Rusty Boot Lid

BobbyG79

Hi y'all,

There's been rust forming around the number plate lights on the rear hatch of my 2009 Yeti for some time now.  It's just starting to bubble up over the "lip" and onto the vertical section of the panel.

It's clear this has happened because of the number plate lights themselves becoming a bit tatty/cracked.  I've got some replacements but loathe to put them on until I've figured out what to do long term.

Anyone got any ideas as to what I could do?  I figure one option would be to replace the boot lid entirely, but wondered if this sort of thing could be fixable by a body shop?  Also, is it possible to get hold of unpainted panels?

Anyone else having a similar issue?  (might be worth checking because it's pretty well hidden unless you're in that area to replace a bulb or suchlike).

Would it be covered under the 12yr body warranty? Worth asking.

Last time I had rust issues with tailgates (VW golf) when I looked further inside the tailgate after removing the covers I was shocked to find the entire inside had rusted chronically, no paint. Crap.

3 hours ago, xman said:

Would it be covered under the 12yr body warranty? Worth asking.

As soon that question is asked I can imagine the dealers holding there stomachs and rolling around on the floor laughing :sweat:.............I know it shouldn’t be but it appears to be the case unfortunately.

• Confused 1

It should be covered under warranty. I had the exact same issue on my 2010 Octy Scout and the entire rear hatch was resprayed under warranty. They fitted replacement badging: Skoda roundel, Scout chrome trim and Octavia lettering, but bizarrely refitted the rusty VRN lights. 

Unfortunately they didn't do a good enough job and it has  come back (around the rear Skoda badge this time-5 & 6 o'clock position ) less than 2 years later. Again was told it would be covered under warranty. My only issue is they want to use the same company again, and the other Skoda dealership that I use had now been informed by SUK to start using them as well.  So currently looking at various options. 

9 hours ago, Fin69 said:

Unfortunately they didn't do a good enough job and it has  come back (around the rear Skoda badge this time-5 & 6 o'clock position ) less than 2 years later. Again was told it would be covered under warranty. My only issue is they want to use the same company again, and the other Skoda dealership that I use had now been informed by SUK to start using them as well.  So currently looking at various options. 

Hope you can get a new boot lid,that should sort it,if they can spray it ok

Assuming the rust has emanated from the inside out (and not the other way around), then it should be a genuine warranty claim.

My 8 year old, 153,000 mile Superb is booked in next week for a new bonnet at a Skoda main dealer under warranty, it has rusted behind the grill...

IMG_9001.thumb.JPG.465ac3de2dcfbf5b95fda1a112e26957.JPG

IMG_9002.thumb.JPG.d10a9b4bc45752196014e409eb2af5ba.JPG

• Thanks 1

Mine wasn't as straight forward as I alluded to.

The rust was first noticed three years ago. The first and second repairs were on-site smart repairs, which looked great, but didn't last longer than a year.

This'll be the third repair, and instead of a smart repair it's going into the bodyshop for a brand new bonnet. A tad overkill, there's probably only 3 or 4 years left in the old girl. If a smart repair could be made to last a bit longer I'd prefer a third attempt.

But at least the Skoda dealership acknowledged there was an issue and dealt with it.smart repairs don’t usually have a long life but I’m sure there’s somebody on here who’s had better results.