oil prices fluctuate!

That's obviously *******s BUT...   you're negotiating on fixed prices. Prices vary accross the country - i.e. different labour rates, different building rates, different number of customers etc.  so some garages will be making more than others out of fixed price servicing. I'm surprised someone's able to negotiate on a fixed price service. You've got yorself a good deal there.

However, he then advised me that I didn't need a major service until 60k miles or 6 years, and an interval service was appropriate. He advised that this would cost me £199, minus the amount he agreed to knock off for oil. Agreed and booked in....

However, I double checked Skoda's site, and was surprised to see that the fixed price for an interval service is not £199, but £159!

I phoned him back, and he said the extra £40 was because my vehicle needs a pollen filter (possibly true). However, it seems from the Skoda site that this fitted as part of the service cost, NOT as an extra.

One person at Skoda who knows his stuff. (there's not many of them).

Pollen filter is part of minor service but even if it wasn't, he was wrong to charge you for replacement without checking the current filter. It's a pollen filter, not an air filter and has nothing to do with the performance or longevity of the car. Have you been suffering from hayfever in the car of late? If not the pollen filter is fine. Even if it wasn't just take it out, give it a clean and replace it. Or as per above, you can change these yourself for a fraction of the cost.

Edited by Guest

Cheers for your thorough post, much appreciated!

My car had been on fixed services, so it would be an oil change only I guess.

Sounds like he was correct about the service type, but I'm sure he is incorrect about additional £40 for pollen filter (which I will ask them to leave, and clean as per your advice ta).

As for fixed price, yes I suppose it is decent to be able to negotiate, but they can't charge you for oil they haven't used, and he was trying to overcharge me £40 on the oil change service....

I'll book in for oil change only, and try to get them to honour the oil deduction!

Thanks again,

Chrus

3-10 year old car on Fixed Servicing, the oil / filter is in the price minor & major, and as for charging money for Pollen, Air Filters and Spark Plugs not changed because they say not necessary without checking them they are taking the pith.

So if knocking off the Oil price that should be off £159, or £279 if the are participating / pith taking dealerships.

http://skoda.co.uk/finance-and-offers/service-and-maintenance/simply-fixed 

You need to pay for the Brake Fluid change at 3 years and every 2 if following Manufacturers guidelines, not Schedules. 

A/C Service every 2 years recommended, not a Guideline or Schedule. DSG oil change at 40,000  miles, Audi say 38,000 but call them a S-tronic.

As for Haldex, they have no real idea, 30,000 miles / 3 years or 40,000 miles, or forget to tell you or do it....

£40 on a pollen filter including  20% VAT is taking the Michael, check the price on a old Invoice, or someone here might look at the price of one at a Main Dealers at servicing. 

Edited by Offski

Cheers Offski,

That's a great help. I probably need to look at A/C, it's been hammered!

Confirms what I thought, that they are having a laugh.

I may write to trading standards, as in any other line of work lying to obtain money is fraud

Cheers

3 hours ago, Bertieboy74 said:

I may write to trading standards, as in any other line of work lying to obtain money is fraud

Isn’t that the truth. 

It irritates me intensely that car dealers up and down the country are ripping off unsuspecting customers by the thousand every day. 

Many of us on here get it and usually vote with our feet, but the non-petrolheads / elderly / unsuspecting / trusting people out there get done every time. 

Stealers.