ASG Automated Manual transmission withdrawn from sale.

oldstan

Surprised no-one has yet commented.

HJ tells us that from 29th of October it was withdrawn from the Citigo.

(EDIT...just had a look and he says the same for the VW Up and Seat Mii too).

Edited by oldstan

this news was told to dealers in july 2018 as we tried to replace our 2014 ASG and they were not taking any factory orders :( 

Im sure the new emissions regulations had some impact on this and I expect they will either pre-reg the existing numbers (if they haven't already)

What is interesting is in the segment, there isn't a great deal of automatic choice - yes if you go up a size the issue they you should be ok. But what if you want a supermini class car with auto box? 

I've not driven the ASG, but the reviews I've seem have not been exactly glowing.

I suspect there's insufficient room to fit a DSG, and insufficient demand for VAG to make the necessary investment, especially with having to redo the emissions figures.

Using Autotrader as a not-entirely-reliable research tool, 6% of Citigos are auto and a mere 4% of Up!s

If someone must have an auto then a step up to a Fabia wouldn't be a total disaster (11%)

Autotrader is a good research tool if you just want to buy a car though, and see quickly if there are any sitting and advertised for sale.

Fabia 1.0MPI currently not available to the WLTP approval is through and a Facelift 1.0 TSI DSG really is a class up and a price step up.

0% of Citigo or UP or Mii were Auto, they are Automated Manuals and a pathetic version of those IMO.  2 pedals though and can be driven on an 'Auto only licence'.

Edited by Offski

• 2 months later...

Could the ASG come back to the Citigo ? (I do hope so)

Well, according to the chat I had with  VW customer service it is coming back to the up.

Me
Is the ASG automatic gearbox returning to the Up 12:45
VW
Hi, you're through to ***** at Volkswagen UK. I will be assisting you today. 12:46
VW
I can confirm that this model has ASG gearbox available. 12:50
VW
However, these models are not available to configure currently as they are awaiting WLTP approval. 12:51
Me
May I ask if you are interested in ordering a particular trim, please? 12:51
Me
how can they be available if you can not order them ? 12:52
Me
I may be interested in a high up 12:53
VW
As mentioned above these models are not currently open for order due to WLTP awaiting, however the
ASG gearbox is available for up! models 2019, you can see this via vehicle price list, please find the link
here: https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/order-a-brochure 12:53
VW
The high up! with ASG gearbox is expected to be released for orders at the end of January, so should
appear on the configurator soon

Edited by myself123

I've just done a live chat with Skoda UK who have confirmed that a decision is yet to be made about whether the Citigo ASG will be available as an option going forward.  Decision expected by the end of February. I was advised by my dealer that it had been discontinued and weren't able to advise me whether there would be any automatic options for this vehicle in the future.   I ordered a Fabia SE DSG and am hoping to collect in the next few weeks.