WiFi extension and routers

mattievrs

A real noob question here, but first some background. 

Ive got bt infinity and upstairs it’s great. I want to use it in my back porch and have used a WiFi extender in the past which is great when I’m on top of it but if I’m 5 meters away then it’s crap. I admit there is a closed door in between but it should still work. 

I’m now thinking of an additional router from the phone line socket downstairs with a cable and a router that’s nearer to the rear porch.......

is this his going to work or not? The internet line is wired into the master socket and has 3 lines off it currently so can I use a filter and another router or is it more in depth than that?

cheer

You can only have 1 router attached to the incoming phone line.

I use a Netgear EX6200 extender to provide coverage of both 2.4GHz and 5GHz at the far end of our bungalow from the incoming BT line, that works really well and gives coverage for much more than 5 metres.

as above, I have setup a system to provide Wi-Fi in a pub/inn so that all rooms connect back to the router (and it is over a 3 phase system) using power-line adapters. they all share the same SSID and password so devices can "roam"  throughout the coverage area.

I use tp-link ones as I find they work well and are very easy to setup.

John

18 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

I've never had much luck with power line adapters, they've never delivered anything like the data rates they claimed - that's why I gave up and went for an all Wi-Fi solution.

Yeah the figures on them are quite misleading. They basically deliver the headline figure divided by the number of adapters you have in the network. So if you've 100M kit with 4 adapters you're looking at 25M (max) per adapter. But remember you only need to have a figure that is close to your broadband speed or it's wasted anyway. They're not much cop for real networking where you might need Gb speeds.

Could you run a cable? I'm a big fan of good old copper for networking and Cat5 is cheap.

• Like 2