Help! Wet footwell/no lights

Hi All,

Just clocked 1st problems with my Superb. Front interior lights and boot light don't illuminate any more when door open or lights manually turned on. Cat eye light's OK but interior map reading lights don't work either. Not checked fuses yet.

Also, the passenger rear footwell has a pint or two of rain water in it!

Anyone suggest if the two might be related, and what the likely cause of the leak is? Blocked drainage?

Any help much appreciated.

Ric

The two are deffo related.

The cause of the lights failing will be the water. Under the carpet on the passenger side rear there is a 'node' joint on the supply side of the wiring to the lights. IIRC the wiring for the rear lights inside is on a different circuit so these still work. The node joint is basically a collection of wires with a crimp around them thats heat shrunk. It gets water logged and comes apart, it will need repairing.

Now the cause of the water leak. I would think its the pollen filter housing that is leaking. Leaves etc build up around it and block the drain holes, the water that doesnt drain away comes in around the housin and into the car. Either that or the a/c drain is blocked and its running into the car.

Hope this helps.

right: had a look through forum and seems the consensus is water has upset the lights - dealer job to fix? still under warranty so i guess it is.

had a look at the scuttle at base of windscreen - how do you get at the pollen filter? i've a small hatch to get at the battery and that's it - where's the pollen filter on the superb?

cheers guys, am calming down a bit now

have had a look at base of door drainage holes and cleaned them up a bit - they looked OK though.

lummox, you're a star. reckon warranty covers this kind of thing?

To get to the pollen filter, take off the rubber that is across the width of the car near where the bonnet hinges are. then remove the whole tray by pulling it toward you.

Then the pollen filter, brake reservior, battery and EMS box are.

had a chat with nice bloke at skoda bury - it's going in. he's preordered new carpet kit and will see if the convenience unit that powers lights etc needs a replacement, too. had a look at pollen filter and think it's a build up of a tiny bit of cack in the surround that's stopped water draining away properly. cleaned it all out so hopefully won't get any worse.

glad the warranty still covers it, very common fault apparently....will take them a few days to sort next week by the sounds of it.

To get to the pollen filter' date=' take off the rubber that is across the width of the car near where the bonnet hinges are. then remove the whole tray by pulling it toward you.

Then the pollen filter, brake reservior, battery and EMS box are.[/quote']

Needed to know that aswell, I was thinking how do I get to change my pollen filter!!

had a chat with nice bloke at skoda bury - it's going in. he's preordered new carpet kit and will see if the convenience unit that powers lights etc needs a replacement' date=' too. had a look at pollen filter and think it's a build up of a tiny bit of cack in the surround that's stopped water draining away properly. cleaned it all out so hopefully won't get any worse.

glad the warranty still covers it, very common fault apparently....will take them a few days to sort next week by the sounds of it.[/quote']

I always find the Skoda dealers so helpful, much better than the VW dealers I used to have to chat to, just like talking to a brick wall, glad it's getting sorted mate, I will have to watch out for this on mine.

it's a 2 min job to change the filter, pull off the rubber strip that edges the plastic panel that covers battery etc, and slide panel out - pollen filter on RHS in plain view. mechanic reckoned they all do it at some point, same as passats - have a look at the little gap between pollen filter tray and the wing - water is meant to run down here to drain out via engine bay i think. on mine crud had filled up this little channel (it's only about 5mm wide) and so presumably under heavy rain water was flowing over and going in gap between bottom of tray and metal of engine bay - it's not sealed very well...

it's a 2 min job to change the filter, pull off the rubber strip that edges the plastic panel that covers battery etc, and slide panel out - pollen filter on RHS in plain view. mechanic reckoned they all do it at some point, same as passats - have a look at the little gap between pollen filter tray and the wing - water is meant to run down here to drain out via engine bay i think. on mine crud had filled up this little channel (it's only about 5mm wide) and so presumably under heavy rain water was flowing over and going in gap between bottom of tray and metal of engine bay - it's not sealed very well...

That's a big help mate, I have a service next week so I will get them to check it out while they change the filter.

• 5 months later...
The two are deffo related.

The cause of the lights failing will be the water. Under the carpet on the passenger side rear there is a 'node' joint on the supply side of the wiring to the lights. IIRC the wiring for the rear lights inside is on a different circuit so these still work. The node joint is basically a collection of wires with a crimp around them thats heat shrunk. It gets water logged and comes apart' date=' it will need repairing.

Now the cause of the water leak. I would think its the pollen filter housing that is leaking. Leaves etc build up around it and block the drain holes, the water that doesnt drain away comes in around the housin and into the car. Either that or the a/c drain is blocked and its running into the car.

Hope this helps.[/quote']

Hi, Lummox, where would one find the AC drain.

Hi All' date='

Just clocked 1st problems with my Superb. Front interior lights and boot light don't illuminate any more when door open or lights manually turned on. Cat eye light's OK but interior map reading lights don't work either. Not checked fuses yet.

Also, the passenger rear footwell has a pint or two of rain water in it!

Anyone suggest if the two might be related, and what the likely cause of the leak is? Blocked drainage?

Any help much appreciated.

Ric[/quote']

Hi Mate, see my postings on the boarding lights thread, you might find them interesting reading, especially the cost and payment! bryanp