bye..! 280k miles in vRS's coming to an end

rob_e

This is my last week in my vRS.  

I had my first vRS back in 2009 (coilovers, stage 1 map, bbs) which after 100k miles i swapped for a near identical 2012 vRS (biltstein, H&R, neuspeed wheels, Brembos, columbus) which i ran for a similar 100k or so.  That was replaced in 2016 by the current pre-facelift Mk3 vRS 230 in meteor grey.

I've loved my time in this car and it really is a fantastic machine, plenty of power, diff is excellent but it does all the family duties and day-to-day grind so well.  The stock spec of the "230" is just fantastic, leather heated electric memory seats, nav, bleepers etc everything you need.

I've not played with this one as i have been putting my "modding" energies into my camper van.

Reason i'm going?  Well this is a company car and the tax is just crippling, plus i can't order a 245 (logical replacement) or a manual cupra either due to wltp bo11ocks and there is no clarity on the tax that i'll be paying post 2019 - it could jump up for performance cars and i don't want to take a risk.

The car has been 100% reliable over 80k miles / 30 months.  Only negatives; leather on the gear knob is rubbing off, OEM dampers are rubbish (bilsteins would have been worth the investment) and the glossy black trim around the gear knob is way to easy to scratch, nothing big though.

Day after it arrived (march 2016):

25164065739_6fce4d6d69_b.jpg

hard at work by Rob E, on Flickr

loaded up, dog crate etc:

26713926683_8837625b36_b.jpg

Roof box by Rob E, on Flickr

winter wheels:

31140096951_faf46051cf_b.jpg

Winters on vRS 230 by Rob E, on Flickr

boat lugging:

28641444947_ca07449a95_b.jpg

Untitled by Rob E, on Flickr

last photo i took (july) still scrubs up well

43435912792_7c9a406b45_b.jpg

vRS @ 75k miles by Rob E, on Flickr

• Like 4

ha ha.. nothing exciting, needs to be a load lugger (kids and dog) and cheap to run but primary motivation right now is money saving, so i'm just about to pick up a 3 yr old honda civic tourer.  1.6 d does real world 70+ mpg and a stage 1 map gets you 309 lb-ft which should be enough to get it moving.

35 minutes ago, ahenners said:

Shame, your 230 looks great and good to see you put it's practical side to good use too! I'm hoping mine will prove to be just as reliable. Are you selling the 230 privately?

nope, going back to the leasing co

1 hour ago, ahenners said:

80k miles on a lease? :o

not exactly, my company buys the car but we do that via a lease co. 

59 minutes ago, JohnnyType2 said:

is that a latebay westy champagne edition?  i run a forum called earlybay.com :clap: (hence the name)

Yes good spot :)  You're aware on the latebay forum they refer to eary bays as "prototypes" ?  :D

1 hour ago, rob_e said:

not exactly, my company buys the car but we do that via a lease co. 

Yes good spot :)  You're aware on the latebay forum they refer to eary bays as "prototypes" ?  :D

yeah they call us the pipe and slippers brigade... a bit of friendly rivalry. I have an unrestored 71 microbus, a 71 devon and a 61 convertible. oh and a meteor grey estate ;)

Edited by JohnnyType2
  • Like 1

Yeah, no. I don’t actively search for cars with big miles, I just seem to pile them on. I’d love to swap to petrol but you’ll be prising my DSG shifter out of my cold dead fingers! I’d never go back to a manual. Good luck with the new car OP. Shame that the farce VAG has made over WLTP is stopping you having the car you want.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

Yeah, no. I don’t actively search for cars with big miles, I just seem to pile them on. I’d love to swap to petrol but you’ll be prising my DSG shifter out of my cold dead fingers! I’d never go back to a manual. Good luck with the new car OP. Shame that the farce VAG has made over WLTP is stopping you having the car you want.

Sasha sorry about spelling your name wrong, been a while since I looked at your OP. I feel the same about going back to a DSG car. Much prefer changing gear when I want not letting the computer decide.:o

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

Sasha sorry about spelling your name wrong, been a while since I looked at your OP. I feel the same about going back to a DSG car. Much prefer changing gear when I want not letting the computer decide.:o

There’s been nothing going on with the car lately but I’m waiting on a few bits and bobs so will update soon :)