Roomster Front sidelight LED upgrade (Philips LED 4000k)

Hi All,

Been too long since I have posted here. Should do it more often since I have found so much useful post here.

My roomster is now out of 3 years manufacturer's warranty and is running as it should (I GUESS).

However the headlight H7 bulbs are starting to fail and I have replaced both of them with the Osram Cool Blue Intense (4200k). Road legal and makes the light a bit whiter from the projector lamp and also looks nicer.

However I had a look at my front side light which are the blue bulbs w5w (originially fitted i think) and they are still very yellowish when turned on. 

Today I put in the Philips t10 - w5w LED (4000k) (photos attached for comparison of the older ones. They are much whiter, but doesn't look blue at all (i have chosen the warm white ones which are 4000k). I think road legal needs it to be 4200k or below?

I want to see whether these led are OK to use on the road at all? They are not bright enough to blind anyone oncoming, but they are whiter than the originals. 

Pictures should be helpful (sorry "potato phone camera" so the pics are not very clear, but don't have the money to buy a new phone)

Any advise or recommendations will be appreciated.

IMG_20181008_132142.jpg

IMG_20181008_132647.jpg

14 minutes ago, roomster15 said:

Today I put in the Philips t10 - w5w LED (4000k) (photos attached for comparison of the older ones. They are much whiter, but doesn't look blue at all (i have chosen the warm white ones which are 4000k). I think road legal needs it to be 4200k or below?

I want to see whether these led are OK to use on the road at all? They are not bright enough to blind anyone oncoming, but they are whiter than the originals. 

It's nothing to do with colour temperature.

If the headlight got type approval with halogen T10/W5W then there are currently no road legal LED retrofit options. Still, I doubt you'd have any issues with those fitted.

44 minutes ago, langers2k said:

It's nothing to do with colour temperature.

If the headlight got type approval with halogen T10/W5W then there are currently no road legal LED retrofit options. Still, I doubt you'd have any issues with those fitted.

Thanks for letting me know, been googling alot about this. So to play it safe, I guess old ones (yellow halogen) needs to go back in.

Funny enough, LED is pretty much taking over all other bulb types for efficency and we in the UK is still quite behind on this.

Hi Roomster15,

I've got LED front sidelights and rear number-plate bulbs in, also HID headlamps bulbs replacements kit fitted, transforms the headlights, I use the sidelights all year in lieu of Daytime Running Lights, passed at least 3yrs MOT tests no bother, bear in mind one SHOULD have headlight washers fitted to be legal with these headlights, which my car lacks, but as long as you keep the lenses clean and watch your headlights aim if carrying a heavy load, and are ready to dip smartish when spotting oncoming vehicle headlights, then I've found them all a good investment, makes the car safer to drive in the dark/poor daytime illumination.

You can get one short flash if required, but bear in mind that switching the headlights on proper will take c 5 seconds for them to reach full light output.

HTH.