Manual cruise control

I have manual cruise control.

The problem I have sometimes it that set (and resume) button doesnt want to set current speed, but instead it keeps decreasing / increasing current set speed (by 1 km/h I thing) and only way I found to make it work is cancel (turn off) cruise control, then turn it on again.

When the cruise control is active (the set speed in the display is white) the buttons just raise or lower the preset speed by 1mph, or 1kph. When the cruise control is inactive (set speed grey in the display), by braking or flicking the rocker switch to the right, then the bottom button will set the cruise control to the current speed and the top button will take the car to the previously set speed (the grey figure, which will now become white again as it is activated). 

Edited by Paulius55
error

So if its active you cant reset then set to adjust speed, you have to cancel then set?

I think when I have set it to certain speed like 130, then I press an accelerator to increase speed by significant amount like to 150, then I cannot preset set, it will not work, I have to cancel then set to store 150 now?

God, this is so confusing, I wish I have worked harder to buy an ACC..

Edited by toni8b

When active, if you accelerate (overriding the cruise control) as you say, there are these options:

- RES will act as "+" and increment the speed that is already set

- if you simply lift off the acceleration (as CC is still active) it will just slow down and hold on to that previous speed

- SET will match your current speed in the cruise control and hold on to it

In case you decelerate by braking then CC is inactive. Pressing RES will resume previous speed while SET will adjust to your new (current) speed.

If you just cruise at the set speed then pressing RES acts as "+" and SET will act as "-". The increment / decrement is of one unit per push. You may hold until the desired speed has been set.

20 hours ago, paulsoava said:

When active, if you accelerate (overriding the cruise control) as you say, there are these options:

- RES will act as "+" and increment the speed that is already set

- if you simply lift off the acceleration (as CC is still active) it will just slow down and hold on to that previous speed

- SET will match your current speed in the cruise control and hold on to it

In case you decelerate by braking then CC is inactive. Pressing RES will resume previous speed while SET will adjust to your new (current) speed.

If you just cruise at the set speed then pressing RES acts as "+" and SET will act as "-". The increment / decrement is of one unit per push. You may hold until the desired speed has been set.

Bold one is the same as you last sentence: "If you just cruise at the set speed then pressing RES acts as "+" and SET will act as "-".

That is what I am most confused about. Sometimes it does set higher speed (I am currently driving) while sometimes it just decrements.

Edited by toni8b

20 hours ago, brettikivi said:

i just spent three hours using this: press and hold will reset to your current speed, using either up or down buttons. 

- Bret

Doesnt press and hold just keep incrementing/decrementing current speed at higher level (faster)?  

So what you are saying is that:

You have CC set to x km/h; you then accelerate to x+10. While still at x+10 of you press SET that decreases to from the initially set x to x-1?

Because in my car in the above situation it would just change the set speed to X+10. And of course pressing twice would first set to x+10 and on the second push drop to x+9. That's how mine works anyway.

Hope you get it sorted. And don't get any speeding tickets in the process :)

16 hours ago, toni8b said:

Doesnt press and hold just keep incrementing/decrementing current speed at higher level (faster)?  

I thought that, and it's the way it works in my A2. It does not appear to work that way in the Octavia. I use it an awful lot here. I am reasonably sure there's two sets of operating logic here, though, for current speed higher or lower than target. The handbook doesn't go into this.

- Consider the set speed in CC as "target".

for speeds <= target:

- press + and the speed increases. Each press is +1km/h.

- press and hold will increase speed *if* current speed is <= CC target.

for speeds >= target:

- If the current speed is higher than the speed set on the CC, so 95km/h, with a target of 82km/h, then a long press will re-set the CC to current speed, so 95km/h. 

Does this help?

- Bret

22 hours ago, paulsoava said:

So what you are saying is that:

You have CC set to x km/h; you then accelerate to x+10. While still at x+10 of you press SET that decreases to from the initially set x to x-1?

Because in my car in the above situation it would just change the set speed to X+10. And of course pressing twice would first set to x+10 and on the second push drop to x+9. That's how mine works anyway.

Hope you get it sorted. And don't get any speeding tickets in the process :)

I think it works both ways in my car, but not at the same time of course. Not sure if there is logic behind this behavior. I dont need +/-1 adjustments really, I would only want it to always set to whatever speed I am.