Thinking Of Buying A Citigo

roconnor

Hi All,

I've just found this very interesting forum, whilst looking for information on the Citigo. I would very much value your views on the car; particularly  whether it is reliable or not.

I tend to cover only about 5000 miles a year usually on short trips.

The other thing I am interested to know is whether the 75hp engine is sufficient to haul the car up hills? This is quite important to me as I live in a rather hilly area.

Thank you in advance.

The Citigo is a Good car. The thing that I say it’s missing is a turbo - like the UP! has. 

Overall though, it is a good car and can manage the bigger hills, even if you do need to drop from 5th to 2nd sometimes. 

Just to add, there ain’t much difference between the 75ps and the 60ps so don’t rule out a car you like even if it does have the smaller variant in it. 

• Like 1

What are you looking at, new or second hand? If the latter what is your budget? 'cos that will probably determine the initial mileage on car and forward reliability.

What part of the country are you? To determine the characteristics of hills you would traverse. Cornish short/very steep or Yorkshire long grind/steep etc?

What sort of vehicle do you normally drive? Relative power/weight ratio is as good an indicator as any of comparative performance.

What are your chances of getting a test drive in one to assess relative performance for yourself? Power adequacy is a very personal thing but no matter what make you are considering in this category you will be better off with a manual, and be prepared to stir the box.

Edited by Gerrycan

9 hours ago, Jonny118118 said:

The Citigo is a Good car. The thing that I say it’s missing is a turbo - like the UP! has. 

Overall though, it is a good car and can manage the bigger hills, even if you do need to drop from 5th to 2nd sometimes. 

Just to add, there ain’t much difference between the 75ps and the 60ps so don’t rule out a car you like even if it does have the smaller variant in it. 

Thanks very much for your reply. I spoke with VW head office yesterday because I couldn't see the 90PS on their website. Much to my surprise they informed me that they are not currently offering the little turbo for sale. When I asked why, the chap was a bit vague, but suggested that it could have something to do with emissions.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

What are you looking at, new or second hand? If the latter what is your budget? 'cos that will probably determine the initial mileage on car and forward reliability.

What part of the country are you? To determine the characteristics of hills you would traverse. Cornish short/very steep or Yorkshire long grind/steep etc?

What sort of vehicle do you normally drive? Relative power/weight ratio is as good an indicator as any of comparative performance.

What are your chances of getting a test drive in one to assess relative performance for yourself? Power adequacy is a very personal thing but no matter what make you are considering in this category you will be better off with a manual, and be prepared to stir the box.

Hi, I'm looking at new, but would be prepared to buy a newish second-hand car if the lead time for a new vehicle is too long.

I live in the Lake District

With regard to the the gearbox I've been burned by VW's DSG unit in the past,so it would definitely be a manual.

When they imported the Up! into Australia the decision was made to stick to the manual because the ASG was reportedly so bad.

Of course Australians mostly buy auto equipped vehicles so the poor old Up! was doomed from the outset and dropped after a couple of years of slow sales despite glowing reviews.

No Citigo was or will ever be sold here. I like good small cars and always had a hankering for one (or Up! version) with its reputation as having a class leading ride and reading of epic 700 miles on a tank threads in this section.

The Citigo should be great on the small Lake District roads although those 25% gradients will probably need 2nd gear and bit of patience but luxury compared a visit there (way back) in a 1 litre Ford Anglia 105E and still managing to get around all the passes. Oversquare engine loved to rev but little or no torque anywhere.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...