Putting fuel additive into a 61-plate diesel Skoda Yeti

MuddyLanes

Drove to Cornwall a few months ago a distance of 330 miles. The mpg on the way down was better than on the way back because of a headwind. MPG does vary even on the same journey and distance but on different days. From start up I have an mpg marker which is a mini roundabout about three quarters of a mile from home. Generally at the marker I hope to achieve 36mpg shown on digital read out. During the summer it may touch 37mpg while in winter 35mpg. With aircon on it touches 31.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, edbostan said:

Drove to Cornwall a few months ago a distance of 330 miles. The mpg on the way down was better than on the way back because of a headwind. MPG does vary even on the same journey and distance but on different days. From start up I have an mpg marker which is a mini roundabout about three quarters of a mile from home. Generally at the marker I hope to achieve 36mpg shown on digital read out. During the summer it may touch 37mpg while in winter 35mpg. With aircon on it touches 31.

thats quite good...just drive off from your home and no stopping or gearchange downs...??

i live here in cornwall and will be going to manchester soon...thats about 330...irlam

i might hope to get some good mpg on that run

trouble down here just now are massive gridlocks where you sit for ages in neutral...then first for about as it takes to let the clutch out...then neutral again for about 5 miles...we folks arent use to this city driving..:)

did you drive to the end of the A30 past the st austell section?

cheers

geof

Edited by mrcrow

40 minutes ago, edbostan said:

I'm always amazed how much difference the aircon makes ... about 41mpg for me versus 47 mpg.

Didn't get chance to do anything today as it was raining.

59 minutes ago, MuddyLanes said:

I'm always amazed how much difference the aircon makes ... about 41mpg for me versus 47 mpg. 

In my Fabia it dropped about 10 mpg to run air-con and made it dangerous to pull out of junctions with low revs as it used so much power.
My Yeti 1.6 Greenline with climate control only drops about 1 mpg and the power loss negligible.

22 hours ago, oldstan said:

If it's any help, for the first time ever, I bought a Millers additive (  MILLERS Oils Petrol Power ECOMAX Fuel Treatment Additive 500ml  )  having read that quite a few reckon they experience a tangible difference.  It cost £12.99 from Halfords (the cheapest I could see and it's local). 

It comes with a long enough neck to fit down the filler and it was painless enough to do on the forecourt prior to filling up. It might work, it might not... but I was prepared to gamble £12.99 and if it does nothing it won't keep me awake at night.

image.png.cac4471c56e1914ef27e2d879feff12b.png

That's the one I use but for diesel, if it's the same you won't notice an immediate difference but use over a period of time will definitely benefit your engine. Over about 18 months I've seen an increase in MPG equal to about 2.5 to 3.5 MPG. My friend, who is a mechanic said that he swears by it for all his diesels and he strips the engines down and gets to see the benefits. He also said he has cured injector issues by doubling dosing with Millers or Redex to remove deposits and he's adamant it works. He also said that the Archoil additives are just as good.