Pimp my ride UK

Good Evening fellow Octavians ;)

just jokes with the formal greeting,

wagwarn lads!!(and ladies)

okay at so I have a Mk2 pre face lift 07 1.6 Octavia FSI and yes it is my first car, it has done over 160k due to being an ex taxi... It looks practically tired.

now, as a kid who's grown up playing Need for Speed, watching Tokyo Drift And Brian with his skyline etc... I've always wanted to have a nice car ofc!!(who. Doesn't?)

now ow it's a Skoda, not a head turner for sure, not by miles but more so for myself she looks like she needs a makeover.

I am new to owning a car let alone knowing about car BodyKit changes/modification and would like anyone out there, who has either physically modified their skoda or has the know how on how to approach such a wallet draining, monumentous task to help me out here.

so basically I'm looking to have it fitted with new front/back bumpers, maybe some alloy tyres, a spoiler (maybe), and then the bonnet and all that stuff.

Apologies if this forum isn't the right place to ask this; then could somebody direct me to the right place?

any help would be very much appreciated.

(before anyone goes into "just get a new car", I would if I wanted to but I want to see this through... Something to put on my CV innit as 'name a recent accomplishment' lol)

Thank you

Nomy

Hi mate,

you our can get plenty of fairly easy to fit bits and bobs from ebay/various body mod websites. 

Ive got a maxton design front splitter (https://www.maxtondesign.co.uk/body-kits/skoda/skoda-octavia) they have lots on there.

most would be unpainted so you would need to get them sprayed and fitted by a body shop or someone competent with some paint

as a vw group car the alloy wheel fitment is very common so you would have a lot of choice on those too

all the best 

Rory

• Thanks 1

Probably cheaper just getting some used Vrs front and rear bumpers, rear spoiler from the scrap yard as they will bolt straight on but be careful you go for a pre- fl vrs as the front wings are different or if you are brave can do a face lift conversion by getting the wings and grill as well.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the info guys. Much appreciated just a question... So buying these parts, I would have to get them specifically for MK2 right? I can't get an Mk3 or the likes and have it fitted on/convert the car's style etc?

If you want them to fit relatively easily then you would want the right model.

but as wiilydog said you would want pre facelift mk2 items, most sites would list the vehicles the bits are suitable for, or failing that pop a post on here I’m sure somebody has at least one of every Skoda item you can buy so would know more than me

Edited by Rorytavia
Extra bit

I would look at breakers / ebay or even a donor vehicle for bits. As its your first vehicle maybe just start with either aftermarket body kit or parts from a higher spec or better looking version of your model ie VRS bits.

You can fit anything but it does cost, then engineering comes into it needing somewhere to do the work along with all the equipment.

As its done 160K I would look at the engine, brakes, suspension ect checking that everything is in tip top condition before spending money on cosmetics. No point it looking good if it does not behave well on the road.

On 30 October 2018 at 16:33, HarleQuinn said:

Mine is a facelift but you get the idea!

20181015_014928-01.jpeg

20180930_183129.jpg

20180909_184712.jpg

So urs is a facelift but did u get the parts added on or its come as is?

also, eBay brokers and the likes, anyone recommend any?

my local scrap yard has a few parts but they are thr same as default stock mk2 Skoda. Nowt special.

something along the lines of Harelquins front bumper is the kind of upgrade I'm after I suppose. 

@Busamad

ah yeh the 160k was checked out the moment I got the car. Brakes I've changed, calipers are relatively new, discs I've had changed just 2 weeks ago.

Engine oil has been changed too. The car initially failed MOT as suspensions were gone but they too have been changed.

so in terms of performance it's in A-okay condition. Looks wise it looks old and dry and absolutely paggered as it was an ex-taxi after all.

its like a 40 year old looking like a 70 year old kinda thing.

3 hours ago, MhdNomy said:

So urs is a facelift but did u get the parts added on or its come as is?

also, eBay brokers and the likes, anyone recommend any?

my local scrap yard has a few parts but they are thr same as default stock mk2 Skoda. Nowt special.

something along the lines of Harelquins front bumper is the kind of upgrade I'm after I suppose. 

Completely standard when I bought it!

242667897_Carbeforeandafter1.thumb.png.9c54d511b2e3dcd16ae41a3fc9764f9f.png1638591836_Carbeforeandafterrear1.thumb.png.3dbab813edb25754592f75eb1eccc2ea.png759468908_Carbeforeandafterside1.thumb.png.caeaa578d14bea262fbf11267c4eb166.png

20181007_131156.jpg.063c7c33a322b399bcc8e09a9668ccd0.jpg

Various sites sell the parts, Superskoda, Maxton designs, milotec etc :)

• Like 2

Hi Nomy,

Welcome to the Skoda gang.

I come from the opposite school of thought. I like my car to look standard but have maybe a bit extra. The thing about having a head-turner car is that it doesn't just turn the heads of people who go "Nice car, mate!" It also turns the heads of the Police, increasing the chance you will get pulled over and forming an opinion in the officers' heads of the kind of person you are before they even get to your window. A clean, well-looked after car forms a very different impression than one with showy bodywork kits, a larey spoiler, fat exhaust and tinted windows with "Hoonigan"/"Max Power Racing" window graphics and cartoons of stick men having sex. (Yes, there is a car in my town that has all those things.) The more sensible you look, the greater the chance they will let a mistake slide or give you a talking to rather than points.

You will also need to tell your insurance company about any changes you make, even if they don't affect the performance of the car. They will want to know you spent a grand on bodywork mods and another on alloys as, should your car be damaged or stolen, they're going to have to pay to replace all that stuff. It may increase the cost of your insurance a bit. From their point of view, a cool looking car may be more attractive to thieves. You may want to think carefully about what you do to your car as a number of insurance companies limit the number of modifications you are allowed. I think mine allow 3 mods only. Be honest with your insurance company. If you suffer a loss and they find stuff you haven't told them then they may be tempted to use it to try to say your insurance is invalid because the car isn't as described so they don't have to pay you. The insurance mark up may not be that bad. I think my friend pays £60 extra for his sports exhaust and a couple of other small things. You can always call them in advance and say "I'm thinking of getting X done to my car. How much would that increase the cost of my insurance please?"

If you're looking for mods that aren't too unsubtle, you could check scrap yards for a vRS the same generation and colour as your car. The vRS spoiler is nice looking. vRS seats are good. Please be careful and understand what you're doing if you decide to transplant the steering wheel as they contain an airbag that can cause injury if you accidentally set them off. There should be a second hand vRS wheels around as a reasonable number of people change them for aftermarket ones. If you want to make a "fake vRS", SkodaParts should be able to sell you the grille and rear badges. Please don't let anyone tell you that putting on stretch tyres and heavily lowering your car so it's "A"-shaped improves the stance. It will mess up the handling badly at the time you most need the car to keep it together. The vRS is 50mm lowered from the factory. If lowering it more would have made it better, they would have done it. If you get alloys, I advise you to get locking wheel nuts so you don't come out one morning and find your car on bricks.

Good luck. I hope you enjoy your car.

Paul

4 hours ago, Rorytavia said:

Hi harlequinn,

if you don’t mind me asking where did you get the engine cover/battery/fuse box covers from?

they look spot on

cheers

Rory 

Hi buddy, they are custom sprayed/painted by myself. I have never been able to find anything purchasable with regards to the engine bay covers :(

1 hour ago, Papfox said:

Hi Nomy,

Welcome to the Skoda gang.

I come from the opposite school of thought. I like my car to look standard but have maybe a bit extra. The thing about having a head-turner car is that it doesn't just turn the heads of people who go "Nice car, mate!" It also turns the heads of the Police, increasing the chance you will get pulled over and forming an opinion in the officers' heads of the kind of person you are before they even get to your window. A clean, well-looked after car forms a very different impression than one with showy bodywork kits, a larey spoiler, fat exhaust and tinted windows with "Hoonigan"/"Max Power Racing" window graphics and cartoons of stick men having sex. (Yes, there is a car in my town that has all those things.) The more sensible you look, the greater the chance they will let a mistake slide or give you a talking to rather than points.

You will also need to tell your insurance company about any changes you make, even if they don't affect the performance of the car. They will want to know you spent a grand on bodywork mods and another on alloys as, should your car be damaged or stolen, they're going to have to pay to replace all that stuff. It may increase the cost of your insurance a bit. From their point of view, a cool looking car may be more attractive to thieves. You may want to think carefully about what you do to your car as a number of insurance companies limit the number of modifications you are allowed. I think mine allow 3 mods only. Be honest with your insurance company. If you suffer a loss and they find stuff you haven't told them then they may be tempted to use it to try to say your insurance is invalid because the car isn't as described so they don't have to pay you. The insurance mark up may not be that bad. I think my friend pays £60 extra for his sports exhaust and a couple of other small things. You can always call them in advance and say "I'm thinking of getting X done to my car. How much would that increase the cost of my insurance please?"

If you're looking for mods that aren't too unsubtle, you could check scrap yards for a vRS the same generation and colour as your car. The vRS spoiler is nice looking. vRS seats are good. Please be careful and understand what you're doing if you decide to transplant the steering wheel as they contain an airbag that can cause injury if you accidentally set them off. There should be a second hand vRS wheels around as a reasonable number of people change them for aftermarket ones. If you want to make a "fake vRS", SkodaParts should be able to sell you the grille and rear badges. Please don't let anyone tell you that putting on stretch tyres and heavily lowering your car so it's "A"-shaped improves the stance. It will mess up the handling badly at the time you most need the car to keep it together. The vRS is 50mm lowered from the factory. If lowering it more would have made it better, they would have done it. If you get alloys, I advise you to get locking wheel nuts so you don't come out one morning and find your car on bricks.

Good luck. I hope you enjoy your car.

Paul

With all due respect I and with a wealth of modified cars experience disagree on many points, I have never been stopped or even looked at in the wrong way by the police. I have driven past them, had the behind me and allsorts but never so much of a filthy look. Agree with horrible. childish decals or stickers by the way!

Agree with telling the insurance about modifications, there are around 5-6 very good modified car insurers. I actually went from standard insurance to modified insurance and with everything declared I got a cheaper premium.  A lot of the times these are car enthusiast insurers and see you as more likely to take care of your car and drive sensibly because of the time and money you have put into it. My insurers allow everything visual to be added, free of charge. The only change they required a very slight bump to the premium was the stage 1 remap which took the car up by 70 brake horse power.

The VRS is 15mm lower from factory by the way, not 50mm. I went 20mm lower with eibach pro springs and am now 35mm lower. If I was 70mm lower I would know about it for sure! Lowering it even by 20mm HAS made it better. It corners better and feels fantastic, even the mechanic who fitted the parts commented on that!

All good advice but the modified car scenario isn't a minefield with police and insurance as it used to be!

As you can see I modified my car a lot, have an extra 70bhp, sports exhaust, induction kit, aftermarket alloys, splitter, diffuser, tinted windows etc etc etc and my insurance is cheaper than my insurance with normal insurers with no mods on the car! The power increase added £55 for the year only, everything else was a 100% free addition. Also with zero attention from the police.

Edited by HarleQuinn

Thank you. I stand corrected. Sounds like things have changed a lot, particularly with the Police, since I was 18.

I was told the vRS was lowered verbally. Sounds like he said "15mm" and I heard "50mm." I won't be lowering mine any more. Too many nasty speed humps around where I am, a couple of which I scrape the underside on if I go over them at more than 10 MPH.

Do you have a particular recommendation for an insurer to approach as I'm probably going to get a Shark remap put on the new car I'm about to get. That is a beautiful looking car you have. The mods all make it look better.

Thanks,

Paul.

Edited by Papfox

Just now, Papfox said:

Thank you. I stand corrected. Sounds like things have changed a lot, particularly with the Police, since I was 18.

I was told the vRS was lowered verbally. Sounds like he said "15mm" and I heard "50mm."

Do you have a particular recommendation for an insurer to approach as I'm probably going to get a Shark remap put on the new car I'm about to get.

Thanks,

Paul.

Not a problem, I hope I didn't sound condescending?

Don't get me wrong, many "boy racers" give the modifying scene a bad name and police have a heavy presence around meets and events as there are always a small percentage who are anti social. The good thing about the Skoda modified groups is that we are all generally 35+ years minimum. How many 20 odd year olds want a big Skoda Octavia, even if it is a VRS :D

I think your Ford ST, Audi RS, BMW M3 type cars get a bit more attention as a hot hatch does have a boy racer vibe. With that said if you aren't driving like an idiot the police won't bother you! Oh, the single worst mod to have for police attention in my opinion is a stupidly loud exhaust. I have a resonated exhaust and it sounds nice but isn't loud like the pops and nabgs you hear from other cars!

I wish my VRS had of been 50mm lower, although the ride would be too harsh. People generally go 35mm at most to retain comfort.

Insurance wise make sure you get quotes from these and go with the best...

Brentacre

Greenlight

Adrian Flux

Chris Knott

Sky Insurance

I found Greenlight and Brentacre the pick off the bunch!

• 2 weeks later...

My 2p, I prefer std look with a bit more go as well (more bite, less bark!).

That said - the the pre fl front bumper looks naff compared to the fl front bumper IMO. @Thorpe76 fitted one I think and I think it really improves the overall look.

I'm with @Papfox on having a plain looking car attracting less trouble.. more about how other drivers behave though. My plain looking mk1 octy had very little in the way of tailgaters. My mk2 vrs has already had one in less than 2 weeks of ownership, but let's see how it goes. Early days yet!

Also - I do quite like how @HarleQuinn 's car looks. Don't go for poorly fitting, naff-looking, implementations. Do it properly and it'll look a lot better.

Edited by bspman
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
On 07/12/2018 at 12:38, Thorpe76 said:

Heres a picture for you to see the fl bumper mod.

Thanks @bspman for the tag 

20180929_183639.jpg

Nice car brother! Where can i get the bumper and the rain guards that ship to Latvia? thank you