Rust around fuel filler door

Trubrit

What reason did Skoda provide for refusing a valid claim under warranty?

It is either a valid claim under the 12 year anti-perforation warranty or it isn't.

So it's either 100% or 0%.

By offering 60% Skoda UK are trying their luck.

You shouldn't have to but you need to fight. The corrosion is from the inside out, this meets Skoda's own warranty stipulations.

• 9 months later...

Very useful thread! I've just bought a late 66 plate Citigo and because of this thread I had a good grope up around the wheelarch where the filler cap is fitted and found mud and flakey bits.

Number one job when car gets here is a damn good jetwashing, drying, derusting and undersealing with Dinitrol.

Thank you!! Would never have thought to look for this problem until it was too late.

Adding VW rear wheelarch liners does seem to be a good idea.

:thumbup:

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

This issue seems to be more common now, as you'd expect as time goes by and cars get older. As far as I can tell, the preventative measure of fitting the arch liners was only done on the VW Up! for facelift models (as a "product enhancement") and so anything else, especially an earlier car, needs to be approached with caution. Newer cars could have some remedial work and preventative measures but for older cars it may be too late.

I am wondering how willing VAG are to step up and address the issue under warranty as there seem to be very mixed experiences for owner who have raised it and if every car starts to suffer they could be taking a big hit? It appears the full fix is about £1k to implement. Given it's a 12 year warranty every car is in scope.

Finding decent cars is always tricky, this little feature adds a further complication and depending on the above makes me wonder whether to call off the search. If this issue is a question of "when" and not "if" then it's really off-putting.

If Skoda / VW Group come away with the Car has not had Annual or Biannual Inspections recorded of the bodywork, so you need to ask where in the Corrosion Warranty it says they need to be .

Years ago they did and then there were service manuals with a Panel / Body Inspection diagram after each Service page.

Then there is the Skoda Fixed Price Servicing & Maintenance Websites where it says Body & Glass inspections.  So if not done Skoda knows it is their Dealer Network not doing it.

Next hurdle is the 'holed panel' when it comes to the Corrosion Warranty. Maybe by 10 or 12 years there is no hole.

Well in the case of the Citigo the thing is get a very very strong light and stick it up behind the fuel filler area and before the car is 10 years old there might well be pin ***** holes showing light through. 

So Skoda can go think again and rethink how smart they are or the VW Group.  Vorsprung Durch Technik,  learn by your errors and own them.

Edited by e-Roottoot

How about a car which doesn't have a full dealer history? I'm guessing they can use that as a reason. If so, the possible pool of cars available which meet that criteria at >5 years old is going to be small! 

Waiting for the car to "perforate" within the 12 years is an interesting game.

This looks like being one of the first things to check on all these cars now. We had been considering earlier cars up to 2014. For our use (12k miles a year, year around in all conditions) I tend to think we'd be looking at this being a problem at some point.

I've phoned the dealership and the representative claimed that he had no knowledge of this problem. I followed up wiht and email and letter: 

"Dear Mr xxxxxxx

I purchased my Skoda Citigo xxxxxxx from you on 6th February 2016.

I recently noticed a defect next to the petrol filler cap due to rust penetrating from behind the panel. (see photos below)

You are probably aware that this defect is not uncommon with the Citigo and that Skoda has already accepted responsibility and undertaken repairs in these circumstances.

On page 3 of the Service Plan the Skoda Warranty ensures the following service: “Repair of rust perforation to the bodywork of your vehicle that occurs within twelve years from the start of the warranty. Only rust perforation of the body panels from the inside to the outside is included in the definition of rust perforation to bodywork and covered by the SKODA warranty.”

The warranty however advises that my claim must be made through a SKODA Service Partner.

As such I am seeking your assistance to process this claim and hope that the warranty repair can be carried out promptly.

I look forward to receiving your further instruction in this regard.

Yours sincerely"

I'll keep you posted on how this goes..

#Front.jpg

Back.jpg

• Like 1

The rust certainly does not start on the outside / exterior of car, it does start from the exterior of panels that owners will not see.

(Common, as is the Fabia Mk2 rear reg plate light area corrosion.)

They know very well about the moisture / rust trap at VW, Skoda & SEAT and the dealerships that have Kerbside Autos / Paint Man in a Van Joey up the Trade Cars before sale know about it.

As much as they can be in denial about the issue it is not difficult to do a little research of owners and previous owners that have had the issue.

Skoda UK are best dealing with the issue when the perforation are tiny rather than when there is less metal to have treated and filled and prepped and painted.

A TPI should have been issued years ago that attention should be paid to the area when the Body Inspections are carried out during Main Dealer Servicing.

Edited by e-Roottoot

• 3 months later...

Same problem, Skoda rejected claim as no two year body inspection by supplier. No notification. This should be sorted by the warranty. VW, Skoda know that this is a known issue. As usual they are trying to avoid commitment. Skoda promised support and warranty, failed to fulfil commitment.

From the start of the thread 3 years ago are the posts re the T&C's of the Warranty.

Ask for the T&C's showing the need for a Body Condition Inspection to be carried out every 2 years.

Ask to see where the Technicians Work Sheet at a dealership shows that they have to carry out a body inspection so that the car keeps a valid Corrosion warranty. 

No place in the Warranty T&C's that an owner gets if they do get them does it say that there is a need to Annual or Bi-Annual Inspection carried out at a Dealership / Approved Repairer.

There was when there were Owners Service Manuals a page after the Service Page for the Body Report.

The Service & Maintenance Menu for fixed price Services says there is a Body & Glass Inspection so if a car gets serviced at Main Dealeeships and the Check of the Body is not done Skoda UK know who are not doing them.

As Skoda UK for the evidence that the Warranty requires a Bi-Annual inspection to keep the corrosion warranty valid. 

Screenshot 2021-11-27 06.56.07.png

Screenshot 2021-11-27 06.57.25.png

Screenshot 2021-11-27 07.06.13.png

Edited by roottoot

• 7 months later...

Wife and I each have a CitiGo, 8.5 years and 7 years old. No signs on the outside of the car fuel filler of rust. I have cleaned the under side of the filler of road dirt etc, less on the older car, but not a lot on either. Jet washed and dried. This summer I hope to treat the area and spray with Dinitrol.

• 3 weeks later...

The best thing (once cleaned or repaired) is to fit the wheel arch liners that came on later models as standard. Plenty of information on the Up! owner's forum, for part numbers, fitting guides etc.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Anyone know if a CitiGo registration Jan 2014 has the fixing points (albeit hidden) for fixing wheel arch linings?
Likewise a CitiGo registration June 2015?

Also can someone confirm the numbers for the rear wheel arch liner spacer where lower part of the front of the liner fixes to the body. I gave following numbers to Autodoc but they have queried them

ISO 810 987 9b9

ISO 810 988 9b9

Look here:-

And here:-

Some part numbers have been superceded.

For my 2018 Citigo:-

1S08109879B9      Adaptor lower rear left.        The adaptors don't appear on the TPS diagram but is listed.

1S08109889B9      Adaptor lower rear right.      The adaptors don't appear on the TPS diagram but is listed.

Thanks AG Falco

• 4 weeks later...

My Wife just noticed her Citigo is bubbling. I will report on how helpful (or otherwise) D M Keith are in resolving this. 

Serviced at a local Wakefield garage called Spencer & Broadhead once out of used car warranty.

BCB29411-BDC5-4982-8CB8-6A2CDECEC8A9.jpeg

6B0E45F7-68D9-44C1-A905-F839B2A8BA28.jpeg

• Like 1

@delicolor

That has been there for quite a while and each time the car was fueled or washed.

What age is this car and was that not there at the last service so not remarked on at that service when the Body Inspection was done while in the 3 years manufacturers warranty.

Not that the warranty does require Annual or Bi-annual or even periodic inspections even though Skoda UK might say they do.

But then the Skoda Main Dealer Servicing says that Body Inspections are part of a service. 

http://theguardian.com/money/2022/jul/13/why-didnt-skoda-make-its-fabia-warranty-terms-clear

1039190636_Screenshot2021-09-29at07_53_36.jpg.994d2b104123865330d493df0f73629e (1).jpg

1025295341_Screenshot2021-09-29at07_53_17.jpg.f3e4a6dc63cb89105f9b1ac440bb1614.jpg

Edited by roottoot

I talked to the bodyshop manager, he says Skoda are being totally intransigent on this using the two year inspection excuse (which isn’t in any of my paperwork, just the reporting as soon as it is discovered) and he has seen three others brought in to him with the same issue in the last four months. He also said it would have been the same even if we had used them for servicing instead of an independent local garage business.

Apparently the Yeti had a similar issue.

Skoda UK can expect a lot of bad press and lost sales on this if they don’t relent- however they have sod-all product to sell anyway so not a lot to lose…

Odd that the Bodyshop Manager should mention the Yeti.   Different matter as in Zinc Inclusion.   

Maybe he manages though and is not a Panel Beater / Painter or qualified in such things. 

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/341311-rust-spots-on-lower-door/page/7  Not a pretty picture.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/421511-new-to-me-skoda-yeti-adventure-but-rust

Plenty Zinc Inclusion threads on Briskoda in the Yeti section.

They start in 2015 and continue.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/478746-zinc-inclusions-and-paint-wear

Edited by roottoot

• 10 months later...

Hi. I'm about to purchase a 2016 Citigo Black Edition and have left a £200 deposit but I am now concerned about the issue with rust bubbling around the fuel filler cap. Photos attached showing the bubbling. Should I avoid and lose my deposit or is it still worth buying? Any ideas on how much it would cost at a body shop to repair?

Citigo1.jpg

citigo2.jpg

Tough call - it'll be expensive to fix properly and will only get worse if you don't....

Point out the problem to the garage selling the car and see if they can do the repair, to get the sale.

As mentioned many times, cars without the plastic wheel arch liners (fitted later) are prone to this problem 😞

Edited by freemansteve

Thanks Freemansteve. 

I did point it out. They just said its a common problem but no offer to fix it and claim that shows no sign of rot from underneath. Any ideas on costs?

Not sure of costs, but it will be expensive if you cannot do the work yourself - it involves either cutting out a section & welding in new sheet metal, or doing a new 1/4 panel, plus respray.

The problem is that the rust comes through from the inside of the wheel arch.

You may be able to argue with Skoda UK about the perforation warranty, but they will tell you all about wanting to see regular (documented) inspections with a dealer, and then suggest that bubbling is not actual perforation, blah blah blah, in their usual war of attrition (they are there to protect the dealer network from owners, after all!).

There's more on this on the Up! Owners Club website if you craft some searches.

It all depends on how long you want to keep the car before buying another. I suggest if it's more than a year or two, the rust may well get so bad, it'll be hard to sell on after that time. If it's a stop-gap at the right price, go ahead.