Tips on using Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection

Chilli1

I've finally decided to move from waxes to sealants and thought I'd start with Autoglym EGP - partly because it has a solid rep, and mostly because it was the cheapest decent sealant I could find! I'm also compelled to accept the rationale for sealants, with their superior UV protection, longevity, and heat resistance.

Anyway, the bottle's arrived and I've noticed the consistency is like water. This is going to be a bit of a change for me and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with EGP?

Particularly, I'm curious if it's easy to tell which areas have already had the product applied.

Any comments welcome - cheers!

I usually use Autoglym red SRP first then a very thin coating of EGP. I usually leave my classic car for at least 24hrs in the garage before buffing off the EGP. My Daily car I only polish about every 6 months, but I don't do a lot of miles in it, under 3000 in 5 months. I only wash my classics once a year, but spritz off muck with a water filled pump bottle, then wipe with fast detailer and a micro fibre cloth, buff as req. Works for me but I'm a time served lazy sod.

I'm currently trying a BMW nanotech I've aquired, which is about £22 for a tiny bottle and can tell no difference.

You may find this video handy;

I've used it twice now, and am really impressed with it. 

I carried out my Annual Deep Exterior Clean in May and used AG EGP as extra layer of protection on two coats of Bilt Hamber Double Speed Wax. So far it is holding up really well. 

Just follow the instructions and just use a thin layer on each panel. Once you've finished go for a cup of coffee/tea and just buff off when you've finished 

I normally use AG Aquawax as a top up on my beginning of the month deeper clean, but have so far not felt the need to do so. 

AutoGlym get a lot of crap from people who seemingly use only the latest snazzy bottle of coloured generic chemicals from whatever "detailing" brand is currently in fasion/has been set up most recently.

Yeah, there's some not-so-good stuff in the range, but most of it is decent. SRP topped with EGP should give you a nice finish with decent protection.

I use Autoglym on my sons car in 3 stages. SRP, EGP then High Def wax. I find if you apply the EGP on a micro fibre pad working in straight lines with minimal pressure, it gives a contestant coating. Leave for 30 to 45 minutes to allow it to cure, then buff off with a clean quality micro fire towel / cloth.  

You might want to try EGP as a wheel sealant, worked pretty well for me. I think the reason it's fallen out of favour is the long cure time...... although this could be considered a bonus as it gives you an excuse for a cuppa and a kit kat :biggrin: 

5 hours ago, Taxboy said:

You might want to try EGP as a wheel sealant, worked pretty well for me. I think the reason it's fallen out of favour is the long cure time...... although this could be considered a bonus as it gives you an excuse for a cuppa and a kit kat :biggrin: 

I got my new octy 5 months ago. And took the wheels off, cleaned, clayed, polished and sealed with egp. Since then I've not had to use anything other than my pressure washer and a quick tickle with my wheel wooly.

#lifechanging

Many thanks to all for your advice.

I did the car yesterday with SRP followed by EGP.

My experience was that EGP was very easy to apply, but a nightmare to remove after drying for an hour (lots of elbow grease required; perhaps I used too much). The shine is nothing special - nowhere near as good as a carnuaba.

However, I knew it wasn't going to look as pretty as a wax - what I'm really looking for is robust, long-term protection. Time will tell!

31 minutes ago, Chilli1 said:

I did the car yesterday with SRP followed by EGP.

My experience was that EGP was very easy to apply, but a nightmare to remove after drying for an hour (lots of elbow grease required; perhaps I used too much information). The shine is nothing special - nowhere near as good as a carnuaba.

However, I knew it wasn't going to look as pretty as a wax - what I'm really looking for is robust, long-term protection. Time will tell!

I use srp, egp x2, the HD wax x2 on the paint work. Last for ages!!!!

On 06/08/2018 at 09:15, Chilli1 said:

My experience was that EGP was very easy to apply, but a nightmare to remove after drying for an hour (lots of elbow grease required; perhaps I used too much). The shine is nothing special - nowhere near as good as a carnuaba.

Something has went wrong along the way. I left a very thin layer on for about 30 minutes and then just went along with a good quality microfibre towel, might even have been a AG Polishing Cloth, and just wiped it off with very little effort. 

This is my 8 year old, near 100k vehicle after its Annual Exterior Deep Clean in May (two coats of Bilt Hamber Double Speed Wax and AG EGP on top) 

Three months later I'm only doing a normal wash, no requirement to top up the wax with AG Aquawax, which is what I have needed to do in previous summers. 

I'm hoping this will be the same during the winter after I've completed my Annual Pre Winter Exterior Deep Clean in September or October. 

20180807_091030.jpg

Edited by Guest
Spelling and added info

9 minutes ago, Fin69 said:

Something has went wrong along the way. I left a very thin layer on for about 30 minutes and then just went along with a good quality microfibre towel, might even have been a AG Polishing Cloth, and just wiped it off with very little effort. 

This is my 8 year old, near 100k vehicle after its Annual Exterior Deep Clean in May (two coats of Bilt Hamber Double Speed Wax and AG EGP on top) 

Three months later I'm only doing a normal wash, no requirement to top up the wax with AG Aquawax, which is what I have needed to do in previous summers. 

I'm hoping this will be the same during the winter after I've completed my Annual Pre Winter Exterior Deep Clean in September or October. 

That's a lovely shine on your car - it's like a mirror!

If you look at my photos above, nothing went wrong along the way. I just applied a bit too much EGP and left it to dry for an hour instead of 30 mins. I'm not surprised it was tougher to buff off than the liquid carnuaba I normally use; nor am I surprised it wasn't quite as shiny.

I'm curious about using EGP over a wax, because: 1. It won't bond very well, and; 2. You're sealing an organic product in with a synthetic one, meaning when the organic product degrades it'll simply sit trapped between your paint and the sealant, affecting the appearance.

Autoglym say that EGP is an alternative, not a supplement, to wax. They say if you absolutely must use a wax, then use it on top of the EGP. Makes most sense to me.

There does seem to be a lot of confusion over this - you're far from the only person who seems to wax then seal. I'd be interested to know the rationale behind this!

1 hour ago, Chilli1 said:

That's a lovely shine on your car - it's like a mirror!

If you look at my photos above, nothing went wrong along the way. I just applied a bit too much EGP and left it to dry for an hour instead of 30 mins. I'm not surprised it was tougher to buff off than the liquid carnuaba I normally use; nor am I surprised it wasn't quite as shiny.

I'm curious about using EGP over a wax, because: 1. It won't bond very well, and; 2. You're sealing an organic product in with a synthetic one, meaning when the organic product degrades it'll simply sit trapped between your paint and the sealant, affecting the appearance.

Autoglym say that EGP is an alternative, not a supplement, to wax. They say if you absolutely must use a wax, then use it on top of the EGP. Makes most sense to me.

There does seem to be a lot of confusion over this - you're far from the only person who seems to wax then seal. I'd be interested to know the rationale behind this!

I seal then wax on top. Deep shine and beads well.