Car valuation help

My 2014 Manual Estate (59k miles) VRS 220 has been written off. The insurers have offered the Glass' guide valuation (£12580) as there's nothing on the market to compare it against. If anyone is aware of a car, of a close spec for sale (I've checked Autotrader), advertised publicly, please let me know!

Class's guide what though

If it's trade cost buy, your on a loser

If it's trade to sell, its about right

See what webuyanycar offer you, if it's not 1500 above that say no. It costs the insurer a hundred a day for secure storage so until you settle their bill keeps going up. You currently have a strong hand, don't let them take it away from you, just tell them it's worth more than they're offering.

When they say it isn't, tell them to replace it like for like, same options, same condition & same mileage, as you can't for what they're offering, they'll soon improve their offer.

1 hour ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Class's guide what though

If it's trade cost buy, your on a loser

If it's trade to sell, its about right

See what webuyanycar offer you, if it's not 1500 above that say no. It costs the insurer a hundred a day for secure storage so until you settle their bill keeps going up. You currently have a strong hand, don't let them take it away from you, just tell them it's worth more than they're offering.

When they say it isn't, tell them to replace it like for like, same options, same condition & same mileage, as you can't for what they're offering, they'll soon improve their offer.

Checked with the insurer "It’s the actual average sale price, called “Retail Transacted”, the trade price that garages buy in at is much lower."

Given there's nothing of the same spec on the market, how can I get them to match what it would cost me to replace?

18 minutes ago, Cymru Blackline said:

Based on p/x price Skoda dealers are giving me for a 2016 vRS 4x4 with 40k miles, black pack plus and winter pack - that price looks pretty good !

You missed the point, the OP is not a trader buying at trade buying price, being a member of public he needs a trade selling price because that's what he'll have to pay.

1 hour ago, waaar said:

Thank you!

I have forwarded details to my insurer.

If they tell you "you'll get the difference as discount from the seller" tell them to negotiate the discount as you DON'T believe the seller will discount the car that much.

It's their insuree that has caused you these problems & therefore, its not your place to be running around, negotiating & generally being F'd about. If they aren't willing to do the work then they can pay you for your trouble.

Get gap insurance next time, using the link on this website, they'll deal with getting the insurers to cough up the best price and they'll make up the difference to the price you originally paid. Worth it for the minimal price charged. Don't get it from a dealer though, they're gap is a rip off.

4 hours ago, waaar said:

Given there's nothing of the same spec on the market, how can I get them to match what it would cost me to replace?

A few things to consider:

If there's nothing of the same spec on the market then there's nothing available for you to buy. Makes it a pointless exercise getting an exact figure.

Unlikely you're ever going to get exact spec so best option is to look for a replacement car that's as near as possible and negotiate that price with your insurer.

Always keep in mind that dealers publish 'advertised' prices but people always haggle. You also have no trade-in so the price you pay / the money you receive from the insurer will always be lower than the advertised price.

A dealers price will also include 12mth warranty etc which may not have been on the car you owned therefore that's another 'freebie' you'd be getting buying a car from a dealer. The replacement cost isn't necessarily the same as the price you can buy the car for.

There's one last thing to consider...  "As said, check WBAC type places to see what they quote, you should expect 1500-2000" more. But who says you have to buy a car from a dealer? You could buy it privately, you could also buy it at auction.

As per above, best idea is to look for cars that you believe are as near as possible to your spec, if it's more than you're insurer's quote, submit that evidence to your insurer. If you can buy it for less...  happy days.