Road tax question

elessars_patriot

As far as I'm aware the road tax is non transferable now. But the garage we bought the car from was insistent that because the previous owner had chosen not to claim the tax that it was taxed until next year. It's showing on DVLA as taxed but I'm sure if we ring them to enquire about it we will lose the tax and have to pay it ourselves. It's not a problem we are just concerned and don't want to get in to bother by not being honest that we are the new owners.

Upon selling our previous car the buyer instantly notified the DVLA re the tax, and we are expecting a rebate for it to arrive next week.

1 hour ago, elessars_patriot said:

As far as I'm aware the road tax is non transferable now. But the garage we bought the car from was insistent that because the previous owner had chosen not to claim the tax that it was taxed until next year. It's showing on DVLA as taxed but I'm sure if we ring them to enquire about it we will lose the tax and have to pay it ourselves. It's not a problem we are just concerned and don't want to get in to bother by not being honest that we are the new owners.

Upon selling our previous car the buyer instantly notified the DVLA re the tax, and we are expecting a rebate for it to arrive next week.

My understanding of the new system is informing the DVLA of the sale of the car, either by the previous owner, or trader you bought the car from, would automatically cancel road tax. If the previous owner had paid in full "up-front" they will automatically get a refund (whether they want it or not!).

The car will be showing as taxed online, as the trader presumably hasn't (yet) transferred ownership of the car to you. Once this happens a replacement V5C will be generated (in your name) and you will then become liable for ensuring the car is taxed.

The previous owner will then receive a cheque for any outstanding tax.

More here: https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-refund

As stated above - this is just my understanding of the new road tax system.

• Like 2

^^^ this

Strange that a garage would not know the law regarding transfer of ownership.

I suggest the OP check the legitimacy of the sale.

Is the car stolen or otherwise been obtained without the previous owner's knowledge? Maybe the previous owner died.

Do you know the previous owners details?

Has the price you paid reflected the garage's assertion that it has full tax? 

Contact DVLA for advice.

You need to be registered as keeper, legally and for insurance purposes and to finalise the sale/ownership so your statutory rights are in place in case you have problems with the car.

Hi I am a postmaster, do car tax in my post office and have done for 10 years. Did the garage give you the V5C/2 (green slip from V5) or the full V5 upon purchasing the vehicle? If so I’d go online or go to a Post Office that does car tax if one is local and tax the vehicle as a new keeper. If you only have the V5C/2 they will tax it as a new keeper for you and if the garage has sent off the V5 you’ll receive a new one with your details in a few weeks. If they haven’t you can fill in a V62 and send it off with the V5C/2 to get one in your details. If you have the full V5 with the previous owners details the post office will send it off for you when you tax it. However if you’ve had no V5 or V5C/2 from the garage get a V62 form, fill it in as best you can but make sure you put the VIN number on it and the Post Office can again tax it for you as a new keeper but there would be a charge of £25 for a new V5 due to it being ‘lost’. As stated by others here tax no longer carries across on the purchase of a vehicle and must be purchased before using the vehicle on the roads in the U.K.

Hope this helps

I bought a car last year from a private seller, they handed me a V5c but was a very old one and I could not tax the car on the night, I managed to get it home and taxed two days later.

Pink Panthers understanding is correct through.

Davy