cable wiring from battery to driver seat

Hello

Im in the beginning of a project. And I need to wire some cable from the battery to inside of the car and was wondering if there is any guide on how to find a way for the cables?

Well, I'm planing to install a heat cable, so it's gonna use alot of amps, so I want to wire it directly from the battery so I don't risk that any cables might melt or so

Heated Seats don't use a Huge amount of power at all, You don't need a huge amount of heat - I think the ones in my Construction days were no more than 90-100W. The circuit should have a Thermostat in there too and maybe a timer.

so you mean a Thermostat that breaks the circuit if the cable gets to hot? This is the cable im planing to install:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2M-12V-Self-Regulating-Heat-Trace-Cable-for-Freeze-Protection-on-Cars-and-Trucks-12V-Battery/32593349695.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.7f6e4c4daObC9V

15 hours ago, wranzzon said:

No no, the cable isnt for the seats, its for melting snow on the wipers...

So why do you need to bring power into the Cabin? Usually these kits are self contained under the bonnet.

Edited by KevC_Derby

On ‎20‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 17:01, O3SouthWales said:

Ah, Sweden.

That's probably more useful than an ejector seat now I come to think of it 

Haha, yeah I think so too

12 hours ago, KevC_Derby said:

So why do you need to bring power into the Cabin? Usually these kits are self contained under the bonnet.

I was planning on doing my own solution to this, by simply installing a heat cable in the cabin at the bottom of the windshield. And hopefully the cable will be worm enough to melt the snow and ice on the outside. But this seems lika a simple solution too, any idea on where to get a pair of these? That fits my Octavia. I´ve been searching around and not really found any that fits

You'll want to bond the element to the windscreen so it directly conducts the heat - any airgap is going to sap its efficiency.

Also, make sure the adhesive your using has minimal insulating properties - so definitely not double sided foam. Super glue could be most efficient, but really hard to work with. Double sided tape is going to insulate somewhat.

Also needs to be waterproof to handle condensation - super glue would fit the bill again.

1 hour ago, O3SouthWales said:

You'll want to bond the element to the windscreen so it directly conducts the heat - any airgap is going to sap its efficiency.

Also, make sure the adhesive your using has minimal insulating properties - so definitely not double sided foam. Super glue could be most efficient, but really hard to work with. Double sided tape is going to insulate somewhat.

Also needs to be waterproof to handle condensation - super glue would fit the bill again.

Thx for the input! I was hoping it would be so tight between the windshield and the plastic so that all I had to do was to press the cable so far down I could and that would be enough for it to sit tight. But if it dont, I guess I have to superglue as you say. I was also thinking to use aluminum foil on the lower side so the heat will be guided up to worth the windshield.

But the biggest problem right now is the cable to the battery, I have looked behind the battery but I didnt find any "hole" to the cabin. In worst case scenario I have to ask a mechanic to do it for me

Basic Electrical & Thermal Engineering.

If such a simple thing could clear a windscreen effectively then all Manufacturers would do it instead of the expense of Heated Screens and Washer Jets etc.

I've experience of Winter Packs and most of the time the energy taken from the Vehicle to pre-heat the starting aids depletes the battery and reduces the CCA. We found that the most effective methods are to insulate the screen and design out any areas where snow and ice can gather. One other thing we did was re-route and insulate the Washer Jet hose - alongside/around the top hose and this was really effective.

The method you prescribe isn't even used for a WIng Mirror with an area of approx. 150cm2 so I can't see how it could be effective on 15,000cm2 Windscreen! 

1 hour ago, KevC_Derby said:

Basic Electrical & Thermal Engineering.

If such a simple thing could clear a windscreen effectively then all Manufacturers would do it instead of the expense of Heated Screens and Washer Jets etc.

I've experience of Winter Packs and most of the time the energy taken from the Vehicle to pre-heat the starting aids depletes the battery and reduces the CCA. We found that the most effective methods are to insulate the screen and design out any areas where snow and ice can gather. One other thing we did was re-route and insulate the Washer Jet hose - alongside/around the top hose and this was really effective.

The method you prescribe isn't even used for a WIng Mirror with an area of approx. 150cm2 so I can't see how it could be effective on 15,000cm2 Windscreen! 

I dont intend to heat up the whole windscreen obviously, just where the wipers are in "home-position", because its when not using the wipers for 20 minutes or so that the snow gathered down there are frozen stuck to the wipers. So as I said, I just want to heat up where the wipers are

17 hours ago, CFBScout said:

In terms of the original question you do need to take the battery out to get a cable through, it's a pig of a job but possible. I have done it on my 2017 Scout

Ok, thx for letting me know! I will try to fix it next weekend!