Fitting Vrs Dashcam

Kevlil

Hi 

Having  looked everywhere, it’s become clear to me that I cannot find what I’m looking for......... I have a 2009 Octavia Vrs diesel and I think its about time to fit a dashcam! So i bought a Garmin dashcam 55 with the hardwire cable kit.there are only three cables to the hardwire kit,  one for earth, one for acc  (switchable live) and a permanent live. What i am after is a guide to fitting and wiring in a dashcam (preferably a Garmin) but its not essential. I have decided to try and fit it myself as the garage i use want £50 to fit it which seems a bit steep for three wires and hide a wire under the headliner.

Can anyone help please? 

Power source can be anywhere on the car, radio or ignition! Earth it to a point on the A pillar and switch iggnition be a wire that comes on when key is in or turned on, do u have electrical tester? 

Mines in but on cigar lighter i want do mine but never any time 

• 3 weeks later...

The Garmin 55 has an optional parking mode cable, which allows you to record constantly when parked up, I fitted this, but instructions are basically the same for the normal cable.

I fitted the cam behind the rear view mirror - can't see the screen there, but it is out of the way and won't be a distraction when driving.

Tuck the cable under the headlining where it meets the top of the windscreen. Remove the A pillar cover - it unclips - run the cable behind that and down into the fuse box. To access the fuse box ( I hope this is right, my car is LHD ) remove the coin box from under the steering wheel. The panel on the end of the dash - half-moon shaped - can be pushed out when the coin tray is removed.

Find an ignition switched fuse - 48 on mine. Remove the fuse, put in the piggy back fuse holder, with the removed fuse as the bottom fuse in the piggyback holder.

For the parking mode cable - an extra power feed with a small battery - add this into a fuse that is permanently live.

For the earth, there is a bolt / hex head in the fuse box - remove it, put the earth around it and then fix it up nice and snug.

Put the panels back, make a cuppa.

You'll need:

a multimeter - for checking for live / ignition switched live fuses

10mm socket with extension

• Like 1

• 1 month later...