Skoda recall DPF issues

Hi

My wife has a 2011 Skoda diesel. She did the recall from skoda. Eversince the DPF light comes on once or twice a month. It has never come on in the year before. 

Any suggestions, we will contact the garage, but having a read through internet posts this doesn't seem to get anywhere. 

?

Hi Supertyke, 

Ok, so what model diesel has your wife got? How many miles has the car got on the clock and what mileage does you wife do each year? What was the recall that Skoda did on the car?  Did you buy the car new?  What sort of driving does your wife mainly do in the car ie: motorway, town or mix of both. 

If you can fill us in on these points we can maybe help.

Thanks.

Hi 

Its the Scout 1.6tdi. It has around 80k miles on the clock. Roughly 7000 miles a year. School runs and runs to work 8 miles mainly.

I believe it was an emissions recall early in the year. 

Hope this helps

Chris

If you put your car in for the Voluntary Fix, which was not a Recall you have your 24 month Trust Building Measure Guarantee from the VW Group / Skoda.

Look out your paperwork, and contact Skoda UK about your issue, and then see a Official Skoda Approved Repairer to get a diagnosis and the vehicle put right.

http://skoda.co.uk/about-us/contact-us 

They gave the car new Engine Management and a Flow Device was fitted to your car which had no issues, now they need to be sure your car still has no issues after 

their 'Fix'.  @ their expense.

...Problem is, at that mileage, DPF's can be well past their best anyway!

If your wife is not clearing it properly, that is her driving style, not a fault. That might be debatable though, if they did a job that affected emissions!

I would not call once a month excessive, though so if they do replace and or sort it, you got a result!

Edited by mrgf

Supertyke, the sort of driving/use your wife is doing is probably the cause of the issue. The 1.6tdi was never designed to run around on school runs etc and do just 7000 miles a year. The dpf will suffer. In fact, even the oil will not reach full temperature in 7-8 miles of running unless on a hot day, and never in winter. But the issue of extra regens may be enhanced by the new software your car is now carrying. The idea is that the new software will generate an extra regen to prevent the dpf from clogging up and also reduce emmissions. So I'd say that's pretty normal for a car that's doing that sort of work with the new software. Although, to be honest, I suspect that by now with 80k miles on the clock the car would be doing extra regens even with the old software as your dpf is probably almost at the end of it's life depending on how it's been treated/driven from new.  Do as Offski is saying and see what happens. Report back if you will. 

• 2 weeks later...

My Yeti greenline had the same engine as the 1.6tdi tdi Fabia, and had to have the update as it was a company car, just before it went  back to the lease company. Regens went from hardly noticeable at large intervals to doing 6 very noticeable ones every  200 miles or so in the last couple of weeks I had it. It was noisier, had less low down power and the fuel consumption also changed for the worse. This was on a car doing normally about 1500 miles a month and actually did 1500 miles in the last 2 weeks I had it after the fix was applied.

Based on this experience my wifes Fabia with the 1.6tdi engine has not had the fix applied, and will not have it. This Fabia is now nearly 5 years old, and has done about 4k max per year in the 4 years we have owned it with no regen issues or warning lights. A trip every other week or so of 45 miles return seems to keep the dpf healthy, so a low mileage diesel is not a bad thing. Nothing is going to go wrong when not being used. Only real risk is lots of very short trips, and never longer runs to allow the car to do a passive regen.

In the Yeti forum a number of people have reported similar issues following the fix. If less than 2 years ago and an obvious fault get it fixed under the goodwill warranty. Once the warranty has expired there are a number of companies that will reset the software back to the prefix status.

I have a 2010 1.6TDI with 54k on the clock and have owned it from virtually new, no issues whatsoever with the DPF and i do not do moon miles....... but.... i have NOT had the fix done due to the comments on this forum warning not to have it done due to the exact issues as described here and in other posts. I will not be getting it '' fixed '' .

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/08/2018 at 09:38, kenfowler3966 said:

My Yeti greenline had the same engine as the 1.6tdi tdi Fabia, and had to have the update as it was a company car, just before it went  back to the lease company. Regens went from hardly noticeable at large intervals to doing 6 very noticeable ones every  200 miles or so in the last couple of weeks I had it. It was noisier, had less low down power and the fuel consumption also changed for the worse. This was on a car doing normally about 1500 miles a month and actually did 1500 miles in the last 2 weeks I had it after the fix was applied.

Based on this experience my wifes Fabia with the 1.6tdi engine has not had the fix applied, and will not have it. This Fabia is now nearly 5 years old, and has done about 4k max per year in the 4 years we have owned it with no regen issues or warning lights. A trip every other week or so of 45 miles return seems to keep the dpf healthy, so a low mileage diesel is not a bad thing. Nothing is going to go wrong when not being used. Only real risk is lots of very short trips, and never longer runs to allow the car to do a passive regen.

In the Yeti forum a number of people have reported similar issues following the fix. If less than 2 years ago and an obvious fault get it fixed under the goodwill warranty. Once the warranty has expired there are a number of companies that will reset the software back to the prefix status.

Hi 

Thanks for this. I have contacted skoda. Do you know companies that will reset the software?

Hi 

I can say I have now contacted Skoda to ask for a fix. I do not believe this is a fault of wifes driving style. We owned the car doing the same drives for 12 months before the emmissions recall and had no issues, not once. 

I will also look into have the software re-mapped, could anyone recommend a company please?

Chris

• Confused 1

?

Do you mean you want them to Pay to diagnose if there are issues after 'The Fix' they did under your Guarantee that there would be no adverse affect with it?

That is a smart thing to do, i hope there is something they can do, part replaced or whatever, but i doubt it.

2 minutes ago, Offski said:

?

Do you mean you want them to Pay to diagnose if there are issues after 'The Fix' they did under your Guarantee that there would be no adverse affect with it?

That is a smart thing to do, i hope there is something they can do, part replaced or whatever, but i doubt it.

Hi

Ideally yes, however having read through a number of posts ad=nd articles to looks as though they won't be helpful. My next step is to look at having a rollback done on the software to pre-fix. Its so annoying. 

• Like 1

They did that, gave the Trust Building 24 Month Guarantee.

So anyone that had their car Fixed have this running, should have the Guarantee & T&C's in writing setting out what they say they will do, 

that does not mean they get away with only doing it for 24 months if a car is ruined.