2013 Fabia Mk II vRS - rattle to left of engine?

SeaGoat

I have a 2013 Fabia Mk II vRS which has done about 48k miles.

It has developed a rattle which seems to come from the left side of the engine as you look at it with an open bonnet.

The rattle is quite loud (you can hear it from the driver's seat when the engine is idling).

The rattling speeds up as one presses the accelerator - i.e. is engine revs related.

There are no lights on the dashboard and the dipstick shows adequate oil.

The car has been regularly serviced by Skoda Authorised dealers.

Any suggestions as to cause and cure?

Something like this?

vRS engine rattle

I believe it's been discussed before with possibilities ranging from the dry clutches (not on the lhs though) through to the air-con compressor clutch engaging mechanism.

Have a forum search for further info.

Thanks for that.

Similar but probably not exactly the same - but that may be down to the original recording, YouTube and my speakers.

I will have a go at enabling and disabling the A/c and see if that makes any difference.

Edited by SeaGoat

Regular Dealership Servicing makes no different, just Oil & Filters and maybe you have had spark plugs changed, 

there is nothing else they do.

So was your car ever checked for the Timing Chain length, was the A/C ever serviced / re-gassed, has any actual preventive servicing and maintenance been done.

Did your DSG require Service Campaign '34H5' a software update, and was that carried out?

@ the 2nd Major Service some dealership techs change the fitted for life fuel filter because experience shows that is 'Simply Clever', 

and should be replaced.

The people that do the servicing might be the ones that can find the rattle.  They know the car or should and what they have done, 

or what to look for.

It makes no difference whether the A/C is on or off.

Parked stationary in the road I tried accelerating the engine to see what difference it made to the sound - which seems to increase as I accelerate.

However, I noticed that I don't appear to be able to accelerate above about 3,800 rpm when stationary - is this normal?

I have no idea what revs I might reach when moving - I haven't tested that at the moment.

Plugs were changed less than two years / 15k miles ago from original NGKs to Denso SKJ20CR-A8#4s.

34H5 was carried out about a year ago.

I am not aware that the fuel filter has ever been changed.

I am not aware that the timing chain has ever been measured - I thought it was a belt, connected to the water pump?

The A/C was recharged a while ago.

Edited by SeaGoat

Do not rev it above 3,800 rpm when stationary, even check for rattles.

The you have the supercharger engaged, then supercharger  with the turbo at 2,400 rpm and the turbo cuts out at 3,500, or should.

But as for revving a newly started twincharger i would never ever.

Let it start at the 1,100 rpm and then drop to the 800 or so and drive, just do not rev.

You notice when you put in S the RPM picks up, that is fine though.

Timing chain stretch that is not actually stretching has been an issue with some CTHE.

There is a TPI on it and Technicians can check that.

The Water Pump has the Supercharger magnetic clutch, 2 rubber belts to change.

That is Drivers side of a right hand drive car.

Bumped the timing chain thread for you, 

and here is another.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/424866-vrs-timing-chain

My advice is.  Stop usiung VW 504 / 507 so 5w 30 FS LL oil in Twinchargers and use VW 504 so 5w 40 FS, 

and keep using that Super Unleaded.

If not then get those spark plugs checked again, and if out they might as well get replaced.

Rattles need checked out and hopefully are nothing much, just a car getting older rattling and something needing a little attention.

Edited by Offski

The water pump has failed - bearings they think.
They are going to replace it mid next week.
It is going to be expensive.  DAMN!

I am getting a service done at the same time, is there anything else I should get attended to while they are working on it?

What are they quoting, £450 ish?

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/415178-fabia-mk2-vrs-twincharger-water-pump-numbers-supercharger-clutch

Is the car running OK other than the rattle.

I would ask the technician if he / she has done the water pump on a 1.4 TSI Twincharger.

Also ask is there a TPI that has been checked on the Timing chain tensioner.

Edited by Offski

The final bill with VAT, including the 50k / five year service (£202.80) and brake fluid replacement (£78) comes to £1,129

The parts used to replace the water pump (and sundries) were:

• 03C115561H    Oil filter
  • 03C121004J    Water pump (220.18)
  • 03C121665    Seal ring
  • 03C145933A    Ribbed belt
  • 03C260849A    Ribbed belt
  • B000750M3    Brake fluid
  • G013A8JM1    Coolant x 2
  • G052164M2    Cleaner
  • N90813202    Screw
  • N91096901    Screw * 3

They charged me labour charge of £156 to determine the fault and £748 to fix it!

Do I feel ripped off?   YES.

Do I blame Skoda / VAG?  Not really, no.  I blame the outrageous cost of labour at a manufacturer's approved dealership.

E&OE

• Sad 1

2013 twincharger,  5 year service, so so should be a Minor service.  no spark plugs, and have they changed the air filter.  Those were due last year on the major service.   Pollen filter was due at this service.  minor service should be £169 or less.  Brake fluid offer at service us £52 on the skoda UK site,  at participating dealers, cars 3-10 years on fixed Servicing.      So oil, filter, sump plug was in the service for £169 or even £202.80,   £54 brake fluid change.   water pump and parts £250 or even £300 if they wanted, diagnostic even charging £156 they are at the pith take for the time to do the water pump.   Someplace double counting us being done.  I would challenge the invoice and cost........so diagnostics,  parts and labour including vat £650 or £700 if they are being greedy.. 

Edited by Offski
  • Like 2

I can't really argue with the suggestion that I was ripped off.

However, I haven't really "worked on" any car for a VERY long time and I am not in much of a position to argue.

I will run the figures by Skoda H.O. but I doubt that that will make a blind bit of difference.

Next car for me will come from somewhere in the Far East again.

See here is 'Maintenance' for Brake Fluid Changes £54' , and Oil / Inspection Service Prices £99, and Minor or Major servicing at 'Participation Dealerships'.

Obviously some do not Participate and can charge less and others take the pith and charge more.  Question those why!

http://skoda.co.uk/finance-and-offers/service-and-maintenance/simply-fixed

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

Lost for words, £1129!!!!!!!

Ripped off every which way. I was always told that diagnostic charge gets waived if they get the repair work.

Did you not get a fixed price quote before authorising the work? I would have let out a big laugh in the showroom, and then phoned a local independent. Again my dealer used to price match, though it may be different now.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Offski said:

Labour Intensive work, but a Dealership can not just charge double the time needed to do a job at an hourly rate because the Technician or Apprentice or Fitter makes a meal of it.

I refer the honourable gentleman for Angus and the shires to the attempt made by Parks Skoda to quote £7400 for a job initially quoted at £1200......and if anyone made a meal of it by jings it was them.

On a serious note, the inconsistency of pricing across franchised network is appalling. If things were indeed simple, then replacement of the water pump should be a standard price, as should the policy around diagnostics be standard, as should servicing costs.

But of course, SUK will wash their hands of any such suggestion. All they really want is someone to have their badge above the door selling their product, how they maintain the sold vehicle and how much they charge is not something they appear to give 2 hoots about.

• Like 1

They certainly try it. Get away with it

Naming and shaming is really the only comeback many have.  There are some vRS waterpump threads here with members that had ridiculous quotes for the job.   Some might think the service desk staff were clueless,  some might think they did not want the job, but if they were getting it they might as well get as much cash money as they can get away with.

7 hours ago, Offski said:

. . . Naming and shaming is really the only comeback many have. . . .

From past experience, posts that name and shame get deleted.  Aside from that, I haven't yet encountered a Skoda Approved Dealership that I would ever recommend.

I will still return to a Far Eastern manufacturer for my next car.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1