Lowering 4x4 MK2 Estate

jronnquist

I have recently bought a MK2 4x4 estate. It's the 2.0 TDI 8 valve PD (BMM) with DPF. The first thing I did was transfer over my 18" Zeniths from the old VRS PD170 and the arch gap is nothing short of enormous. The lowering I would like to achieve, if possible, is what I got from adding 20mm Eibach springs to the VRS, which I believe was already 10mm lower than a standard 2WD non-VRS. Does anyone know what the default ride height is for the 4x4 compared to the VRS?

Having checked around on here, I found this list in another post:

Standard ground clearance. 

125mm for the Greenline,

127mm for VRS,

140mm for the standard car,

163mm for the 4x4 and

179mm for the Scout.

So the difference between 4x4 and VRS is 36mm. Does that mean - if I'm using the same wheels - to get the same result I would need to add 20mm to this, making the lowering springs I would need 55mm? 

So far the only suspension kit I have found that comes even close is an AP kit that lowers the front by 50mm and the rear by 30mm. That seems completely ridiculous to me. 

Solved. 

So my initial conclusion was that I would have to use coilovers to achieve the desired effect, but luckily the only ones I found for the 4x4 (Apex RDX) are no longer being manufactured. This spurred me on to a little more research and I finally stumbled onto some 55mm H&R lowering springs at Awesome GTI. 

So the setup I've ordered looks like this:

Bilstein sport suspension shocks

22-139191 front x 2

19-127439 rear x 2

Total with delivery £173.57 from autodoc.co.uk

H&R 55mm Spring Kit - Octavia Mk2 Sedan and Estate 4WD

Total with delivery £186.57 from AwesomeGTI

Dust covers and mounts

10683406 SACHS front shock mount kit 

10683405 SACHS rear shock mount kit

30396644 SACHS dust cover set for sport suspension front

30505115 SACHS dust cover set for sport suspension rear

Total with delivery £106 from Cartech One Gmbh

Total spend: £466.14

I think this is a decent price for a complete replacement with premium parts. Will post some pics of results once all parts are in and on. 

• Like 4

The only unresolved issue now is the drop links. VAG part numbers for both rear and front links are the same for the VRS and the 4x4, but that doesn't necessarily mean the bars are the same or that the mounting positions on the front shocks or rear bearing housing are in the same places. And there are obviously drive shafts on the rear axle to consider. I think it's going to be a case of checking clearances and angles once lowered and either getting adjustable links or just shorter ones if needed.  

• 1 month later...

interesting and it does look good but I actually like the look of our 4x4 with the big wheel arch gap...   and it's been pretty useful having the extra clearance in the snow over the past few years.

• 5 months later...

Well, if you're using the 4x4 for traction off-road I certainly agree that the stock ride height is both useful and necessary. I have no intention of ever leaving the blacktop, so for me stiffer suspension and a lower ride are ideal. And the car does handle well in its current configuration.  The old 170 PD VRS would regularly achieve wheel spin in 1st and 2nd gears in the wet, whereas the 4x4 handles beautifully. It's only a 2nd gen Haldex system, but so far it has kicked in without delay every time. 

I do find it odd that Skoda would opt to have a 4x4 estate when it already has the Scout, but I shouldn't complain as if they didn't I wouldn't be driving one, and I would never have bought a Scout and lowered it.