Oil spec for Octavia III 1.5ACT petrol engine

Q code is on the PR codes sticker, usually in or near the spare wheel well. You need to lift the boot carpet to see it. In the very distant past I've also seen it stuck inside the rear wing in one of the boot side cubby holes.

502 is not used as factory fill. It is history. 504 or 508 is the norm.

Fill your car with 504.00 and you can't go wrong as its universally compatible with all current production cars.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, xman said:

502 is not used as factory fill. It is history. 504 or 508 is the norm.

Fill your car with 504.00 and you can't go wrong as its universally compatible with all current production cars.

502 00 has been ( & will continue to be)  factory fill for fixed service petrol cars with QI1, 2, 3, 4, 7 fixed service.....however in UK VAG HQ UK has been specifying all cars as flexible (QI6) for years

The only reason I point this out is we are a worldwide forum....& other countries spec fixed service from factory...so 502 00 will be factory fill...

Also as 508 00 flexible supersedes 504 00 then all cars of 2018 build & the newer engines from just before it should adhere to the newer spec...so 508 00...if on a flexible….

Although they are giving 508 00/ 504 00 as ok for petrol flexible 2018 its just because of the change over & the oil stocks on the shelf....

get the newest spec stuff to be 100% due to your build date...

Edited by fabdavrav
  • Confused 1

I beg to differ.

Engines are built weeks to months before final assembly into a car and ordered by the brands well before they know where the cars are destined for.

Its simply not feasible to use different oil fills on an engine production line.  Then have to tag and track individual engines across several other VAG brand factory sites all over Europe where the assembly lines are and then tag it to a particular car build, which can and does change during build due to say distributors cancelling or changing spec.

I'm pretty sure the assembly line scans a production ticket and if it says CZEA engine, the automated picker fetches the next CZEA engine off the stack on the parts shelf. And doesn't need to seek out the one with the correct oil among the hundreds in store.

And no chance of shipping the wrong oil fill engine for a variable service stamped car.

Nothing to stop Skoda putting ANY Q code on the car if it has 504/507 oil, its universal and one of the reasons 504/507 was introduced, to eliminate the need to stock and manage several different oils.

Complicated = extra expense

Edited by xman
  • Like 2

The 'years' ago that some UK VW engine vehicles changed to Q16 was 2012 (6 years ago) after Euro 5 engines had been getting sold in the UK for a couple of years.

The UP!MiiCitigo coming from the VW Plant in Slovakia are still not Variable Servicing engines if not a TSI.

Year after year the oil question gets asked and duff gen gets given, sometime the right information, 50 /50 chance right or wrong, 

but ask Skoda UK and likely more than not just wrong.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/199549-14-tsi-vrs-which-bloomin-oil

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, xman said:

I beg to differ.

Engines are built weeks to months before final assembly into a car and ordered by the brands well before they know where the cars are destined for.

Its simply not feasible to use different oil fills on an engine production line.  Then have to tag and track individual engines across several other VAG brand factory sites all over Europe where the assembly lines are and then tag it to a particular car build, which can and does change during build due to say distributors cancelling or changing spec.

I'm pretty sure the assembly line scans a production ticket and if it says CZEA engine, the automated picker fetches the next CZEA engine off the stack on the parts shelf. And doesn't need to seek out the one with the correct oil among the hundreds in store.

And no chance of shipping the wrong oil fill engine for a variable service stamped car.

Nothing to stop Skoda putting ANY Q code on the car if it has 504/507 oil, its universal and one of the reasons 504/507 was introduced, to eliminate the need to stock and manage several different oils.

Complicated = extra expense

putted different oil in extra expense??….Christ don't go looking at the difference in the specs between all the European countries & all those cars come from the same factory...& lets not talk about the VW cars that are build in Germany but go to overseas places like USA etc....putting a different spec oil in is nothing....& the manual gearboxes have different oils still depending on if it is classed as "high performance"...

There are numerous countries which are still on fixed servicing for petrol engines as VAG put them on this regime...so 502 00 oil from factory.....

diesel fixed & variable has been the same spec oil for some years now (507 00)....& petrol flexible has been to 504 00.. two different specs......if an oil company can make one oil to meet both specs fine, but its still two different specs.

Also just because an oil meets one does not automatically mean it meets the other...conversely just because one oil which meets the specs & is a specific "W" grade does not mean that a different oil brand of the same "W" will meet the VW spec!...

as far as the stock on the shelfs go the change or usage is in the service manuals...ie the garages..where they have stock on the shelves etc….& the written info is there to point out if they have the "oil" spec they can use it, but if not & ordering new its to the new spec..

be aware that these are the worldwide manuals..there is none for each country....language yes but that's just a translated version on the main one...so the stocking levels etc in every country will be different...like the service code from the factory ...so the books/info have to cover a multitude of combinations, possibilities....

Edited by fabdavrav
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

What is your point?

There are even members here from Australia with VW 504 / 507 or VW 502 in their engines, by choice, Qatar members as well.Argentinian.

Plenty members here from China, Australia, New Zealand, Qatar, India, Taiwan, Russia, Easter, Central Southern Europe, Northern Europe, Canada, North and Sith America so basically around the globe.

If anyone needs to ask about differences by world regions Briskoda has it covered with members.

Edited by Offski

9 minutes ago, Offski said:

What is your point?

There are even members here from Australia with VW 504 / 507 or VW 502 in their engines, by choice, Qatar members as well.Argentinian.

Plenty members here from China, Australia, New Zealand, Qatar, India, Taiwan, Russia, Easter, Central Southern Europe, Northern Europe, Canada, North and Sith America so basically around the globe.

If anyone needs to ask about differences by world regions Briskoda has it covered with members.

Xman was implying that the factory only fills with 504/507 & nothing else...

2 hours ago, xman said:

Its simply not feasible to use different oil fills on an engine production line.

when this is incorrect...

I do not think he implied that, i think that European Spec vehicles for the European Market have Long Life oil from the factory.

India, China, South America, North Amrican , south Aftican plants can be using what ever for whatever market, but most since Euro 4, 5 & 6 are usinf Long Life even for Fixed Interval Markets.

1 hour ago, Offski said:

I do not think he implied that, i think that European Spec vehicles for the European Market have Long Life oil from the factory.

India, China, South America, North Amrican , south Aftican plants can be using what ever for whatever market, but most since Euro 4, 5 & 6 are usinf Long Life even for Fixed Interval Markets.

yes but the European factories also make for other non European markets...

just a very small point..MK7 Golf R for north America is made in Germany…& Canada is on a QI4 fixed service interval….so that's a german built car with a fixed service down the same production line as flexi service cars..there are many other examples in the VAG group like this...

Edited by fabdavrav
spelling
  • Confused 1

Yes Australia & New Zealand and China and India. 

It is only oil, life blood of the engine,

they use the right oil,  only the owners get confused and Dealership Employees and HQ Staff.  

German Manufacturers Engines have the greatest failure rate of modern engines out of warranty.

But then they are up among the biggest manufacturers.

But Toyota that sometimes is No.1 have not anything like as high the premature failure rates.

1 hour ago, Offski said:

It is only oil, life blood of the engine,

they use the right oil,  only the owners get confused and Dealership Employees and HQ Staff.  

The official VAG books are not too bad..just can be difficult to understand due to the way they cross-reference info within the books....& if you do not fully understand the logic behind this then people do not know how to correctly read & understand the info in the books....that's when mistakes get made.

I re-wrote the whole servicing for all MK7 Golfs for all worldwide variants, petrol/diesel to EN or not to EN fuels & hot or dusty or normal climates....etc & posted on the MK7 Golf forums....because many people did not know how to correctly interpret the VAG service books, & getting conflicting infomation...yes it was hard doing it but once you get your head around the logic & why VAG write the way they do it all makes sense...

WTF.

Do you not see the typos, and the errors in quantities in some owners manuals.  

The reason people get confused is because they are not genned up like you, then when they ask someone they think are working in the industry with the VW Group they get told nonsense.

Look in the Kodiak section today, someone posts what a Dealership employee tells them and was convinced it must be right, they work in a Skoda Dealership.   How could they not be right!

Edited by Offski

5 minutes ago, Offski said:

WTF.

Do you not see the typos, and the errors in quantities in some owners manuals.  

The reason people get confused is because they are not genned up like you, then when they ask someone they think are working in the industry with the VW Group they get told nonsense.

Look in the Kodiak section today, someone posts what a Dealership employee tells them and was convinced it must be right, they work in a Skoda Dealership.   How could they not be right!

Easy most of the techs no not bother reading the service manuals properly or the self study guides.....

Just for clarity the service books are done by the tech side....everything else is mainly done by other none technical depts.....so marketing etc creeps in...

Classic example which has caused mases of web fights is that the VAQ or electronic diff lock on the MK7 Golf GTI PP is referred to as either the two I have just made in all the tech documents, servicing, by the makers, etc.....

Come to the sales & web & done by advertising & they call it an LSD.....which it is not....thus masses of people throwing tantrums when you tell them that an LSD is a technical term which has been around for decades & means something entirely different to what they have.....I ended up doing a whole write up on exactly how the VAQ unit operates & how it works & why & its good & bad points...& explaining why its not an LSD....

The info is there just marketing etc get it & dumb down & do their usual BS on it...& those that have access to the correct info..well lets just say most can't be bothered to read it properly...some can but they are few & far between.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Offski said:

Techs or Fitters have nothing to do with it, they are in the workshop, working on cars ,

it starts at reception, passed a salesperson than to the Service Reception Desk or Parts Counter.

All full time workers.

Salesmen only read the sales brochure that's it....& know very little else

the receptionist,..service or otherwise just know how to fill the paperwork out & push the computer buttons...

the only people who know anything technical about the cars are the techs, maybe the warranty dept. & the head parts bloke....

& that's based on 24yrs of using various garages...

If any of the non tech people have to find out anything tech they go into the service bays & ask a tech....& if they don't know they look at the service book from VAG....& most don't even know about the self study guides as they can't be bothered to actually read further than what they think they need to know...

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Offski said:

Sometime you should try working in one and not just being a customer.

I don't see how that would make any difference to my observations???

Edited by fabdavrav
edited...in not on one..different context..
  • Haha 1

In Australia all our Skoda come from Europe. Our cars get built in batches and they don't/won't get the gpf version engines put in for the foreseeable future.

VW vehicles are supplied variously from Europe, South Africa, Mexico, Argentina etc.

Some high output engine versions are de-rated for our hot conditions and variable servicing is not an option on any.

While I understand Xman's view I think fabravdav is probably right.

Edited by Gerrycan

10 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

In Australia all our Skoda come from Europe. Our cars get built in batches and they don't/won't get the gpf version engines put in for the foreseeable future.

VW vehicles are supplied variously from Europe, South Africa, Mexico, Argentina etc.

Some high output engine versions are de-rated for our hot conditions and variable servicing is not an option on any.

While I understand Xman's view I think fabravdav is probably right.

Australia is on the QI4 fixed service .....I know this as I have a worldwide map with all the countries marked with their from factory servicing QI number...This is part of a self study book that I paid for from ERWIN.

From the service books Australia is also classed as:-

"a country with a hot climate"

"a country with petrol not compliant with EN228"

"country with high levels of dust"..

& you have shortened intervals for spark plug replacement to 30,000km/2yrs.

Like I have said before the self study stuff from VAG contains masses of info....& info which is not in the service books.....

Every factory has masses of options & most factories make for numerous countries...fitting a different grade of oil is the least complex option.....& with all the computer tagged info its easy to do.....why do they think where are masses of "PR" codes??...

The build sheet for any VAG car will run to approx. four side of A4 all with PR codes which all mean something & have done for years....in fact the PDF I have of all PR codes runs to 235pages...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, fabdavrav said:

Australia is on the QI4 fixed service .....I know this as I have a worldwide map with all the countries marked with their from factory servicing QI number...This is part of a self study book that I paid for from ERWIN.

From the service books Australia is also classed as:-

"a country with a hot climate"

"a country with petrol not compliant with EN228"

"country with high levels of dust"..

& you have shortened intervals for spark plug replacement to 30,000km/2yrs.

The first three classifications are correct (even allowing for the climatic variations that occur in a landmass nearly the size of Europe) but the 2/30 km year spark plug replacement is definitely not applied here. My spark plugs are still firing ok after 47k km.

Filter replacement is dependant on inspection, a sensible approach.

12 minutes ago, Gerrycan said:

The first three classifications are correct (even allowing for the climatic variations that occur in a landmass nearly the size of Europe) but the 2/30 km year spark plug replacement is definitely not applied here. My spark plugs are still firing ok after 47k km.

Filter replacement is dependant on inspection, a sensible approach.

I quoted direct from the Maintenance book..& yes its for the MK7 Golf....However the tables apply to all VAG cars if that service item is on them....whether the dealer does it or not is another matter...

JPEG of the relevant section:-

spark plug intervals.jpg

Edited by fabdavrav

Interesting.

Our fuel certainly has higher sulpher levels with the 95/98 octane max at 40ppm (en228 is 10ppm) but other than that it is not too bad. I wouldn't expect it to near halve the life of a decent set of plugs.

Our 91 octane is a different matter since that minimum is 150ppm but no self respecting vw group vehicle owner would touch it.

Coming back to the oil topic, the local dealers and independents must be complying with recommendations since I have never even had to top up between services over the last 10 years of Octavia ownership.

2 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

Interesting.

Our fuel certainly has higher sulpher levels with the 95/98 octane max at 40ppm (en228 is 10ppm) but other than that it is not too bad. I wouldn't expect it to near halve the life of a decent set of plugs.

Our 91 octane is a different matter since that minimum is 150ppm but no self respecting vw group vehicle owner would touch it.

You answered your own question.....your lowest spec of fuel available to anybody has high sulphur content...so VAG adjust the service intervals for that.....they cannot be 100% that the cars owners are not going to be "but no self respecting vw group vehicle owner would touch it.".....