Do I need new vcds?

petrik25

I bought my vcds Ross-tech few years ago for around 200. When I was buying it I thought that this genuine cable will work on all cars with all new updates. Vag cars I mean. Now I just found out that this cable will not work on new cars on some modules. Politely said, what? 

If I want to access all of the modules on new cars I will have to buy new cable, and even then I can only work on 3 cars? And pay even more if up to 10? Can someone pls explain how this make sense? I was about to buy another one for a friend, but now just found out this about Ross's-tech, not sure anymore if I want to. 

I'm not sure what the issue is? Your current cable still does exactly what you bought it for and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. Nothing has changed as far as Ross Tech are concerned.

What has changed is VAG have developed new systems and controllers which your old cable (hardware) is not equipped to cope with, so if you want to work on newer cars then you'll need a new interface. Ross Tech have developed the new interface and have changed their working/sales practice. The equivalent interface to your old one costs £450 (from Gendan) which gives you unlimited use on as many vehicles as you choose.  They also do discounted versions of 3 vin and 10 vin for people who choose to save money and limit their working to a few vehicles, but you can always upgrade to the next level at any point if you wish. Just buy the level of tool which gives you what you want. As it happens, the cheapest option for unlimited vins is to buy the 10 vin version from Gendan (or other) and pay for the upgrade through Ross Tech, and save about £20 so that makes your equivalent interface £430. Then factor in that your existing tool will have resale value and I've seen them sell for £250 on Ebay every day of the week. So you could sell your old one, buy the new one and have full support for all vehicles and as many vins as you want for about £185.

Of course, if you really don't want to pay for a new interface then you can continue using your old one and not work on the newer cars. :thumbup:

Edit: Also, (quote from Ross Tech) " Only some VCDS functions are restricted to use on a specific number of cars on the 3 and 10-VIN limited interfaces. Basic functions may be used on as many cars as you wish: "

Edited by Rustynuts

VAG have changed the protocols used by their systems to be so much more complex than Ross-Tech could have envisaged back in 2000 that you can hardly blame Ross-Tech for not having a sufficiently good crystal ball to second guess what VAG might do.

I used to have a HEX-USB+CAN lead but upgraded (with trade-in) to a HEX-NET a couple of years ago (while it was still in beta stage) and am very happy I did so.

Edited by SWBoy