Sportline suspension was too hard, now not?

Bit of a strange one, this, and I wondered if anyone can shed any light.

So we've had our Sportline for just over a year and we've been cursing the harsh ride for the first 12 months.  Absolute CRASHING into every pothole, and bumpy roads have been an ordeal.  It was so bad when we first got the car, I considered taking it back and trying to change it for a non-Sportline version.

Anyway, we started to get a knocking noise from the front offside over bumps, as the springs extended or contracted.  Having owned VAG group cars on and off for quite a few years, I assumed it was a broken suspension arm or maybe a broken spring.  Such was the firmness of the ride, it felt like sooner or later something was going to 'go', with the state of the roads in this country.  I ranted and raved a bit at the service manager on the phone and he asked me to bring it in for a look.  So I did, and sure enough, the Master Technician could hear the knocking on the test drive.  He whipped it into the garage and I took a seat in the waiting area.

Ten minutes later, literally, he emerges.  'All done' he says.  He tried to explain that it was some sort of bracket around the top of the suspension mount that had worked its way loose since the car left the factory.  No charge etc.  Simple fix.  I was delighted, because I could foresee a battle with me arguing the warranty should cover it and them saying I've damaged the car.  No worries.  Sorted.

That was a few weeks back, and not only is there no trace of the knocking noise, but the ride in general is noticeably better.  So much so, in fact, that it feels like a different car.  Surely it's not just psychological?  Hasn't crashed over a single bump nor pothole.  Whilst the ride is still reasonably firm, it's just how I like it.

So what gives?  Is there some kind of 'factory packaging' around the suspension that they'd forgotten to remove, hence the overly-firm ride then the knocking?  Or was something set wrongly?  Either way, all's well that ends well, but I'm curious to know, and this also gives the heads up to anyone having similar issues.  Ten minutes work to transform the ride?  Strange one, that, as I said.

• Like 1

Wow.  Cheeky ******os!!  A year's worth of whincing every time we went over bumps, for no reason whatsoever other than their own negligence.  Thanks very much for that.

Let the Warranty Provider know and be sure the Dealership have your cars History and this on the system.

Just incase any further suspension failings,  the Dealership can pay, or Skoda UK can charge them.

I would be asking the Dealer Principal to extend your warranty, as a Gesture.  They have incompetent employees if they PDI's it and Supervision is not up to the standard it should be.

http://skoda.co.uk/about-us/contact-us

• Like 3

There are a few issues on the car which I think may all be related;  The washer fluid tank leaks (quite significantly) and I randomly lost a piece of the front grill.  The ride was SO harsh, they could've easily been damaged on hitting any number of bumps and potholes.  If it sounds like you're driving into a wall, that can't be good for the car...   I'm so annoyed with myself for not getting it looked at sooner, but I just put it down to aggressive sports suspension.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Had the same harsh ride in my front nearside wheel. 

I have been driving over some pretty poor B roads in Ireland (north and south) and on two occasions the crash was so bad I got out to see if there was any damage.

Anyway, took car in for regular service and asked that this be looked at, noting in particular if any of the delivery transport blocks had been left in.

Answer 'no' but my car has to go back in next week to get "modified bolts at front and special grease applied". Queried why and was told some cars have a suspension knocking sound and this is the fix.

Anyone heard of this?

Drove home from service and suspension noticeably better...

Hmm.

• Haha 1