Is the WLTP 1.5TSI worse than pre-WLTP 1.5TSI?

Crassus

13 minutes ago, Offski said:

Max48,

Do you drive to work inside on a test rig, or even outside on a test rig?

Imagin how slow the kodiaq will be with the new 1.5 tsi wltp engine with 5 people on board....

Edited by Max48

I have mentioned in another thread that we should not be surprised by a performance reduction with the introduction of stricter emission standards as historically this frequently occurred.

Enough oldies here who will remember when catalysts were first introduced and then dpfs for diesels. Performance/consumption/reliability were hit in a big way (unless you applied a cheat) until they improved the technology in later versions.

• Like 2

My pre-WLTP 1.5 also sounds awful above 4000rpm, but turbo lag is virtually non-existant, and so long as the revs are not extended it is a peach. Fuel economy is superb @ 37mpg, compared to my Octavia VRS TSI which does 28mpg with identical usage (mostly around towm).

Perhaps the newer model offers even better economy?

On 29/09/2018 at 19:33, Orville said:

My pre-WLTP 1.5 also sounds awful above 4000rpm, but turbo lag is virtually non-existant, and so long as the revs are not extended it is a peach. Fuel economy is superb @ 37mpg, compared to my Octavia VRS TSI which does 28mpg with identical usage (mostly around towm).

Perhaps the newer model offers even better economy?

It won't. WLTP engines are not better. They are worse from a drivability/performance point of view. Neither will fuel economy be better if you drive like a normal person. 

The Golf R for example has seen a 10hp reduction since WTLP. However as mentioned earlier, it's "invisible" changes like engine and gearbox software that makes the biggest difference in how an engine feels to drive.