Cold warning.

So I was driving around rather early the other morning when quite unexpectedly the central display thingy (between the gauges) flashed up a snowflake icon and bonged at me to tell that it was 4 degrees Celsius outside. (See, it does get cold in Australia!).

It was as if the little Fabio was telling me "Jeez, bloody cold out eh?".

But my question is why? Why is this feature built in to the car? Of what benefit is to me for Fabio to draw it to my attention?

Curious whether those of you that inhabit the cooler climbs have an idea?

In the Nordics where the temperature is below +4 for multiple months of the year, this feature feels kind of unnecessary. When you have dug your car out of a pile of snow, you really don't need a notification that the roads might be slippery when you start it up :)

Does anybody know if this warning can be edited/disabled using VCDS?

This is a very useful warning to those of us in the northern hemisphere. It bongs on start up if the temp is below 4deg and will also bong when driving if the temp drops to this figure or below.

I lived in Campelltown  NSW for many years in my long distant past, We often had frost on the grass in the depths of winter but it was always around 60 deg f or higher by lunch time. The roads never got icy, I suppose because of the residual heat in the tarmac.

Harry

My last car would bong at +3C but would not say a word if it was -15C.

Mind you I hope that I would notice -15C. :whew:

Saw +44C this week. :sweat:

Thanks AG Falco

Edited by AGFalco
Extra Heat added.

My Sierra Ghia used to show a yellow or a red snowflake symbol when it got below a certain temperature that I can't remember now.

...Its the drop of temp that causes the icon and bong! Drop to below 5 degrees it goes off as it might be ice. Don't confuse ice with snow, though. As mentioned, it may be (Snow) Blindingly obvious but if you pass from a warmer area, say town, to an open spaced or rural area in your journey or even an exposed part of carriageway, the temp may drop and not just ice but black ice (Invisible on tarmac roads) may be present, without you noticing. Drive hard or star/brake suddenly, you may find your beloved car become the next generation of bean cans and plastic bottle!

So yeah, sudden drop in temp, bong!!! Now I know I'll take it easier! 

On 16/08/2018 at 15:50, the_raz said:

In the Nordics where the temperature is below +4 for multiple months of the year, this feature feels kind of unnecessary. When you have dug your car out of a pile of snow, you really don't need a notification that the roads might be slippery when you start it up :)

Does anybody know if this warning can be edited/disabled using VCDS?

Yes indeed it can be disabled. You don't need VCDS, it's just a setting that can be turned off via the settings menu (in my Bolero-equipped car).