Rust around fuel filler door

Trubrit

On 28/08/2019 at 16:50, Rooted said:

PS

Important.

If they ask why Annual or Bi-annual Body Inspections are not on record as being done, ask them why not as the car had Main Dealer Servicing and it is part of the Services and should be carried out, if not the records show who never did it.

Having spoken to the warranty guy at my local dealership I can certainly identify with this. It is obviously a standard attempt to convince you not to proceed.

In my case I bought a car with full dealer servicing at a different dealership and had it a year now.

Today, he was coming up with things like the car should have had the extended range service done, otherwise Skoda wouldn't touch it under warranty

The thing is all that is required is a full service history and by law a manufacturer cannot even insist on dealer servicing, only that the car is regularly serviced. In my case the car is 7 years old and only has 15,000 miles. If a full service was done say after 3-4 years and the dealer didn't notice anything, then that is enough to satisfy the warranty requirements IMHO. Given the known issues, you would think the mechanics in the dealerships would have been warned to look.

In any case, this is a known fault, so the cars could have been brought in for inspection by issuing a recall.

I will definitely be pursuing this as far as I can.

Had a Fabia before and otherwise good cars to be fair.

• Like 2

In addition to the above, the other aspect to this is that the SKODA dealer that did all the servicing and sold me the car second hand (also sold it new) was the only garage to ever look at the car and I was assured that the car was serviced completely by the book.

You would think that when a SKODA dealer is selling a second hand car, that a body inspection would be done.

I'm thinking if the paint on the outside of the car is bubbling there is perforation. Absolutely no other explanation good paintwork would go bad if nothing has happened on the outside. Ok, full service, history perforation = car fixed by SKODA free or charge. Simple, bring the car in, courtesy car please, see you in a couple of weeks. Should be that simple, right? Watch this space, something tells me not.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm also encountering resistance from Skoda with my 2016 Citigo despite this rusting being a blatant manufacturing fault. Has anyone considered taking this up with UK's themotorombudsman.org? Or ombudsman.europa.eu... tradingstandards.uk?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello, I found this thread quite by chance after a Google search querying whether the Citigo problem with rust around the petrol cap was common.  The garage owner who sold me the car last year claims it's "common" and offered to repair it for £200.  A local car body repairer quoted me £1,800 to replace the whole wing.  I am now getting a third opinion but, as a pensioner (female) having had three Skodas from new since the Felicia, this is not an area of expertise and quite worrying.  The car is 12 years old.  The service record shows the car was registered in Aberdeen and there were no checks for rust damage.  "Buyer beware" I suppose.

• Like 1

Skoda offer a 12 year perforation warranty for corrosion. Perhaps it is still just about covered? It depends when registered I suppose. It is worth taking it to a Skoda dealer and seeing if it is covered or perhaps some financial assistance getting it repaired as it is a well known problem AND warranty has only just expired? It doesn't hurt to ask.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/02/2024 at 17:43, Citigo12 said:

Hello, I found this thread quite by chance after a Google search querying whether the Citigo problem with rust around the petrol cap was common.  The garage owner who sold me the car last year claims it's "common" and offered to repair it for £200.  A local car body repairer quoted me £1,800 to replace the whole wing.  I am now getting a third opinion but, as a pensioner (female) having had three Skodas from new since the Felicia, this is not an area of expertise and quite worrying.  The car is 12 years old.  The service record shows the car was registered in Aberdeen and there were no checks for rust damage.  "Buyer beware" I suppose.

The problem with a £200 repair would likely be that no attempt is made to deal with the underlying cause, meaning the problem would come back.

The problem is rusting from the inside out. If you were to get a torch and look up inside the wheel arch, the cause of the paint damage on the outside would likely be all too apparent.

Thank you.  A friend recommended a local repairer and he also thought it would come back.  He estimated £400 having inspected the undercarriage but suggested, given the age of the car, that I live with it.