Kodiaq first long trip but sore rear.

Jfhuk

Just did the first long trip in the 2.0 TSI SEL Bear to Cornwall and back over the weekend.

I was very impressed with how quiet it was on motorways and the extra presence seems to help on narrow roads with much improved visibility. 

The DSG box and engine are a great combination and the engine really wants to go after having a couple of thousand miles.

Satnav even found a back route around Bristol to avoid a crash on M5.

The only negative was the seats which after four and a half hours driving (break times excluded) seemed to lack enough stuffing to stop the nether regions getting a little tender and the left foot getting slightly numb!

Has anyone got any suggestions on how to achieve the most comfortable setting?

The seats are leather non electric. I’ve adjusted them as the manual suggested, but the settings don’t seem to be right for long journeys.

12 minutes ago, Jfhuk said:

The only negative was the seats which after four and a half hours driving (break times excluded) seemed to lack enough stuffing to stop the nether regions getting a little tender and the left foot getting slightly numb!

Has anyone got any suggestions on how to achieve the most comfortable setting?

https://www.physiomed.co.uk/uploads/guide/file/21/Physiomed_Sitting_Guide_-_Driving_Digital.pdf

• Thanks 1

to be fair on my very first "long" distance drive (Reading -> Exeter) my left knee got a little sore. However that's the one and only time that's happened to happy to chalk that down to old age lol 

• Haha 1

Different car - but I struggled with my Superb II to start with - in reality the problem was it had too much adjustment. I'm 6ft 4" and usually slam a car seat fully back however with the Superb for the first time ever for me it was too far back!

I only had the Kodiaq as a courtesy car - but rather liked it. Didn't do 100's of miles though.

Edited by bigjohn

As above.

Simply try using various positions.

Perhaps closer to the wheel than you might expect.

Perhaps further back.

Perhaps a bit more liner support.

Perhaps a bit higher.

Perhaps a bit lower.

Both my previous Superb and my current Bear are All Day Comfy.

Of course, it might be the horrible sticky leather seats :D

22 hours ago, robdav said:

to be fair on my very first "long" distance drive (Reading -> Exeter) my left knee got a little sore. However that's the one and only time that's happened to happy to chalk that down to old age lol 

You and me both on the old age bit, though I do feel I haven’t got the settings right yet.

21 hours ago, BoxerBoy said:

As above.

Simply try using various positions.

Perhaps closer to the wheel than you might expect.

Perhaps further back.

Perhaps a bit more liner support.

Perhaps a bit higher.

Perhaps a bit lower.

Both my previous Superb and my current Bear are All Day Comfy.

Of course, it might be the horrible sticky leather seats :D

Leather seats haven’t got sticky so far, it’s just the lower part of the back, rear and numb left foot that I need to work out.

22 hours ago, bigjohn said:

Different car - but I struggled with my Superb II to start with - in reality the problem was it had too much adjustment. I'm 6ft 4" and usually slam a car seat fully back however with the Superb for the first time ever for me it was too far back!

I only had the Kodiaq as a courtesy car - but rather liked it. Didn't do 100's of miles though.

Being 6ft 4ins as well I think I’ll have to explore the seat front and back position further.

• Like 1

I'm starting to struggle with many cars these days for two major reasons:-

• Beefed up B pilars that also seem to be further forward are causing me issues - eg in the latest Octavia my right elbow position and turning right vision is all B pilar! (Not a problem in the Superb or Kodiaq)
  • There is a trend for newer cars to have more and more heavily bolstered seats - can be a problem for my ample frame!

My next car may be when I retire in a few years (unless my son takes it off me!) and want to downsize to one car and Mrs BJ finds my Superb a bit big to drive. Not sure what next - possibly Karoq (bit pricey for me at the mo) or Golf 3dr? I was quite taken with the Kodiaq but probably too big for Mrs BJ.

Edited by bigjohn

Unfortunately sometime our differing bodies just don't get on with a seat or position no matter what you do. My right knee hurts after a long journey. No matter how I place it ,it just aches. No issue with it at any other time. Whilst the Kodiaq seats are pretty constant we are the variable and some of us just won't get comfy with our biomechanics or previous injury. Tweaking the lumbar support on our car helps the most with posture discomfort for me.