Towbar 101 - fitting help please.

Scribbler

Would really like some suggestions on a towbar or trailer hitch for my Mkii Octavia Vrs. 

I already have VCDS so coding shouldn't be an issue. I have already done some searching

but its hard to find all the information in one place.  This will primarily be for attaching

a Whitter Bike rack that attaches to tow bar. I already have this bike rack.

So if anyone has done this mod i.e. fitted a towbar and coded it using vcds then i could really

do with your help. I would like the following info please.

- What's best value towbar ? link if possible

- pictures of fitting

- Do i need any additional connectors, harnesses modules etc.

- Steps in VCDS.

If this is covered elsewhere then please direct me to the pages rather than reinventing the 

wheel i just can't find them.

Hi,

I fitted a Westfalia detachable swan neck to my Oct 2 Scout a few years back - I had never done anything like this before but didn't fancy paying someone to do it.  I sourced the towbar from PF Jones on line and chose the Westfalia as it had the highest nose weight (thinking of resale value down the line), when removed you couldn't see any of the fixings poking out under the bumper and of course the VAG heritage :D

https://www.pfjones.co.uk/skoda-octavia-scout-2007-2013-westfalia-detachable-towbar.html

I opted for dedicated electrics at about £160 which means you get a loom that needs wiring direct to fuse box of the car (universal electrics are about £50 and means splicing into various wires in the boot and relays which I didn't want to do).  I also went for 13 pin electrics.

So, rear lights out first, then rear bumper off which I managed by jacking car to get to the torx screws (didn't need to remove wheels) and from memory there's a nut in the bottom of the rear quarter that also holds bumper on.  Make a note of which parking sensor goes where if you remove them!  With bumper off it's time to remove crash beam - on the pass side I had to drop the rear exhaust hanger and remove heat shield that hid 2 of the bolts, driverside is easier.  Then the beam come off and fit the new one, no drilling required, it all lined up.  I torqued the rear bolts for the beam but if you don't have one then I suggest you do them 'F.T.'  I seem to think that there was some bare metal visible on car once fitted so I touched it in with an old paint stick

Once reassembled, I mounted the control box in passenger side rear quarter and then ran electrics across the rear of back seat to driverside, down through the sill trims to driver side footwell.  Following the instructions I unpicked various wires from fuse box, these wires then went into the Westfalia loom and the wires on the loom into the fuse box.  Once done I coded with VCDS.

If you go dedicated electrics get one of the fuse box wire removal kits from somewhere like this - it will be your friend

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078Z8YRVX/ref=asc_df_B078Z8YRVX56208052/?tag=googshopuk-21&creative=22146&creativeASIN=B078Z8YRVX&linkCode=df0&hvadid=256480317839&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17824480999787577435&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007266&hvtargid=pla-441374264280

VCDS info came with the fitting instructions including the bit on how to show the trailer when you select reverse when connected.  Only fitting pick I can find is this - hope this is of some use and happy to answer questions if I can.

IMG_1480.JPG

Edited by ScoutCJB
  • Like 1