Is a stuck caliper likely to be covered under warranty?

I think I've got a stuck caliper on my left rear tyre because it's making a squeaky intermittent noise that goes away when I brake. I had something similar before on a different car and it was a stuck caliper that cost £100 to fix. 

My Octavia (2014, 48k) is still under the 2 year warranty it came with when I bought it used but I'm not sure if this would be covered and my dealership wouldn't say on the phone. Does anyone have any experience with this and know if its likely to be covered? 

Doubt it as it is likely a Service & Maintenance issue as in no Servicing and Maintenance has been done since the car was built unless someone paid for it to be done over and above Main Dealer Minor & Major Services.

The Brake Fluid should have been changed at 3 years old so any idea if that was done or any record of the brakes being stripped, cleaned and grease where grease should be put.

Or brake pads or discs changed.

Full Main Dealer Service History does not mean much gets done.

PS

This is the Fabia Mk2 Section.

Edited by Offski

All of the necessary maintenance has been done including brake fluid changes. It's been well looked after. 

I thought with it being part of the brake system that's malfunctioning, that would come under warranty? The warranty booklet says this is covered: 

"Braking system: All parts including ABS system components; stop light switch; relays; discs; drums; cylinders; pipes and hoses."

Edited by Bungalows

Doubt it's covered, at least not without clear evidence of a fault.  Brake callipers seize for all sorts of reasons; ingress of dirt/grit, build up of muck or brake dust on the calliper carrier - neither would be covered by warranty unless perhaps the piston seal could be shown to have a fault that can't be accounted for as fair wear & tear.  In my opinion.

Gaz

My guess is if you ring them up they will tell you to book the car in for inspection, then they will tell its part of the wear and tear conditions and not covered.

The only way to find out is to start the process.

57 minutes ago, Greenie58 said:

My guess is if you ring them up they will tell you to book the car in for inspection, then they will tell its part of the wear and tear conditions and not covered.

The only way to find out is to start the process.

Are you referring to the free visual check safety check? Would they be able to tell from that?

I only ask because otherwise the labour will be charged at £95 for an hour, just to find out if I'm covered (and from what people have said I probably won't be covered anyway). 

20 minutes ago, Bungalows said:

Are you referring to the free visual check safety check? Would they be able to tell from that?

I only ask because otherwise the labour will be charged at £95 for an hour, just to find out if I'm covered (and from what people have said I probably won't be covered anyway). 

They should do a diagnosis free of charge, you dont have to go ahead with it if it’s not under warranty just make it clear from the start.

Have you jacked it up and rotated the wheel to see if it's binding?

Squeal could be debris or maybe brass filings in the brake pad material?  Or low pads.

I'd be tempted to pop the wheel off and have a butchers, check any anti-squeal shims are in place, look for anything untoward, then if it looks dirty drop the calliper and give it a jolly good clean and perhaps some copper grease.

Think your dealer is most likely to be non-committal until they can work out what the problem is.  They they'll probably present you will a fait accomplis, whether in your favour or not.

Gaz

• Thanks 1

On 04/08/2018 at 12:44, V6TDI said:

Have you jacked it up and rotated the wheel to see if it's binding?

Squeal could be debris or maybe brass filings in the brake pad material?  Or low pads.

I'd be tempted to pop the wheel off and have a butchers, check any anti-squeal shims are in place, look for anything untoward, then if it looks dirty drop the calliper and give it a jolly good clean and perhaps some copper grease.

Think your dealer is most likely to be non-committal until they can work out what the problem is.  They they'll probably present you will a fait accomplis, whether in your favour or not.

Gaz

Unfortunately I don't have the equipment or technical expertise to do that. I would have thought it would be a continual noise if it was low pads though? And IIRC my dealership said my pads were fine at my last service?

I think I may do as wiilydog suggests and take it for the free check at the Kwik-Fit near me rather than going to my dealer, who may well charge me for an hour's Labour just to do the same checks. 

• Like 1

On 04/08/2018 at 13:01, Offski said:

Bungalows, who serviced your brakes, stripping them cleaning and greasing them?

I haven't had that done specifically. The only work I've had done on this car is regular services with a brake fluid change every 2 years (last one being 2017). 

Apologies if this is a stupid question but is this something you're supposed to schedule regularly, like a service? As you can tell, not been driving that long. 

It has a lot to do with location, location, location and where you drive and park, and what winters are like and salting gritting of roads etc.

Plenty people do pre or post winter brake cleaning / servicing and maintenance and others do nothing.

No Main Dealers are doing it unless specifically asked and paid to.

This being why some DIY or use Independents that will do Servicing & Maintenance because they do or they will when asked and care about maintaining cars not just doing Oil & Filter changes, give a report and hope for work replacing parts.

Just thought I'd provide an update in case anyone has a similar problem: 

I took it to KwikFit, who were very good. They diagnosed it as the break pad pressing against the lip of the brake disc surround (i.e., the sound started because the brake disc wore down to below this lip). Although they said the brake pads and disc still have a fair bit of wear left in them, so to come back in 6 months time to get them replaced. The mechanic even cleaned and greased the disc as a temporary fix. Didn't charge me anything. In the short drive home it sounded slightly better, but even if it doesn't it's really very minor and I might as well get another few months out of them before I replace. They quoted me £245 for a new pair of discs and pads, which is probably a lot less than replacing the caliper.