Thinking of getting a VRS should I be worried ?

I like the look of the Steel Grey Metallic vRS Estate in Stockport.  13 plate 66,000 miles.

http://autotrader.co.uk 

Fastest Colour because it has the 'Cloak of Invisibility' just de-badge the rear.

High asking price but they might get near that, you chance your arm because they maybe need it shifted. 

If Full Main Dealer History you stick a Skoda Warranty on it when the Dealer Warranty expires or after 3 months.

There was a nice looking Estate for sale 8 miles away from me in Kirriemuir a couple of weeks ago but i just checked and it is not in their advert anymore.

I should have stopped and looked it over properly at the time.

Edited by Offski

On 17/08/2018 at 11:57, Offski said:

But many have been here and posted their experiences good and bad with twinchargers,   and good or bad with Skoda on warranties.    lots of us meet other twincharger owners that never come on here to complain,  and others that need to. There are less than 3,000 of the model in the UK and hundreds of these where owned by Briskoda members since 2010.

LoL what’s the balance on good to bad posts in the mk2 section.

• Haha 1

Quite high actually. 

If those looking at getting a Mk2 Fabia vRS did a search of the posts / threads from the dozens of people that started identical threads there would be no need for so many negative ones.

Maybe some should add the Positive threads, but there are a few of those about. 

Also the 'How many are there thread.

Are they really making £7000-8000 second hand? The reason I ask is that I went into WBAC this week as a bit of a ‘let’s just see what they say’ and they offered me a price of £4500. Mine is  a 63 plate one owner from new, full skoda s/h, extended transferable warranty until Nov and 73,800 on the clock. It has perfect body work and interior which they couldn’t fault but they lowered their offer a bit of for a cracked day time running light and a bit of lacquer white spider on two alloys and some small stone chips on bonnet. It hasn’t got all the glamorous extras such as sat nav/ heated seats/parking sensors etc.. but that makes it lighter doesn’t it?! I know that WBAC will probably not be highest offer  but are they really that far off?

Edited by PFE1

There are crazy 'asking prices' and if someone walks in and pays the Asking Price then the seller will be Larry.

If some Trader paid too much buying in a car then they need their money back but not many that have been traders for long will be buying 

for much more than the WBAC quotes. Unless they have something they want shifted and take in the vRS as a trade in.

WBAC are not in the business of not making money getting shot / sold the cars they buy in.

So they need a profit, where it goes like to auction or a trader then needs a profit.

The cars next selling price is going to be a grand or more over what they offer. £1,500 minimum i expect.

They are worth the Asking Price maybe, but if they have them and are not selling then that is becauase nobody is buying at that price.

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Race Blue said:

Dam  looks like I have lost this one. Adverts have been withdrawn,  couldn't get to Scotland till sunday. Wasn't prepared to put down deposit till I had seen car.

Still pig sick it's gone. Need to get over it and keep looking. Just waiting for someone to post it on here. My new vrs!!!

On 16/08/2018 at 16:02, dkl1971 said:

I'm assuming this is the one in Dunfermline Kia? Ours is identical (colour and spec) and we've had no issues, 2 owners, us and 1 other. We're on 50k miles and other than servcing and a new waterpump its been ok. OIl consumption seems fine. It seems these later cars are a better bet.

Sadly Mrs D has made noises about moving it on soon on as its 5 yrs old now.

Yes that car. Do you have grey wheels aswell?. Pump and belts have been done.

As said above dealership price are shocking, would you ever consider going private and with the money you save buy an extended warranty for £300?

I ask because I bought 2012 over a year ago private with 36k for only £6k, Albeit a risk however if you have the right info at hand here you’d have great chance to save some money.

Edited by Mickmartin
  • Like 1

@Race Blue have you checked with the Dealership that the car is actually sold.

Not just going to auction or the likes?

Mk 2 vRS Fabia Gigaro were available Silver, Black, Dark Chrome or White, the only grey was when Trinity Alloys from a Monte Carlo were fitted

(No non painted but lacquered bare metal edge to the rim)

or the Gigaro were refinished, ie painted / powder coated if some other colour.

Edited by Offski

15 hours ago, Offski said:

@Race Blue have you checked with the Dealership that the car is actually sold.

Not just going to auction or the likes?

Mk 2 vRS Fabia Gigaro were available Silver, Black, Dark Chrome or White, the only grey was when Trinity Alloys from a Monte Carlo were fitted

(No non painted but lacquered bare metal edge to the rim)

or the Gigaro were refinished, ie painted / powder coated if some other colour.

Yes I called dealer it went on Friday.

25 minutes ago, Race Blue said:

Yes do you know him?

Not personally mate however He’s on a Couple of the Facebook pages such as FABIA MK2 owners and Skoda Scotland, stays about 20 mins from me.

Looks a nice clean motor, he’s been slowly reducing the price as finding it hard to sell.

Edited by Mickmartin

20 minutes ago, Mickmartin said:

Not personally mate however He’s on a Couple of the Facebook pages such as FABIA MK2 owners and Skoda Scotland, stays about 20 mins from me.

Looks a nice clean motor, he’s been slowly reducing the price as finding it hard to sell.

Yes I guess there is a relatively limited market for them. In the process of asking lots of questions.  These vehicles require quite a lot of attention to keep them running well?

2 hours ago, Race Blue said:

Yes I guess there is a relatively limited market for them. In the process of asking lots of questions.  These vehicles require quite a lot of attention to keep them running well?

Not anymore than any turbo’d car IMO, Only really the spark plugs tend to go a bit quicker than the norm and oil like any petrol turbo should be changed between an interval of 5-10k.

Water pumps are common to go however I don’t think I’ve seen anyone ever replace more than one and that’s including high mileage Fabias.

What kind of mileage you hoping to do? My personal opinion is that these aren’t cars you want to be racking high miles in a short period.

13 minutes ago, Mickmartin said:

Not anymore than any turbo’d car IMO, Only really the spark plugs tend to go a bit quicker than the norm and oil like any petrol turbo should be changed between an interval of 5-10k.

Water pumps are common to go however I don’t think I’ve seen anyone ever replace more than one and that’s including high mileage Fabias.

What kind of mileage you hoping to do? My personal opinion is that these aren’t cars you want to be racking high miles in a short period.

The water pump has not been done on the one I am looking at. I do about 14k a year with a good mix of road types and no short trips.

14 minutes ago, Race Blue said:

The water pump has not been done on the one I am looking at. I do about 14k a year with a good mix of road types and no short trips.

14k’s not a huge amount just a tad higher than the average annual mileage,I done 7k last year in mine.

I might have a few arguements against this comment but coming from an EP3 Civic type R and a 2.0TFSI A3 I find the fuel on these cars amazing! 7 gears easily see’s me 400 miles  out a full tank.

Edited by Mickmartin

There are 8 year old 80,000 mile plus twinchargers on the original Water Pump and yet less than 5 year old, 50,000 mile ones that have had them replaced.

Be sure to get the right pump an belts, and have someone in the know do the job.

On a over 6 year old one the belts likely need replacing anyway.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/452647-fabia-vrs-mk2-waterpumpsupercharger-clutch-part-number 

11 minutes ago, Offski said:

There are 8 year old 80,000 mile plus twinchargers on the original Water Pump and yet less than 5 year old, 50,000 mile ones that have had them replaced.

Be sure to get the right pump an belts, and have someone in the know do the job.

On a over 6 year old one the belts likely need replacing anyway.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/452647-fabia-vrs-mk2-waterpumpsupercharger-clutch-part-number 

I always use my local skoda dealer. Seller says it chain driven. Are you refuring to aux belt, and any other belts I don't know about?

Yes they are chain driven.  & CTHE can have chain issues.  There are not many CTHE in the UK, less than 1,000, so not many CTHE Estates.

There are 2 belts to change with the Water Pump. That drives the Supercharger, hence it is Water Pump & Supercharger Magnetic Clutch.

If someone wants the main dealer changing a water pump and belts, there is no need for 1 hours diagnostics and t=it should be about £450 or less.

On ‎18‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 19:12, PFE1 said:

Are they really making £7000-8000 second hand? The reason I ask is that I went into WBAC this week as a bit of a ‘let’s just see what they say’ and they offered me a price of £4500. Mine is  a 63 plate one owner from new, full skoda s/h, extended transferable warranty until Nov and 73,800 on the clock. It has perfect body work and interior which they couldn’t fault but they lowered their offer a bit of for a cracked day time running light and a bit of lacquer white spider on two alloys and some small stone chips on bonnet. It hasn’t got all the glamorous extras such as sat nav/ heated seats/parking sensors etc.. but that makes it lighter doesn’t it?! I know that WBAC will probably not be highest offer  but are they really that far off?

Oh now you've done it, expect to get pestered by them with new prices for some years to come, been there done that, ah well no harm done really.

Did you actually visit one of their local offices/cabins/boxes or just so it online as a "look - see"?

Edit:- I can see that my second question is not relevant as it sounds like you did actually let them see the car in the flesh.

Edited by rum4mo

They quoted me £5000 online and then deducted some when they inspected it. Something like £70 for the cracked drl, £70 or so per white spider alloy ( if the wheels had actually been properly ‘kerbed’ It would have been more) and then the small stone chips (and I mean tiny!) on the bonnet (these I had touched in with paint as and when found so we’re not rusting)

I was really impressed with their approach, the buyer was a nice chap and wasn’t over picky etc.. they use a fixed formula when inspecting and have a set amount that they deduct for each fault but obviously they are in the business to make a profit and the amount they offer will probably not be the best offer out there but I suppose if you want to get a vehicle off your hands quickly they could be useful.